BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That's cool, what spacing do you have for the mtb's centre to centre? I have something similar in the garage but they are too far apart.
They are about 180mm centre to centre. I have another one in the garage as well but since moving I cut it into individual stands.

Yeah, I saw a few designs similar to this and they seem simple and effective but wouldn't fit in a dual cab tray, so had to look for alternative set-ups. Do you find the bikes are just as stable going front in?
If I can put the bikes in rear wheel first they are more stable. But with 4 bikes in, not counting the road bike shown, it is all stable enough. I just have to rotate the cranks on each bike as they go in so they don't rub on each other on the chance that they might move. It hasn't been a problem yet though. Another thing I do if the bikes need to go in front wheel first is just run ocky straps from the bars to the rack to help keep them from moving.

2StageMan

Likes Bikes
If I can put the bikes in rear wheel first they are more stable. But with 4 bikes in, not counting the road bike shown, it is all stable enough. I just have to rotate the cranks on each bike as they go in so they don't rub on each other on the chance that they might move. It hasn't been a problem yet though. Another thing I do if the bikes need to go in front wheel first is just run ocky straps from the bars to the rack to help keep them from moving.[/QUOTE]

I thought the stability might be compromised a little bit but yeah the ocky straps are a good idea, thanks for sharing.

stoo

Likes Dirt
No choice but to put them on the roof of my little shorty. I have three fork mount thingys, 2 x standard QRs and 1 x 15mm mount. I could probably fit 5 bikes up there but it's only a 3 seater car.

ChopSticks

Banned
wish I had a ute :(

but this does the job for now.... Saris Bones 3 with adaptor bar

decided to spend $$$ on getting a decent rack after a nasty incident involving a speed hump, cheap rack and serious damage from dragging my bike 10m before stopping and numerous nasty gouges to my bumper and paintwork :(

stoo

Likes Dirt
You jerks blocking out tail lights / indicators / rego plates are asking for trouble from the funstoppers but it'd sure beat staggering up onto the roof with bikes and taking the front wheels off....

landy_man

Likes Dirt
Stoo, you must have some badass gear there to be able to make that roofrack.. nice work bro.

Me.. I run a Gripsport hi-ride carrier.. works well on the back of the Amarok..

2StageMan

Likes Bikes
That spring set-up looks awesome. I wish I started this thread before I built my rack but oh well. Has anyone had much trouble with the police in regards to lights and number plates being covered? The main reasons I built my rack was to try overcome this issues when putting bikes straight over tailgate as well as other issues. Anyone got any suggestions of what to cover the foam on the rack as well to reduce scratching of frames?

haltz

Likes Dirt
Fits 5 bikes quick and easily, damage free and doesnt need a single strap if you dont want to, doesnt hurt but when you get an excited rider too keen to get back to the top
my ute rack1.jpg
my ute rack.jpg

That spring set-up looks awesome. I wish I started this thread before I built my rack but oh well. Has anyone had much trouble with the police in regards to lights and number plates being covered? The main reasons I built my rack was to try overcome this issues when putting bikes straight over tailgate as well as other issues. Anyone got any suggestions of what to cover the foam on the rack as well to reduce scratching of frames?
The coppers love handing out tickets to DH'ers for blocking tail lights and number plates. So much so, they hover on a race weekend knowing its any easy sting. Hit up ebay, buy a pair of LED indicator/brake blocks and a plug to fit your vehicle, some simple wiring and you're all legit!

SprocketFury

Likes Bikes
What about those with hatchbacks? PSYCHO-T's getting rid of the ute, meanwhile last week we had to shove a Stab in the back of my Satria - it helps that I don't have rear seats (they came out for transporting dogs) but I wound up scratching the bumper up with the pedals in my struggle to get it in, and we had to take the front wheel off to fit it in. I looked online for roof racks to fit bikes onto, and it seems like $300 for the rack, and another $300 for the bike adaptors - you've gotta be bloody kidding me!

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What about those with hatchbacks? PSYCHO-T's getting rid of the ute, meanwhile last week we had to shove a Stab in the back of my Satria - it helps that I don't have rear seats (they came out for transporting dogs) but I wound up scratching the bumper up with the pedals in my struggle to get it in, and we had to take the front wheel off to fit it in. I looked online for roof racks to fit bikes onto, and it seems like $300 for the rack, and another $300 for the bike adaptors - you've gotta be bloody kidding me!
I'm hearing you loud and clear...at the moment I'm transporting the DH bike in the back of Honda Civic..pain in the a$$ with thru axle f + r! Ok if it's just me in the car I can leave rear wheel on...if taking a passenger it's both wheels off!

Also been looking at new cars, I must have a tow bar! However I've been told by some car dealers that some models aren't approved for towbars...most recently brand new Ford Focus! WTF!?!?!?!?

SprocketFury

Likes Bikes
Also been looking at new cars, I must have a tow bar! However I've been told by some car dealers that some models aren't approved for towbars...most recently brand new Ford Focus! WTF!?!?!?!?
What, for real? But they're decently sized for a hatch. Weird!

My dream* car, which I found while I was looking for a business car - wagon, not a 4WD, rear seats had to fold down without gaps, and fit LARGE dogs - is the Peugeot 308 Touring. The rear seats just fold out! And there is plenty of room to lay bikes down in one, or you can indeed fit a towbar. Not a huge size jump from a hatchback, the space is utilised a lot better. I can tell you all about them, been back to drool on them so many times that the dealer offered me a job. :p

(*not counting the Mustang collection)