Bike for the wife

Whitie

Likes Dirt
Good on you for getting your wife out there. My hubby and boys let me tag along now but I have to do my "apprenticeship" on a hardtail both XC and DH. But they are thinking my life may be easier on a dually.
But being of the shorter stature( 5'2") I found I was fitted wrong for my first bike. I am short in the legs but longer in the arms and torso - something a lady rider in the bike shop pointed out to me when purchasing my Merida 17 inch Matts 400 (replacing a Giant - and I still didn't feel right on different models) so test riding first is an idea. I still find my stand over a struggle and have copped the seat in my back/backside on a few stacks and have altered my stem length for comfort. All things that are a natural progression. Apparently I need better forks - but I'm just happy to be out there participating.

Also I have been riding with more experienced women riders on several occasions both XC and DH and their explanations are so much easier than "You just do it like this mum." It gives you so much more confidence to try things.

I hope she enjoys it.

perch

Squid
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to buy a bike for my wife and was interested in the Giant bike range as they seem to give good bang for buck.
But we are still trying to decide between a TranceX or the Anthem. The bike will be mostly for XC etc and no racing.
Has anyone got any of these bikes or thoughts on the two?

thanks in advance

Cypher

Likes Dirt
The women's version of the Trance is the Cypher, which I have. If your lady has short arms/torso, this may be a good fit. However I have seen plenty of girls on the Trance and they seem to be having a lot of fun.

The Trance/Cypher has 5 inches of suspension and the Anthem has 4. Both feel pretty plush. The Anthem has a steeper angle for the forks - the Trance/Cypher is definitely slacker. I like this aspect :)

If she is going to do any racing you may like to go for the anthem - being a bit more racier. However if you want something fun in the air and on the steeps and not really concerned about overall speed during a race, then a trance/cypher may be the way to go. The cypher certainly climbs technical steppy things well.

Either way both are pretty good bikes. Not super flash but excellent rides. Have fun :)

chica

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to buy a bike for my wife and was interested in the Giant bike range as they seem to give good bang for buck.
But we are still trying to decide between a TranceX or the Anthem. The bike will be mostly for XC etc and no racing.
Has anyone got any of these bikes or thoughts on the two?

thanks in advance
My previous bike was a Trance (mens size 16) and I rate it.

I guess a few qns to ask is what kind of trails will she be riding, not just now but once she gets the bug!
If it is just firetrails and nicely groomed trails then maybe the Anthem is the way to go as it is lighter (i believe). If the trails she will be riding are more technical/steeper then a Trance maybe the way to go as it is designed for more AM style riding.

A couple of girls I ride with have the Womens Anthem and they ride Stromlo, Manly Dam, Appin with no problems.

I'm not sure where you live but I do know a few shops that do loan out demo bikes, so if you can get her to test ride an Anthem and a Trance before you shell out the $$ I would do it. I know in Canberra Onya Bike have Giants for demo. If you live in Sydney, i'd be happy to let her have a go on my Trance (it's not the latest model though, its a 2007) and I'm sure the girls I ride with that have the WX Anthem wouldn't mind letting her have a go of theirs either.

perch

Squid
Thanks for the feedback. We are leaning towards the Trance only because the Cypher is not available in Australia. We live in the St George region of Sydney and do basically Sydney trails and the Blue Mtns for rides but the Anthem is still very high on the list

NetBiker

Likes Bikes
Took my girlfriend (21) for a ride yesterday just on a road without any cars, she hasn't ridden a bike for 7 or so years and she didn't go quite as well as I thought she would've. Seemed to want to give up very easy on the slightest of hills, maybe its the bike its an old heavy malvern star (but looks brand new) I gave her of my mums just until we can sort something else out. I was thinking about maybe building her something up using some parts off chain reaction and 2nd hand off people off here, Womens bikes seem to be very expensive! I really like the look for the specailised safire but way outta the price range. Ive seen a few people say that brakes are better to be worn out, im assuming this is so when you grab hard you dont go over the hangers, are hydro brakes ok cause I thought the women wouldve rather used them as they have way way more feel and you can tell what they are doing and when there going to pull up.

Its so good to read hear the girls perspective on here and seeing the girls out at the trails, good on you! I want to take her to awaba in a month or so once she gets the hang of controlling the bike, is riding the single track a hard/daunting thing if your not use to bikes, I had no problems when I first road single track but then again I never get worried about trying new things either.

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
Gee, where to start, probably with a good on you for wanting
to share your passion for riding rather than making it your mistress. I won’t
patronise you by providing any warnings, but I have at least 50 cents to share. My (male) partner doesn’t ride, and
shows no interest and I don’t plan to go there.

I ride a bit with women who are starting out. Many of these female newbs have
tried to ride with their male partners and have had a fairly miserable time. I
do not say this as a slight on men, it may just be the nature of your special relationship.
You want her to ride like you and she wants to share something that you like.
Sometimes it takes a bit of time for those things to match up.

I take for granted that I ride a bit and am quite fit, reasonably strong and
have a nice light bike. So when I take all of that together, I have to work
really hard to keep the pace down. You are probably in the same boat. You might
want to work on flat fire trail for a bit to get her bike fitness up. Perhaps
take her on some scenic rides before you take her on the gnarly ones. If she is borrowing a bike I take it she doesnt even have commuting fitness.

As for single track, yes, for some people it is enough to get used to riding on gravel before you through a loose rock or stick in thier path, let alone throwing a turn or pinch into the mix.

I suggest you get her to ride with some girls. Girls tend to talk in detail
about what they are doing on the bike. Lots of clubs have women's networks.
There are websites like silent revolution that are great places to find other
women that ride. There are loads of one-day skills workshops around the
countryside that cater to girls. Many women comment on how they like the way
that women explain things and understand their fears and anxieties.

As for wanting to build her a bike, that so beautiful, but perhaps just get
something second hand until she is sure she likes it, perhaps with a nice frame
that you can upgrade over time. I really feel for those well meaning blokes who
build beautiful bikes that just don’t get ridden.

Good luck with it all you lovely boy!

Took my girlfriend (21) for a ride yesterday just on a road without any cars, she hasn't ridden a bike for 7 or so years and she didn't go quite as well as I thought she would've. Seemed to want to give up very easy on the slightest of hills, maybe its the bike its an old heavy malvern star (but looks brand new) I gave her of my mums just until we can sort something else out. I was thinking about maybe building her something up using some parts off chain reaction and 2nd hand off people off here, Womens bikes seem to be very expensive! I really like the look for the specailised safire but way outta the price range. Ive seen a few people say that brakes are better to be worn out, im assuming this is so when you grab hard you dont go over the hangers, are hydro brakes ok cause I thought the women wouldve rather used them as they have way way more feel and you can tell what they are doing and when there going to pull up.<br>
<br>
Its so good to read hear the girls perspective on here and seeing the girls out at the trails, good on you! I want to take her to awaba in a month or so once she gets the hang of controlling the bike, is riding the single track a hard/daunting thing if your not use to bikes, I had no problems when I first road single track but then again I never get worried about trying new things either.

Last edited:

indica

Serial flasher
My wife learnt to ride @ Smithfield in Cairns on a hardtail while pregnant and I am stunned that she continued.
Spend the money and get her a full sus bike, don't go riding on a really nice bike and get her a shitter.
We now ride XC and DH together.

safire

Likes Dirt
Be patient with your wife getting started. It can take a bit of time to build up the right muscles for biking even if you are fit. I started out on a heavy hardtail at age 34 after not riding a bike since primary school. Being reasonably fit already (regular runner and swimmer) did help but yep i was a bit wobbly and hills were a killer, especially on a heavy bike. I had no bike endurance to begin with and as I got more tired I made more mistakes, fell off and generally got grumpy about my lack of ability. I started riding with one of my (girl) friends who was also a beginner and that is what made all the difference. If I was riding with someone who was a lot better and fitter then I may just have given up.

I now have a much lighter dually and wish I had shelled out the cash sooner. My riding improved virtually overnight as did my confidence. Just not getting so tired all the time (from riding that heavy bike) meant that I could make it up the hills, get the power on to get over logs hiding round corners and generally less getting off and walking. Mtb was fun before, but having a lighter bike helped me ride better and for longer.

Def start on some flat, short and easy rides. I hope that your wife gets the bug and at the very first glimpse of that its time to get the credit card out and get her a nice light dually!

NetBiker

Likes Bikes
I started riding with one of my (girl) friends who was also a beginner and that is what made all the difference. If I was riding with someone who was a lot better and fitter then I may just have given up.
Maybe its a guy thing but I find if your doing someone whos better than you makes you learn really quickly to keep up with them. Ie if you go to the gym with a tiny little dude you lift similar stuff to him, If you go with a much fitter person you have to force yourself to keep up and lift abit more then you normally would, same on a snowboard or whatever if your with dudes trying 720s it kinda forces you to step up and have a go at least at some jumps. I usually prefer to ride/do stuff with people who are better so I am constantly pushing myself. I guess you need to have a basic degree of riding skill first before you want to do this.

michaelg

Likes Dirt
I recently purchased a new Giant anthem x29 for myself and a new anthem xw for my wife. And she loves it !!!

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Maybe its a guy thing but I find if your doing someone whos better than you makes you learn really quickly to keep up with them. Ie if you go to the gym with a tiny little dude you lift similar stuff to him, If you go with a much fitter person you have to force yourself to keep up and lift abit more then you normally would, same on a snowboard or whatever if your with dudes trying 720s it kinda forces you to step up and have a go at least at some jumps. I usually prefer to ride/do stuff with people who are better so I am constantly pushing myself. I guess you need to have a basic degree of riding skill first before you want to do this.
It's a guy thing!

A lot (not all, but most) women trying something new like mountain biking will be discouraged by being left behind - not inspired.

I like to ride with people technically better than me - because I learn... but riding with people way fitter than me just pisses me off and makes me want to give up. With a bit of encouragement I might try some techy stuff but a bit of encouragement doesn't bring the HR down on a climb. But that's after riding for a while, most girls when starting out feel like they are pretty crap at riding and having some dude there doing jumps and stuff just makes that feeling worse. Having another girl there who is just as crap but still having FUN makes all the difference.

Doggy

Inconceivable!
^ couldnt agree more. This was the case with my wife when she first started coming out riding with me. I just used to ride like I always did and she kept getting discouraged and not enjoying herself. Now, she always rides in front of me and I cruise along behind her letting her ride at her pace. Its helped her improve alot more and all I do is just get her tips on how to do a few bits and pieces.
Should be even more fun now she has a DH bike too:D

Missie

Cannon Fodder
My Hubby & i rushed in and bought a Kmart special one weekend as we wanted to go riding together along a beach track. By the first city block (before our ride began) I was swearing like a truckie and ready to throw the bike through a parked car's windscreen. To say the least, it wasn't a pleasant experience at all and completely put me off riding bikes.

Then, Hubby convinced me that a beach cruiser was more my style and we tried one out a Haro Cruiser and i fell instantly in love with it. The seat it HUGE and has so much cushion i can ride/cruise for ages without getting a numb butt. So our family got to enjoy rides all together even with mum on her cruiser.

For my hubbies Christmas present i bought two tickets for us to do the Mt Wellington Decent Ride and opted for the off road section as part of our deal. I was so scared but i loved it and to see my hubby in action was awesome. We got to share an experience which was frightening and exhilarating at the same time.
So my suggestion is take little steps and encourage to have fun. It's about the experiences shared along the journey.