BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

nick82

Likes Bikes
I'm hearing you loud and clear...at the moment I'm transporting the DH bike in the back of Honda Civic..pain in the a$$ with thru axle f + r! Ok if it's just me in the car I can leave rear wheel on...if taking a passenger it's both wheels off!

Also been looking at new cars, I must have a tow bar! However I've been told by some car dealers that some models aren't approved for towbars...most recently brand new Ford Focus! WTF!?!?!?!?
Hey mate, I have a Hayman Reese towbar on my LW Focus (2011) with a Grip sport rack, haven't had any problems. :thumb:

Last edited:

2StageMan

Likes Bikes
The coppers love handing out tickets to DH'ers for blocking tail lights and number plates. So much so, they hover on a race weekend knowing its any easy sting. Hit up ebay, buy a pair of LED indicator/brake blocks and a plug to fit your vehicle, some simple wiring and you're all legit!
Sounds like a good idea, i'll have a look. Cheers

finksta

Likes Dirt
wish I had a ute :(

but this does the job for now.... Saris Bones 3 with adaptor bar

decided to spend $$$ on getting a decent rack after a nasty incident involving a speed hump, cheap rack and serious damage from dragging my bike 10m before stopping and numerous nasty gouges to my bumper and paintwork :(
Hey Chopsticks, how do you find the Saris for ease of loading, especially multiple bikes? and does it bounce around much while driving? I've been looking at getting one of these, cheers.

ChopSticks

Banned
Hey Chopsticks, how do you find the Saris for ease of loading, especially multiple bikes? and does it bounce around much while driving? I've been looking at getting one of these, cheers.
loading is very easy with the adaptor bar (I keep it in the rack) and just 'load' my bike into the adaptor instead
no bounce or ANYTHING, solid AS !!!!! no flex NOTHING !!!!

I havent tried loading any more than 1 bike on this (even though its designed for 3)
but one problem I can foresee is as the closer you go towards the car, the rack arms widen, and it may get in the way. Really comes down to your bike frame design and most importantly SIZE ! (my reign is a large but still sits awfully close to my frame)

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate, I have a Hayman Reese towbar on my LW Focus (2011) with a Grip sport rack, haven't had any problems. :thumb:
Interesting...is that the new shape Focus? Old mate Ford dealer was adamant that a tow bar wasn't approved for the car thus voided warranty and possibly insurance...basically I said it was a must have and he said can't be done, so he turned us away!

I've been looking at the new Hyundai i30's...emailed Hyundai and they said approved towbar is coming out in a couple of months, missus wants the car all I'm fussed about is the towbar hahaha! :p

nick82

Likes Bikes
Interesting...is that the new shape Focus? Old mate Ford dealer was adamant that a tow bar wasn't approved for the car thus voided warranty and possibly insurance...basically I said it was a must have and he said can't be done, so he turned us away!

I've been looking at the new Hyundai i30's...emailed Hyundai and they said approved towbar is coming out in a couple of months, missus wants the car all I'm fussed about is the towbar hahaha! :p
Yeah its the new shape. The shop I went to does all the installations for the the local Ford dealership. The owners manual says don't exceed 75 kgs at the ball and I think it can tow around 500kgs. I'd get the Ford over the Hyundai, quieter, better engine and handling. Best pick of the bunch of small cars out there at the moment at the price range.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah its the new shape. The shop I went to does all the installations for the the local Ford dealership. The owners manual says don't exceed 75 kgs at the ball and I think it can tow around 500kgs. I'd get the Ford over the Hyundai, quieter, better engine and handling. Best pick of the bunch of small cars out there at the moment at the price range.
Interesting, I might PM you with some questions!

redbruce

Eats Squid
Second this - if not issued by RTA in your state/territory (i.e. you didn't pay the government for it) then it's NOT legal...I know of a father taking his young son and bike to Thredbo and paying a massive (several hundred dollars) fine when stopped by NSW police. I guess the idea of a parent doing something like that for his son didn't cut it when there was the option of making money for the government coffers
Edit: deleted

Last edited:

frostty74

Likes Dirt
I got pulled over and booked a few months ago on the M5 for an obscured rear plate due to the bike being on a rack. I was issued with a $353 fine and 3 points. At the time I had a makeshift plate on, but the cop was having none of it.
So yesterday I had my day in court and contested the fine. I provided pictures of the makeshift plate and my new $37 RTA issued plate ( the makeshift was over twice the size) and gave an explanation of the situation.
Thankfully the judge was reasonable about it all and dismissed the fine under a Section 10 1a. No loss of points, no $$ and no court fees. Stoked!!!!

Now, what to buy with the $$ saved.....

epic

Likes Dirt
North Shore Racks

I drove past a guy up near home in Kembla today with a 4 x north shore rack (on a black WRX, if he is a member).

Where do you get them, how'd you get them in AUS?

If anyone has got any valuable info, it would be appreciated...

Tried emailing the company through the website but I have had no response after about 3 weeks.

Are there any alternate vertical hanging tow ball racks out there, I remember seeing one at NSW state race last year on a Hilux but it looked like a custom job.

Last edited:

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Im pretty sure they're illegal in Australia as they dont pass the Australian Standards or RTA dimensions for a bike rack.

I hope Im wrong though, I wish we could get them - would make life a lot easier!

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Interesting.... where did you hear that they are illegal? Cant see how when compared with the crap you get from repco/supercheap etc....is theer a site that states it etc?

Martinpb on this forum has the 6x one and it works very well. Its very well made and a dream to load up. Also it holds the bikes very securely without covering any lights etc. He did have to get it imported however and it cost him over 1k......

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome racks. Hard to get, mainly because of the price of shipping. I've had mine for about a year, never had any trouble with the 5-0.

The Arubutus racks are even nicer, but same issues.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just had a carrier fabricated by a shop that makes trailers. Drew some pictures of what I wanted, had a conversation with the owner and he built what I wanted. A lot less expensive than some racks I had been looking at locally and online, and the final bill was less than he quoted as he was able to use off cuts. I picked it up after they had primer coated it and painted it myself. Pretty bombproof and reasonably light to boot. Maybe a fabricator may provide a solution?

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
I just had a carrier fabricated by a shop that makes trailers. Drew some pictures of what I wanted, had a conversation with the owner and he built what I wanted. A lot less expensive than some racks I had been looking at locally and online, and the final bill was less than he quoted as he was able to use off cuts. I picked it up after they had primer coated it and painted it myself. Pretty bombproof and reasonably light to boot. Maybe a fabricator may provide a solution?
Do you have a picture of it? Sounds good!

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
01092012(006).jpg01092012(005).jpg01092012(003).jpg

Apologies for the poor quality, however you can get the general idea. I am modifying the upright so I can insert/remove two pins to allow the rear wagon door to open/close. I wanted my bike to sit between the upright and my car and I have inserted 4 x M8 eyelets with nylock nuts so I can attach 2 x ratchet straps to secure my dually.

EDIT: Worked that one out

Last edited:

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting.... where did you hear that they are illegal? Cant see how when compared with the crap you get from repco/supercheap etc....is theer a site that states it etc?

Martinpb on this forum has the 6x one and it works very well. Its very well made and a dream to load up. Also it holds the bikes very securely without covering any lights etc. He did have to get it imported however and it cost him over 1k......
Ok maybe not, guess as long as it doesn't stick out more that 1200mm behind or 150mm either side, it should be sweet.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_10.pdf