BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

scblack

Leucocholic
Usually just the one - Anthem Adv SX. Still worth 4 figures I think ( I hope...). I dont even have it insured for theft outside the home as it never gets left unattended.

The Defy Adv Pro gets ridden to work so thats insured, but still I wouldnt leave it parked on the street anywhere!

Even the very best bike rack security merely slows down a decent bike thief...
My home contents insurance is with NRMA and bikes don't have to be listed to be covered. Anywhere.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
My home contents insurance is with NRMA and bikes don't have to be listed to be covered. Anywhere.
I just list a value for "portable goods" with NRMA on my contents insurance. Havent had to claim from them yet, but I like the simplicity and price of their cover.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Same, I'm with CGU and they don't have to be listed. They're covered anywhere in Australia or New Zealand up to $20,000 per item as long as I'm not racing for prize money.....

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Ive got it with Allianz and its way cheaper if I list the bikes with nominated values, and just nominate one bike to be covered out in the world with the others covered just for theft from the house/locked garage.

The mountain bikes are really only ever in transit between home and Stromlo/Kowen/Majura and hence with me at all times.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ok, single bike standard on a clio, do you want to be able to carry more? I have a single rack on the back of my 3, and that towball grip you posted yesterday would work a treat for it. Pics shortly.
I have two roof racks as well for my mates bike, but work and home are both low car parks so prefer the rear mount rack, but a double rack sticks out almost a metre. Is a pita on such a small car, plus the 3 has a vertical 50mm hitch receiver, whereas all the racks are horizontal 50mm.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Is only possible because of the shape of the hatch, works on our cx5 as well, but cranks need to be at 6/12 to make it work.
Yakima front loader, bunnings "shutter" alloy, bolts and washers

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
There are stacks of brands in Europe, at least a dozen good alternatives to the 918 and all cheaper by a bit or a lot. One from France called Mottez I liked the look of, and also Saffier from Holland.

Cheapest I found was this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Towbar-T...928138?hash=item51ce25b30a:g:u7AAAOSw-RRXBjU7

Not clear how that tightens onto the ball though...

But they all hold onto the frame the same way I don't like so I went the custom route. And I dont care how awesome the security is on a rack, I'm not trusting a multi-thousand dollar bike to it unattended in a public car park...
Cheers for the suggestions, will have a look.

I'm also not one for leaving bikes on the back of cars (extra vigilant after living in South Africa for a bit), but I was thinking more when you are going on a decent road trip and you need to stop for a coffee and a slash, and can't keep your eyes on bikes for 5 mins.

ryturn

Cannon Fodder
Any damage from towbar racks?

A question for those using the ISI or Gripsport towbar style.Do the bikes cop a bit of crap back there,l have always used fork blocks in a tray but the new vehicle has a tub and the Reign is just too long for that method.My preference is the ISI ,but road grime oil and rocks worry me a bit.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
No issues...occasional mud on bike tires but only on very bottom closest to road.

And i have an older ISI which i dont think has the clearance of the newer ones.

takai

Eats Squid
No issues on any of my racks, but i do have rally style oversized mudflaps on the ute though for towing.

NUTTTR

Likes Dirt
Are there any decent options for an "adapter" where a car has a ~40mm square hitch? Unfortunately I have 2 cars with different sized square hitches (other one is a standard 50mm)... I assume grip or ISI could make a rack with a 40mm shaft & then some tube to slide it into to make it work on the 50mm hitch??

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are there any decent options for an "adapter" where a car has a ~40mm square hitch? Unfortunately I have 2 cars with different sized square hitches (other one is a standard 50mm)... I assume grip or ISI could make a rack with a 40mm shaft & then some tube to slide it into to make it work on the 50mm hitch??
Yakima have a few that fit 32mm receivers. Otherwise, I'd assume your assumption is correct

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
There are several options for you Nutttr. With the iSi carrier, one is to select a pivot base to suit each vehicle and trailer that you would like to travel with. Each of the hitch pivot bases below are available with the 40mm stinger tube option. Mix and match pivot base mounts and then swap the carrier assembly to whatever you're travelling with on the day.

Or perhaps skip the 40mm version altogether and use a tow ball pivot base. The tow ball pivot base is actually a tow bar tongue mount designed to be installed onto a standard 65mm-75mm wide tongue. This pivot base has adjustable stops to keep the carrier from turning about the tow bar in the event of an emergency turning manoeuvre.

This is supplied with a high tensile screw and nut assembly so that you don't have to deal with trying to tighten a round tow ball.

Hope that helps.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Welcome to the exciting world of towballs and hitches. I've had crash course too when trying to use our existing rack on another car that also has hideously expensive rack options here.

Have a look at Etrailer https://www.etrailer.com/ the US have a better selection of sizes that us and much sharper pricing.
If you can get it on the Ebay international shipping deal then you are winning. They have a good range and best place to find out what you need before you actually buy it. They should have something suitable.

I have one of these to clear my Mazda's 3 bumper bars. The twin exhaust has different chassis mounting points hence different hitch receiver also needed. https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Draw-Tite/3594.html

Also note that the 'standard' towball here is 50mm ball with 7/8" shank use for towing caravans etc. Many of the smaller 'Class 1' rack hitches ustiable for bike racks are nor rated to lug around 1500kg's+ and are more around the 150kg or less only. If you have no caravan then you are all set. These have a 50mm ball but an uncommon 3/4" shank. Apparently it is common size used on Quad Bikes and not found in you local Autoparts emporium.

Switch

huskier headed gent
I have sent a query to Thule but lets see if the RB clan are quicker. I have a Thule Proride 591 roof carrier that I tried to fit to my 2005 Subaru Outback with OEM cross bars and the supplied T bolts heads are too large. I believe this was a common problem with the older Subbies, and the wrap around clamp wont fit either. Has anyone found any lower profile T bolts or have another solution to the problem?

Beej1

... my 2005 Subaru Outback with OEM cross bars
I had the exact same Outback and carrier. When I purchased my car there were two OEM cross bar options - Thule and Rola. Completely different profiles. But regardless, I had the Rola variety which sat above the roof rails, and I had to take the end caps off these and after measuring where the carrier would sit (2 bolts up front, 1 at back), I then slid the rubber bit out of the bar, cut it where the rack was going to sit, slid the cut rubber back in and tried to mount it.

Turned out the 'T' part was too big for the slot in my Rola's. I went to the closest roof rack shop and they had some thinner T bolts in stock (as in, the top of the 'T', which is the bottom since they're upside down, was too thick). Swapped them over for free, which I wasn't expecting.

Mounted the carrier, put the remaining bits of rubber back in, end caps on, and hey presto.

FWIW the Rola bars, though visibly more streamlined, were noisy as shit. On my next car I got Whispbars, which are completely silent. Plus the rubber bit in the groove is a tube that expands from inside the bar, so you just push the carrier t-bolts in over the top of this - no cutting.

In the end, I ditched all of it and got one of George's carriers, which was probably over-engineered for my 90% on-road driving. But there's no denying the quality and strength of those things, and a rear towbar carrier was infinitely easier and better than roof mount. Better economy and less bugs on bike on long trips. No low garage/carpark/drive-thru issues.

But I'm a lazy bastard - in the end I just bought a truck and a tailgate pad. Which is the best carrier system I've had so far.

scblack

Leucocholic
I have sent a query to Thule but lets see if the RB clan are quicker. I have a Thule Proride 591 roof carrier that I tried to fit to my 2005 Subaru Outback with OEM cross bars and the supplied T bolts heads are too large. I believe this was a common problem with the older Subbies, and the wrap around clamp wont fit either. Has anyone found any lower profile T bolts or have another solution to the problem?
As nuclear-powered says, just go to a roof rack store and they will have plenty for you.

Switch

huskier headed gent
I had the exact same Outback and carrier. When I purchased my car there were two OEM cross bar options - Thule and Rola. Completely different profiles. But regardless, I had the Rola variety which sat above the roof rails, and I had to take the end caps off these and after measuring where the carrier would sit (2 bolts up front, 1 at back), I then slid the rubber bit out of the bar, cut it where the rack was going to sit, slid the cut rubber back in and tried to mount it.

Turned out the 'T' part was too big for the slot in my Rola's. I went to the closest roof rack shop and they had some thinner T bolts in stock (as in, the top of the 'T', which is the bottom since they're upside down, was too thick). Swapped them over for free, which I wasn't expecting.

Mounted the carrier, put the remaining bits of rubber back in, end caps on, and hey presto.

FWIW the Rola bars, though visibly more streamlined, were noisy as shit. On my next car I got Whispbars, which are completely silent. Plus the rubber bit in the groove is a tube that expands from inside the bar, so you just push the carrier t-bolts in over the top of this - no cutting.

In the end, I ditched all of it and got one of George's carriers, which was probably over-engineered for my 90% on-road driving. But there's no denying the quality and strength of those things, and a rear towbar carrier was infinitely easier and better than roof mount. Better economy and less bugs on bike on long trips. No low garage/carpark/drive-thru issues.

But I'm a lazy bastard - in the end I just bought a truck and a tailgate pad. Which is the best carrier system I've had so far.

This is exactly the problem I am having with the large size head on the T bolts, but can't find any lower profile T bolts anywhere. I have tried all the local suppliers and am not finding anything online, the joys of living in rural area.

An ISI or Grip carrier is the longer term option but it was just a $ thing and ease of having the roof mount permanently in place to just throw it on and go. I could grind down my existing T bolts but am concerned it would compromise the integrity too much.