BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
If ebikes with suspension are @20 kg sign me up...
Levo SL ?

Anyway, doesn't matter if they are 20, 22 or 25kg, if you have 5 of them coming down on your head the shape of a 140kg Christmas tree, you are not stopping them.

I got caught out with 4 regular bikes at half the weight.

You have nowhere to grab and save yourself/bikes, 5 sets of handlebars coming down on your head.

bobob

Has $20
Sorry, I wasn't considering that a small travel, half battery biks was the norm. Why are you shuttling turbo levo SL? Add a decent amount of travel, battery and tires. The best thing about an ebuke is you can run decent tires.
You are at 25+kg each pretty quick..

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sorry, I wasn't considering that a small travel, half battery biks was the norm. Why are you shuttling turbo levo SL?
I dont shuttle ebikes nor do I ride one.

Was referring to the post on the previous page where the tilt assist might be good for ebikes,

Single Trail also have a new EZLOAD model being released. It allows you to roll the bike in from ground level on the back wheel without having to lift it at all. It will be great for ebikes and vertically challenged people like my wife.
I have experienced 4 normal bikes coming down on my scone.

Wouldn't like to be holding up ~130kg of ebikes.

bobob

Has $20
No doubt that transportation of ebikes is required. I'm (*am) curious if hanging the weight of the battery and motor is considered in a vertical rack. I.e. hanging it all off the steerer and headset.
$100’s are the most effective.
Like a half cheewed mintie

moorey

call me Mia
No doubt that transportation of ebikes is required. I'm (*am) curious if hanging the weight of the battery and motor is considered in a vertical rack. I.e. hanging it all off the steerer and headset.
Considering the constant forces on a bikes fork and headset during even moderate riding, I can’t imagine the static forces are an issue in a rack. I’m not an engineers cloaca though. Others might disagree.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Considering the constant forces on a bikes fork and headset during even moderate riding, I can’t imagine the static forces are an issue in a rack. I’m not an engineers cloaca though. Others might disagree.
Yes, I had the same argument with someone on a horizontal rack that just holds the bike by the wheels. They were saying that stress on the wheels would damage them, where in reality the forces on the wheels when riding, with 5 to 6 times the bike weight of the rider and the dynamic loading is by far exceeds any load of the bike on it's own sitting on a rack even when you factor in a rough road.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Yes, I had the same argument with someone on a horizontal rack that just holds the bike by the wheels. They were saying that stress on the wheels would damage them, where in reality the forces on the wheels when riding, with 5 to 6 times the bike weight of the rider and the dynamic loading is by far exceeds any load of the bike on it's own sitting on a rack even when you factor in a rough road.
If the crown can deal with being hard on the brakes from warp speed into brake bump ruined corners with 100kg plus of lunatic on board, it’s going to be fine being suspended from the front wheel…