BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
3d printed some tidy little mounts for a set of cheap led tail lights for the single trail rack. Initially put screw holes in the design to bolt it to the rack, then thought I would t mind some cable tie holes so I can test fit without putting holes in the rack. I reckon I might just leave it at that though, cable ties are structural right?

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
I’m in the process of adding lights to the supplied number plate bar. Will post pics soon. Much more compact than the light bar they sell. Again, not 100% if it complies, but I can’t see it being an issue.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I’m in the process of adding lights to the supplied number plate bar. Will post pics soon. Much more compact than the light bar they sell. Again, not 100% if it complies, but I can’t see it being an issue.
I had sort of thought about adding one of these little motorbike led strips to the plate holder. I could have a socket attached to the rack to make it an easy option and easy to remove too.

But kinda stopped short because I want to run the plate double sided (in case wifey takes it) and we'd need to have the lights on front and back which might end up being annoying in the rearview mirror. Still a thought bubble.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Couple more pics

Hard to imagine not being able to see these lights, especially in conjunction with the car lights that wrap around the side a little. You'd have to be willfully ignoring them I reckon.

I was thinking of doing something very similar. Good idea with the 3D printing.

geekman

Squid
Website doesn't say anything about paying extra for postage, but the options are call centre or rego office. Neither are convenient when your work days are 6am to 6pm, and your "days off" are pretty similar.
I got one recently, 5 min call (with no wait time from memory) and 5 days later it arrived in the post.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I had sort of thought about adding one of these little motorbike led strips to the plate holder. I could have a socket attached to the rack to make it an easy option and easy to remove too.

But kinda stopped short because I want to run the plate double sided (in case wifey takes it) and we'd need to have the lights on front and back which might end up being annoying in the rearview mirror. Still a thought bubble.

Velcro

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I lament the loss of Velcro on my shoes (laces, who has time for laces?), But not sure id trust Velcro to hold my plate. Could do a bolt and wing nut I guess, but now we're angling towards actually doing this which I was really angling against

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Not sure if the rego office in Vic (Mildura) is the same as the ServiceSA orifices but we have the option to get it posted for $10-$15 or pick it up.

A 45 minute wait in a packed service centre, with a ticket, waiting for your number to pop up, just to ask for the plate is shocking.

I would pay double to get it posted next time.
I can be a tight ass at times (Im dutch). Anyway, I just took a photo of my number plate, printed and laminated. With velcro on the back, I transfer it between bike rack and trailer when being used. Worked for years

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I lament the loss of Velcro on my shoes (laces, who has time for laces?), But not sure id trust Velcro to hold my plate. Could do a bolt and wing nut I guess, but now we're angling towards actually doing this which I was really angling against

There is some seriously good Velcro stuff available. I use it to hold the mudflaps in position on the other woman.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
Interesting concept. What are peoples thoughts, would this still qualify as unobstructed once you put some bikes on, would it be enough to get you a warning because at least you tried?
Unfortunately technically not if you put a bike over them, they look pretty big so you could probably check to see if you can see them through the bikes at the required distance and angles to give you an argument if pulled over? Motorcycle indicator combos on the end of the mid rail would be legal though - so long as they don’t stick out past the vehicle (a 6 bike rack might be iffy). My personal opinion is light boards are probably the easiest option on vertical racks - there’s some cheap ones on eBay - you’ll just need to make sure they’re wired correctly (plenty of wiring diagrams online).

Again ‘technically’ there’s a minimum distance requirement between the lights - if you get a copper on a bad day they could still ping you, one would hope they would see the effort made.

I can be a tight ass at times (Im dutch). Anyway, I just took a photo of my number plate, printed and laminated. With velcro on the back, I transfer it between bike rack and trailer when being used. Worked for years
So much bad news in one post - only the official accessory plates are legal in most states - this one really annoys me as we have a print division and could quite literally print a copy of anyones plate on retroreflective sticker to put on their light boards for a few dollars instead of $30-$80 from the government

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Jebus. I know materials have gone up. Surprised they hadn’t already gone up. It’s a chunk dearer than most competitors, and totally understand why people buy one of the numerous knock offs at 1/2 the price, but I haven’t seen any others I’d buy instead. Not for everyone though. I used mine daily, without fail, and it never comes off the Ute.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Jebus. I know materials have gone up. Surprised they hadn’t already gone up. It’s a chunk dearer than most competitors, and totally understand why people buy one of the numerous knock offs at 1/2 the price, but I haven’t seen any others I’d buy instead. Not for everyone though. I used mine daily, without fail, and it never comes off the Ute.
if there was concern for knock-offs muscling their way into the market, why would you increase the price?...going to price yourself right out of the market.
they do look like a quality piece of kit, but were these the ones that were recalled earlier in the year?..release to market and let the consumer do your R&D for you.
Meanwhile in a town far far away< I am still doing the prep on my DIY kit that I got off Deathrig Fabrications.... all pieces are laser cut and quite precise but still requires a fair bit of grinding and tidying up the cut edges. will try to finish off on the linisher over the next few days as I am off with kids again due to the schools panicking about covid and closing them 2 days after reopening!

moorey

call me Mia
they do look like a quality piece of kit, but were these the ones that were recalled earlier in the year?..release to market and let the consumer do your R&D for you.
Not R’n’D, he found a potential fault, made an improvement, he provided the improvement free of charge. What more can you ask?
I wish you well in yours. I’m scared for others without your skills whacking one together with a $50 welder, and no paint/powder coat/electroplating. I’m certainly not his market, but wish him well.