BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

goobags

Likes Dirt
I recently bought a Seasucker (the single bike one). I can't fault the rack itself...super sturdy and ain't going nowhere....BUT... I have a 2018 VW Golf R and to get that amazing 0-100 acceleration, the roof must be made of thin alfoil because the metalic flexing noises when driving scare the crap out of me. I'll be selling my Seasucker in the next week or so.
Mines on a 2015 Gti, can’t imagine the roof is that different in them.

Edit: 2018 would make it a 7.5, so there could be differences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
I recently bought a Seasucker (the single bike one). I can't fault the rack itself...super sturdy and ain't going nowhere....BUT... I have a 2018 VW Golf R and to get that amazing 0-100 acceleration, the roof must be made of thin alfoil because the metalic flexing noises when driving scare the crap out of me. I'll be selling my Seasucker in the next week or so.
Goobags posted a photo in this thread of his with the front mounted (mostly?) to the windscreen rather than the roof.

petertronica

Likes Dirt
All over the webs...but I’ll take some later. Posted these on the wrong thread the other day. View attachment 363472
Hey @moorey,
I'm thinking about getting this rack.
Can I ask you - how much clearance is there between the end of the handlebars on the bike on the left and the top tube on the bike to the right of it? I've heard that on some racks the bikes can jiggle about a bit, and the brake levers/bars can scratch the top tubes, could that happen here?
thanks in advance!

moorey

call me Mia
Hey @moorey,
I'm thinking about getting this rack.
Can I ask you - how much clearance is there between the end of the handlebars on the bike on the left and the top tube on the bike to the right of it? I've heard that on some racks the bikes can jiggle about a bit, and the brake levers/bars can scratch the top tubes, could that happen here?
thanks in advance!
Hey mate. Can depend. I just chucked those bikes on for a snap. You need to load in order of bike slackness and fork travel to ensure no issues with anything touching. I reckon if you had 5 identical bikes with long bars, you could bet problems with any of these upright racks. TBH, any rack where you load 4-6 bikes without considering the positions, you could get issues. I loved my previous Grip rack, but was a 15 minute job to load 4 bikes and get everything set just right.
With this, if I see a bar or levers close to a top tube, I know I’ve been lazy in my bike placement and it’s a 30 second swap.
@foxpuppet has just bought one. I’m sure Mitch pointed out the correct loading method/order. He might like to chime in on how it’s going.

moorey

call me Mia
5 various travel and wheel sized bikes loaded. No possible touching, even if I wobble both bikes side to side viciously.
Hard to photograph clearance properly.
Apologies for sideways pics.

Hools

Likes Dirt
Can anyone give a comparison of the Gripsport and ISI racks? I've had an ISI and it was rock solid but heavy, the Gripsport looks a bit more complicated, possibly lighter though?

moorey

call me Mia
Cool. Not familiar with all the models. I had a tilty 2+2. Sturdy, great clearance, slow to load up. Got a Single Trail upright now. Could never EVER go back.

Hools

Likes Dirt
Cool. Not familiar with all the models. I had a tilty 2+2. Sturdy, great clearance, slow to load up. Got a Single Trail upright now. Could never EVER go back.
They look great for shuttles. Not so sure for long trips? Why do you prefer it? Quicker to load up?

moorey

call me Mia
They look great for shuttles. Not so sure for long trips? Why do you prefer it? Quicker to load up?
Excellent for long trips. 30 seconds to load/unload 5 bikes. Nothing touches the bike.
Biggest thing for me is loading time. I use daily.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say

This is from just after mounting, I’ll put my bike on the left and take a pic to show what happens as it has 800 wide bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm going to have to figure out how to get one of those to hang off the back of the T4 cab chassis which doesn't have a tow bar. The ladder rack support bar underneath the old Tip Top alloy tray seems like a good mounting point...

moorey

call me Mia
I'm going to have to figure out how to get one of those to hang off the back of the T4 cab chassis which doesn't have a tow bar. The ladder rack support bar underneath the old Tip Top alloy tray seems like a good mounting point...
If it can be done, Mitch will engineer it. He’s done some wikkid customizations. Give him a call.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
@moorey Do you have the details for the guy who did your rack? Also how heavy is the 5 bike setup sans bikes? I want to mount this at the back of the camper trailer and would have to remove it to set up as the camper folds backwards (thought about a swingarm type affair but will start with this if it aint 100kg's) Loading 5 bikes on the roof racks sux arse.

Can anyone think of something I'm missing mounting this to the back of a camper trailer?

moorey

call me Mia
@moorey Do you have the details for the guy who did your rack? Also how heavy is the 5 bike setup sans bikes? I want to mount this at the back of the camper trailer and would have to remove it to set up as the camper folds backwards (thought about a swingarm type affair but will start with this if it aint 100kg's) Loading 5 bikes on the roof racks sux arse.

Can anyone think of something I'm missing mounting this to the back of a camper trailer?
Hey cobber, Single Trail Racks. FB is best place to look, his net page is a bit more sparse these days. https://www.currieengineering.net/single-trail-racks/
Mitch is on 0408 932 405
They aren’t the lightest, but mine stays on the Ute, and I’ll take sturdy over light any day.
Can’t find good pics at the moment, but he does them to mount to camper trailers and caravans as well.
I believe he also offers a double hitch option, so if you have a long drawbar, you can attach in front of trailer. Does swing out option by special request. I think @Plankosaurus might have one.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

The weight of the rack and loaded with 5 bikes is probably 80-100kg hanging off the back of your camper, then the leverage would be a consideration on your ball weight total.

The back of a camper trailer also gets bounced about quite a bit as its anchored at the tow ball, the bikes will get a good work out.

Have a look at mounting on the 'A' frame.

moorey

call me Mia

The weight of the rack and loaded with 5 bikes is probably 80-100kg hanging off the back of your camper, then the leverage would be a consideration on your ball weight total.

The back of a camper trailer also gets bounced about quite a bit as its anchored at the tow ball, the bikes will get a good work out.

Have a look at mounting on the 'A' frame.
Yep, there's a fair force with bikes bouncing around. I cringe seeing some flimsier brands wobbling around, and resorting to ratchet straps and braces to hold them together. If it was mine, even in the last pic, I'd attach the top of that rack to the trailer, if it isn't already.
Up the front on the drawbar is a better option.