BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Any one heard of these guys? Knock off maybe?

Velocirax-aus 412

The time has come. As of December I will have to fit three full size bikes in the boot, which can be done, but two of them have 9mm QR and I can't be arsed taking the wheels in and out and faffing with the brakes Every. Single. Fucking. Time.

The Curries one is leading at the moment.
Not a knock off, big in the US

Mooman

Squid
One would think it would be have to be unrealistic to warrant past receipt of the parts, given the welding, RHS, and coating are outside of the supplier’s control. They’re smart though, taking away the two biggest cost components of a commercial rack, the welding and powder coating.
The biggest costs in a commercial rack are the wholesale and retail markups. A rack shouldn’t take more than an hour to build. Especially not for a simple design like most vertical racks on the market.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
The biggest costs in a commercial rack are the wholesale and retail markups. A rack shouldn’t take more than an hour to build. Especially not for a simple design like most vertical racks on the market.
Ignoring the design side, if you can fabricate a rack from raw stock in under an hour for 40 hours every week, had that efficiency while being made in Australia then you would be at a price point no one else could match.

While I can’t talk for others, welding and powder coating together make up more than 50% of our wholesale cost.

As for the retail, a lot of their margin gets eaten up in freight, even when they “pass it on” it’s often just a % rather than the whole cost - these things are expensive to ship. But at the end of the day they have to make a profit on it or what’s the point in selling it?

Edit: apparently the deathrack is 3-5 hours…
1810E842-8FED-4BA4-90AA-B55177AF597F.jpeg

Last edited:

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
How long do Curries generally take to process an order? Placed mine last Friday and it hasn't moved from the processing stage since. Not panicked, but I thought something would have happened by now.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How long do Curries generally take to process an order? Placed mine last Friday and it hasn't moved from the processing stage since. Not panicked, but I thought something would have happened by now.
I ordered about 7 weeks ago and they processed within a few days. Might be worth flicking them an email.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
All is good. Email came back, expecting to ship no later than Nov 26 :D

Now I just have to deal with Vic Roads to get a mini number plate. :rolleyes:
Not sure if the rego office in Vic (Mildura) is the same as the ServiceSA orifices but we have the option to get it posted for $10-$15 or pick it up.

A 45 minute wait in a packed service centre, with a ticket, waiting for your number to pop up, just to ask for the plate is shocking.

I would pay double to get it posted next time.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
3d printed some tidy little mounts for a set of cheap led tail lights for the single trail rack. Initially put screw holes in the design to bolt it to the rack, then thought I would t mind some cable tie holes so I can test fit without putting holes in the rack. I reckon I might just leave it at that though, cable ties are structural right?

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Not sure if the rego office in Vic (Mildura) is the same as the ServiceSA orifices but we have the option to get it posted for $10-$15 or pick it up.

A 45 minute wait in a packed service centre, with a ticket, waiting for your number to pop up, just to ask for the plate is shocking.

I would pay double to get it posted next time.
Website doesn't say anything about paying extra for postage, but the options are call centre or rego office. Neither are convenient when your work days are 6am to 6pm, and your "days off" are pretty similar.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
3d printed some tidy little mounts for a set of cheap led tail lights for the single trail rack. Initially put screw holes in the design to bolt it to the rack, then thought I would t mind some cable tie holes so I can test fit without putting holes in the rack. I reckon I might just leave it at that though, cable ties are structural right?

Interesting concept. What are peoples thoughts, would this still qualify as unobstructed once you put some bikes on, would it be enough to get you a warning because at least you tried?

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Interesting concept. What are peoples thoughts, would this still qualify as unobstructed once you put some bikes on, would it be enough to get you a warning because at least you tried?
Yeah, I think it's in the grey area zone. Its definitely less obstructed there than the cars lights, but there's angles it might be obtructed from. In all honesty though, if you manage to not see all those lights, you probably need to get off Facebook

See how I go I guess, gotta be better than nothing

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Yeah, I think it's in the grey area zone. Its definitely less obstructed there than the cars lights, but there's angles it might be obtructed from. In all honesty though, if you manage to not see all those lights, you probably need to get off Facebook

See how I go I guess, gotta be better than nothing

Agreed, I definitely need to stop procrastinating with mine. Perhaps this will be the inspiration that motivates me.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Agreed, I definitely need to stop procrastinating with mine. Perhaps this will be the inspiration that motivates me.
Yell out if you want some printed, or if you have a printer and just want the STL. The mounts are specifically made for a cheap eBay light set, the lights sit in the mount for a nice flush setup

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Yell out if you want some printed, or if you have a printer and just want the STL. The mounts are specifically made for a cheap eBay light set, the lights sit in the mount for a nice flush setup

Hold up... let's not get too hasty.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
As long as the brakes lights are easily seen or glow past the loaded rack, you would be doing your best to make them visible.

My Singletrail is about 2.5yrs old, probably done well over 15,000-20,000km with about 20 x 600km trips to Melrose, all local shuttle days and a 5000km lap of Tassie, I have no additional tail lights and never had an issue, though that might also depend on the vehicle height/width, light location, brightness of the lights ect...

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
As long as the brakes lights are easily seen or glow past the loaded rack, you would be doing your best to make them visible.

My Singletrail is about 2.5yrs old, probably done well over 15,000-20,000km with about 20 x 600km trips to Melrose, all local shuttle days and a 5000km lap of Tassie, I have no additional tail lights and never had an issue, though that might also depend on the vehicle height/width, light location, brightness of the lights ect...
Similar story with mine, plenty of trips and never had an issue. I just know how dirty I'll be if I do get pinged when it really isn't too hard to at least look like I made an effort.

When I was looking at eBay, I noticed I bought those lights mid June. Procrastination is definitely strong here too

Meh, I've still got plenty of time then.