BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I thought it was for cars that had a low bumper (so it avoids needing to cut the bumper). In any case I might have to go for this option as it looks like lots of swan necks for my car but only one option for a normal tongue and ball style.
No, they're just the standard style in Europe. Had one on my Clio that still required a small bumper cut, although my Megane didn't need a cut.

The Oz style square receivers are overkill for my cars - they're great if you're towing 2 tonnes with a UAV, but the swan neck it rated for the 1000kg towing limit of the Meg anyway. I just reckon they're neater too :)

I bought one from eurocarparts.com (UK based), another source is micksgarage.com. Otherwise ebay, but some sellers you'll need a freight forwarder (I used one for this https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Towbar-Tow-Bar-Renault-Megane-II-2-Grandtour-Saloon-2003-2008-swan-neck/263382052268?epid=1082281055&hash=item3d52cb2dac:g:ys8AAOxyl5lSJGGv&_sacat=0&_nkw=megane+saloon+towbar&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313).

Looks like this https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/in...and-answered-here.291955/page-44#post-3094407

Calvin27

Eats Squid

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Looks good. I guess with yours there is less chance that the bike will get damaged, possibly only the rack. With the Thule one, if it gets loose, the whole bike is kaput and there are more degrees of freedom.

I'd still prefer a tongue and ball though. I am looking at about $380 for swan and $500 for tongue and ball. The tongue and ball comes with cables though.
$500 is good. I paid $950 fitted for mine

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Looks good. I guess with yours there is less chance that the bike will get damaged, possibly only the rack. With the Thule one, if it gets loose, the whole bike is kaput and there are more degrees of freedom.

I'd still prefer a tongue and ball though. I am looking at about $380 for swan and $500 for tongue and ball. The tongue and ball comes with cables though.
If you want a rack that clamps onto the ball though, bear in mind the ball can itself turn on the tongue if the bolt isn't super tight. Ball cant turn obviously on a swan neck bar.

DMan

Not sure how much is fitting. I'd do it myself, but right now between places and sharing one car and no garage. Any idea how much fitting would be?
Does your car have reversing sensors? That was the problem with mine. All had to be hooked back to the computer with some beaut box which means lots of panels off to run wires. I would guess that you'd be up for a few hundred to fit and wire it in?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Does your car have reversing sensors? That was the problem with mine. All had to be hooked back to the computer with some beaut box which means lots of panels off to run wires. I would guess that you'd be up for a few hundred to fit and wire it in?
Nah no reverse sensors. More for rear lights and indicators etc. Lets see how much this little guy can tow haha!

DMan

Nah no reverse sensors. More for rear lights and indicators etc. Lets see how much this little guy can tow haha!
Might not be as bad then! Just be aware that if it's like mine not only can I only tow 750kg but the towbar itself is only rated to 75kg on the ball. So if you're carrying 4 bikes and the rack it's probably going to be at the limit.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
My Clio was a 900cc three cylinder (with a turbo though) - it didn't care about the rack and bikes, and I doubt whatever you have it has a smaller engine :)

I miss that car, it was such a hoot to drive... Just floor it everywhere and worry about maintaining corner speed - could drive it like a complete knob everywhere and not worry too much about my license!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Might not be as bad then! Just be aware that if it's like mine not only can I only tow 750kg but the towbar itself is only rated to 75kg on the ball. So if you're carrying 4 bikes and the rack it's probably going to be at the limit.
How did you know I needed to put ebikes on there? :p

Calvin27

Eats Squid
My Clio was a 900cc three cylinder (with a turbo though) - it didn't care about the rack and bikes, and I doubt whatever you have it has a smaller engine :)
Worse - it's the other half's car - an auto.... :O

I was never much of a big power car sort of guy. Had mx5s, 86s lightweight hondas and always loved lotus.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not a single speed per se, but the same thing
Only thing to be wary of is that you need to have enough room for wide bars, I haven't seen if the single speed offers some sort of adjustment from that perspective

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
Not a single speed per se, but the same thing
Only thing to be wary of is that you need to have enough room for wide bars, I haven't seen if the single speed offers some sort of adjustment from that perspective
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't consider bar width. I'm running 760mm so not too wide however it will be fitted to a station wagon. Which rack is in that photo? Have you had any headaches with that style of rack?

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That is a mount off a holdup on a bracket bolted to the towbar. I made it about 2 years ago - initially using one of the mounts off my holdup, but I sourced another one later - .
No issues at all with it - super stable, nice and compact when not in use.
Bar width depends a lot on your car - if it is a sedan or hatch, or even a tourer style wagon then no issue. If it is a fourby or something with a very straight tailgate (like a forester) then you may have to push it back a bit - also need to watch the pedals on the bumber.
Mine doesn't tilt - a limitation I live with. I did see a mod where a bloke bought a holdup - and the + 2 bike extension (arm only) and modified it to be a 1 + 1 (or was it 1+2) bike that I thought was gold, but I can't find it at the moment

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
Thanks, for all the advice. I pulled the trigger on the single speed today. I found some pics online of one fitted to the same Subaru liberty model as mine and looked to be plenty of room. After seeing a bike move around a fair bit on the roof of a car (same roof mount I have) I will be super happy to have something a bit more secure.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Thanks, for all the advice. I pulled the trigger on the single speed today. I found some pics online of one fitted to the same Subaru liberty model as mine and looked to be plenty of room. After seeing a bike move around a fair bit on the roof of a car (same roof mount I have) I will be super happy to have something a bit more secure.
Would you be able to measure a couple of dimensions for me when it arrives?

I'm interested in:
1. The packed/folded dimensions i.e. when in storage
2. The offset from the hitch pin hole to the centre of the wheel carriers, as shown by the X below (for handlebar clearance).

Sketch.png

Thanks heaps

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
Would you be able to measure a couple of dimensions for me when it arrives?

I'm interested in:
1. The packed/folded dimensions i.e. when in storage
2. The offset from the hitch pin hole to the centre of the wheel carriers, as shown by the X below (for handlebar clearance).

View attachment 347706

Thanks heaps

Hey mate, this just arrived today. I was looking for these dimensions online also, happy to help.

1. 970 x 640 x 270mm packed down (If your really tight for space I guess you could remove the hitch to rack bar that would bring it down to around 400mm wide)
2. 430mm from the hitch pin hole to the centre of the wheel carriers.
Roughly weights 9kgs

This is my second Yakima rack and the build quality is on par with the other I own (roof mount).
I would happily recommend this rack.