Bike Geometry

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Digging up a 6yr old thread.

Seeking advice from the few geometry gurus on here.

I have a Nukeproof Scout and really dislike the shitty orange and red colour, I could get it painted which was the original idea and still an option.

It was bought as a spare bike but got smashed during the wait for my Highlander as I sold my SC in November and the Deviate was a little bit late. Riding it has made me realise that I have a need for a slack HT to do my local XC style rides with a bit more fun.

Buying a different frame is also an option but I want a frame that is IN STOCK, not waiting for frames that will be built and shipped next week or next month. Steel would be really nice but this bike is used for local rides and doesn't really matter.

Looking at the (in stock) BC Podsol 29er and my bike is 27.5 but the numbers seem to tally up pretty close, am I missing something here between 29 and 27.5 ?

My A2C on my 150mm Fox 34 is 550mm which is 8mm longer than recommended.

The only thing I can think of is the ~19mm lower BB height (difference between 29" and 27.5" tyre height divided by 2) that will be slightly offset by the longer fork A2C. The wheelbase is 31mm longer on the Podsol which is definitely a negative, the 17mm longer reach is good, the ETT is only 9mm longer and the chainstays are the same length.

All other parts will swap straight over apart from the headset.

Cheers

Wheel Standard: 12 x 148 mm (Boost)
Axle Type: 12 mm thru-axle
Seatpost (Ø): 31.6 mm
Seatpost Clamp(Ø): 34.9 mm
Head Tube: 1 1/8" - 1.5" tapered
Headset: ZS44 - EC44
Recommended Fork Axle to Crown: 542 mm (130 mm)
Recommended Fork Travel: 120 mm - 140 mm
Bottom Bracket Standard: BSA
Shell Width: 73 mm
Chainline: 51.8 mm
Brake Mount: disc PM6 (direct mount 160 mm)
Bottle Cage Mounts: 1

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Digging up a 6yr old thread.

Seeking advice from the few geometry gurus on here.

I have a Nukeproof Scout and really dislike the shitty orange and red colour, I could get it painted which was the original idea and still an option.

It was bought as a spare bike but got smashed during the wait for my Highlander as I sold my SC in November and the Deviate was a little bit late. Riding it has made me realise that I have a need for a slack HT to do my local XC style rides with a bit more fun.

Buying a different frame is also an option but I want a frame that is IN STOCK, not waiting for frames that will be built and shipped next week or next month. Steel would be really nice but this bike is used for local rides and doesn't really matter.

Looking at the (in stock) BC Podsol 29er and my bike is 27.5 but the numbers seem to tally up pretty close, am I missing something here between 29 and 27.5 ?

My A2C on my 150mm Fox 34 is 550mm which is 8mm longer than recommended.

The only thing I can think of is the ~19mm lower BB height (difference between 29" and 27.5" tyre height divided by 2) that will be slightly offset by the longer fork A2C. The wheelbase is 31mm longer on the Podsol which is definitely a negative, the 17mm longer reach is good, the ETT is only 9mm longer and the chainstays are the same length.

All other parts will swap straight over apart from the headset.

Cheers

Wheel Standard: 12 x 148 mm (Boost)
Axle Type: 12 mm thru-axle
Seatpost (Ø): 31.6 mm
Seatpost Clamp(Ø): 34.9 mm
Head Tube: 1 1/8" - 1.5" tapered
Headset: ZS44 - EC44
Recommended Fork Axle to Crown: 542 mm (130 mm)
Recommended Fork Travel: 120 mm - 140 mm
Bottom Bracket Standard: BSA
Shell Width: 73 mm
Chainline: 51.8 mm
Brake Mount: disc PM6 (direct mount 160 mm)
Bottle Cage Mounts: 1

View attachment 374181
The Podsol will in easence be a roomier version of what you already ride. Because the front is longer, but not the back your weight-bias may feel more rearward on the Podsol, and it could in a small percentage of situations be a bit more difficult to weight the front wheel in low-grip terrain. Conversely, if you current bike feels too short, the Podsol might be perfect. Do you know what fork travel/A2C the Podsol geo is based off? If it's 130mm and you're sticking a 150mm fork on it your BB height would probably end up about the same anyway, but the head angle would end up ~1° slacker. Sounds fun. :)

ozzybmx

Do you know what fork travel/A2C the Podsol geo is based off? If it's 130mm and you're sticking a 150mm fork on it your BB height would probably end up about the same anyway, but the head angle would end up ~1° slacker. Sounds fun. :)
Cheers @beeb was hoping you would chime in :)

Yeah can only see what they have on the page, I'm taking it to be 542 mm for a 130 mm fork.

The wheel base being 30mm longer is definitely a negative but good to hear about the BB.

beeb

Cheers @beeb was hoping you would chime in :)

Yeah can only see what they have on the page, I'm taking it to be 542 mm for a 130 mm fork.

The wheel base being 30mm longer is definitely a negative but good to hear about the BB.
Now I'm curious- If the wheelbase being longer is a negative, why do you want to change frames?

ozzybmx

Now I'm curious- If the wheelbase being longer is a negative, why do you want to change frames?
Just for the fact of liking the short wheelbase of the Scout, I realise a longer bike means longer wheelbase... it was one of the things I noticed really stood out from all the 29ers I have owned.
This increase takes it up to within 5mm of my Highlander WB and very nearly the same reach.

beeb

Just for the fact of liking the short wheelbase of the Scout, I realise a longer bike means longer wheelbase... it was one of the things I noticed really stood out from all the 29ers I have owned.
This increase takes it up to within 5mm of my Highlander WB and very nearly the same reach.
I'm going to hazard a guess that it's the short chainstays on the scout you're noticing as much (if not more than) overall wheelbase.

Also, remember geo changes with hardtails - their geo is typically measured with the suspension unsagged. If the unsagged geo of the Podsol says about the same reach as your Highlander, it'll have much longer reach at sag (and the head angle/seat tube angle steepen). At a guess it'll grow 12-14mm in reach at sag. Wheelbase compared to the Highlander will probably actually stay similar as the Highlander has the high-pivot induced rearward movement, but the weight bias will be very different.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is - What do you not like about the Scout?

ozzybmx

I'm trying to work out how colour relates to geometry.....
I wanted to swap out the frame for something else, I had one in mind and the question was put to me about what I didn't like about my existing frame... which came down to the shitty colour and maybe a little bit more reach.
Stripped it bare, can live with the reach.