BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

Sorry meant to post these earlier.... took them a few weeks back.

No issue with fouling on frames with 800w bars. There is enough overlap.

However removing a bike from the middle would be awkward. Need to unload left to right and reload right to left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raulio

Cannon Fodder
This rack is as easy a setup as it gets... Drop onto the ball, pull down the handle and lock. Plug in the lights... Bike lifted on and ratchet hook pushed down - done.

Bikes stuck out a little on each side on the Clio here, but not beyond mirror width. Better on the Alfa.

View attachment 363250
View attachment 363252
View attachment 363251
Hey mate, where did you get the light set to put on the carrier? I can't seem to find them on their website. Thanks

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Hey mate, where did you get the light set to put on the carrier? I can't seem to find them on their website. Thanks
I made it. Lights, plug and wiring off ebay, cut and crimped to length. Light brackets made from random metal from the nuts and bolts aisle at Bunnings...

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Any auto electricians onboard here?

I have a Thule rack with a 7point plug, it would have been on the back of the new car 20ish times with no issues then on one occasion after mounting it stalled and Xmas treed...since then every time I load it up it loses all the heads up displays, cruise control, basically all the safety features...Subaru have been pretty good and rectified the problem under warranty 6 times now (they say they have replaced the headlight light steering module @$1k - I say a fuse @.20c) understandably they are getting the irrates...is it worth taking the rack to a sparky to check the plug or do the problems lie deep within the cars memory and should I burn it to the ground and just buy a Jeep or a Ram.

Minlak

custom titis
Any auto electricians onboard here?

I have a Thule rack with a 7point plug, it would have been on the back of the new car 20ish times with no issues then on one occasion after mounting it stalled and Xmas treed...since then every time I load it up it loses all the heads up displays, cruise control, basically all the safety features...Subaru have been pretty good and rectified the problem under warranty 6 times now (they say they have replaced the headlight light steering module @$1k - I say a fuse @.20c) understandably they are getting the irrates...is it worth taking the rack to a sparky to check the plug or do the problems lie deep within the cars memory and should I burn it to the ground and just buy a Jeep or a Ram.
Don’t know if this helps I had a trailer whenever I plugged it into the Subaru Outback I lost brake lights and the car would go into limp mode (also would lose headlights and stuff - this only happens on the Subaru no other car that towed the trailer.
Rewired the trailer to exactly the same pattern just redid all connection to the plug and lights - never had another problem

Litenbror

Eats Squid
New to the roof mounted bike rack world as I have always had a tow ball mounted one or a Ute. I picked up a couple of racks off gumtree and it looks like they don't really fit new geo mtbs very well. To get it secure I have to have the bike very far forward which I'm not super happy with, any advice from people who have used this type of rack?

Last edited:

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I had 3 of those Thules on the roof at one point but got a new bike (carbon and slacker) and it sat the same way as yours, I wasn't overly keen on the clamping of the frame or position so sold them and bought Yakima Highroads...problem solved.

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
New to the roof mounted bike rack world as I have always had a tow ball mounted one or a Ute. I picked up a couple of racks off gumtree and it looks like they don't really fit new geo mtbs very well. To get it secure I have to have the bike very far forward which I'm not super happy with, any advice from people who have used this type of rack?
View attachment 372027
Looks like you got some rack spare at the rear.

Pretty sure you should be able to (after taking the rack off) move the main mount back (or, if you prefer to think of it the other way, slide the silver tray forward). That should get both wheels properly on the tray.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Looks like you got some rack spare at the rear.

Pretty sure you should be able to (after taking the rack off) move the main mount back (or, if you prefer to think of it the other way, slide the silver tray forward). That should get both wheels properly on the tray.
I tried moving the main mount but it didn't budge. I didn't take the whole thing off but I undid the mounts and it looks like the front mount is fixed and the rear moves to fit the different roof racks.

Minlak

custom titis
I tried moving the main mount but it didn't budge. I didn't take the whole thing off but I undid the mounts and it looks like the front mount is fixed and the rear moves to fit the different roof racks.
Pretty sure the front one moves but you loosen some bolts from underneath move it and re-tighten them