BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
That’s pretty cool if you have the skills, little tip, you’ll still get some bounce - grab some cam straps from Bunnings and tie down your crank to your mid rail - the angled strap gives both vertical and horizontal clamping. Where did that kit come from?
I have the time, skills and a nice welder..
I get quite a bit of bounce with the Yakima that I am currently running as it sticks quite far out the back when setup with all 4 carriers on it, but this kit will put the lower rail inline with the tray on my ute, so should be able to firm up with ratchet straps pretty easily.
dude on FB selling them, makes up to order, can post up a screen shot with details if peeps are interested..Deathrig Fabrication

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any one heard of these guys? Knock off maybe?

Velocirax-aus 412

The time has come. As of December I will have to fit three full size bikes in the boot, which can be done, but two of them have 9mm QR and I can't be arsed taking the wheels in and out and faffing with the brakes Every. Single. Fucking. Time.

The Curries one is leading at the moment.
Single trail (Currie) all the way. Got mine recently. Solid, well thought out, quality everywhere you look. Should outlast my riding career. Buy the best and you’ll only buy once.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I get quite a bit of bounce with the Yakima that I am currently running as it sticks quite far out the back when setup with all 4 carriers on it, but this kit will put the lower rail inline with the tray on my ute, so should be able to firm up with ratchet straps pretty easily.
dude on FB selling them, makes up to order, can post up a screen shot with details if peeps are interested..Deathrig Fabrication
Would you be willing to weld up a second kit for cash money?

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
I was meaning bounce with the bikes - I found bungees still leave a bit to be desired on the rear wheel. Ratchets will firm up the rack itself no worries - you could make it easy on yourself and add a couple of attachment points but it sounds like you have it sorted.

Attachments

moorey

call me Mia
yep..is that a good thing or a bad thing, not familiar with the man!
I'm sure no issue. I just had a weird interaction with him on FB. Someone was after Shingleback V Velocirack advice, and he piped in with his kit build, saying anyone with a welder could assemble his. I said they'd need to be a reasonably competent welder, as I've even had premium quality professional racks crack at a weld with the constant weight of bikes. He went off on his engineering and flat pack experience, and that most rack builders are essentially cowboys. I reiterated I wasn't questioning his engineering, just the welding skills of the average guy buying them then using a $50 Supercheap welder to assemble it. I said I'd had a premium rack snap a few years back, and the company replaced and fixed the bikes. He said they were a bad welder and it wouldn't happen if he welded....completely missing my point that he won't be welding these, adnit may well be done by the same guys who install forks backwards.
He went on a bit more, dissing rack builders and touting his engineering skills, completely missing my point, then deleted all the posts and started messaging me about this being his new sideline business, and I was making him look bad...
Like I say, I am 100% sure he knows his shit, and a suitably skilled welder would knock it out perfectly.
I didn't reply to his messages, but I am curious about warranty if it fails. Blame the home assembly?

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I'm sure no issue. I just had a weird interaction with him on FB. Someone was after Shingleback V Velocirack advice, and he piped in with his kit build, saying anyone with a welder could assemble his. I said they'd need to be a reasonably competent welder, as I've even had premium quality professional racks crack at a weld with the constant weight of bikes. He went off on his engineering and flat pack experience, and that most rack builders are essentially cowboys. I reiterated I wasn't questioning his engineering, just the welding skills of the average guy buying them then using a $50 Supercheap welder to assemble it. I said I'd had a premium rack snap a few years back, and the company replaced and fixed the bikes. He said they were a bad welder and it wouldn't happen if he welded....completely missing my point that he won't be welding these, adnit may well be done by the same guys who install forks backwards.
He went on a bit more, dissing rack builders and touting his engineering skills, completely missing my point, then deleted all the posts and started messaging me about this being his new sideline business, and I was making him look bad...
Like I say, I am 100% sure he knows his shit, and a suitably skilled welder would knock it out perfectly.
I didn't reply to his messages, but I am curious about warranty if it fails. Blame the home assembly?
TL;DR

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
One would think it would be have to be unrealistic to warrant past receipt of the parts, given the welding, RHS, and coating are outside of the supplier’s control. They’re smart though, taking away the two biggest cost components of a commercial rack, the welding and powder coating.

moorey

call me Mia
One would think it would be have to be unrealistic to warrant past receipt of the parts, given the welding, RHS, and coating are outside of the supplier’s control. They’re smart though, taking away the two biggest cost components of a commercial rack, the welding and powder coating.
Yep. Just to clarify, this dude seems to absolutely know his engineering. I stalked his page. Some impressive work. It’s guys like me I absolutely wouldn’t trust.

moorey

call me Mia
As long as you can do the weldering downhand it should be ok. I had to weldings the trailer coupling section overhead and vertical up though the joggle was downhand. Fuck I hate overhead. It hurts even through a cap.

Anyway nothing a grinder cannot fix.

I’m sure every fat dad will have no one issues.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
As long as you can do the weldering downhand it should be ok. I had to weldings the trailer coupling section overhead and vertical up though the joggle was downhand. Fuck I hate overhead. It hurts even through a cap.

Anyway nothing a grinder cannot fix.

Welds should never run crossways on a longitudinal member, it creates a stress riser and will cause it to crack and fail.