BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

rstim

Likes Dirt
Saw Yakima racks are on sale at Anaconda at the moment might be able to save a few bucks if you go that way.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

agentninety3

Likes Dirt

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt

agentninety3

Likes Dirt
Yes,
1, is it easy to fit to a car
2, once set up is it easy to fit different sized bikes on
3, space to attach a number plate holder permanently?
4, robust or a flimsy heap of .....
http://www.rhinorack.com.au/product...riers/accessories/number-plate-holder_rbca011
1. Yeah, you shove it in the hitch receiver and pop the bolt in. Flip up the vertical arm and you're ready for bikes.
2. All the wheel trays and top clamps are adjustable via a ratchet mechanism. It's simple to switch between my Defy and my Optic in the one slot.
3. You probably could, but Yakima don't make one as an accessory. Depends on how a third party one would attach.
4. Robust. Probably not as hardcore as the ISI racks, but inline with competitors like Thule. Way better than those boot mount style.

HTH

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Seen a Shingleback rack on a mates vehicle lately. Been 100% happy with my ISI for approx 5-6 years now but like the handiness of this shingleback when I dont need the strength of the ISI.

It would be really easy for us to do shuttles (getting the kids skills up)

Thinking about a 4 or 5 bike rack... anyone got one ?

http://www.shinglebackoffroad.com/shingleback-rack/

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What’s the long term reviews of the Yakima Hold Up rack...

http://www.yakima.com.au/2/Accessories/view/22/Holdup-2
I've had mine for a couple of years now, only in 2 bike mode and only used on the cx5
I find that it sits a long way back, as the back on the cx5 is quite raked, and clearance would be an issue as well because of that. This would be a huge issue in 4 bike mode.
Mounting wise it's easy, and the locking anti rattle pin is brilliant.
It's easy to tilt it with or without bikes on
The racks themselves are again, brilliant, mounting any bike easily in 30 seconds. I've had to be creative with the 16" bike, as the mounting bar only goes down to 20"
I've actually got one of the racks off the bar on my 3, mounted straight to the towbar with a piece of channel
For our purposes its ideal, could be better (mainly the length and height at the back of the rack as a result), but we aren't doing any off roading so it's a secondary consideration

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really happy with my ISI rack over the last 2.5 years. I guess the negatives of being harder to store and bulkiness is offset by how solid the whole setup is. Once the bikes are on the back I don't have to think about them whether on the highway or when low range is engaged. My only gripe is its a bit harder to lock everything up. But I guess no matter what rack you've got on the back, even the best locking system will only keep the honest ones at bay. I've switched out my t-handle bolts for torx bolts so to remove the bike you need torx allen keys plus the cable and lock.

Just got back from a trip around NE Vic, checking out some mountain biking, snow with the kids and most importantly, the breweries!

https://flic.kr/p/BRxyqo

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
I love my ISI rack, but buying a new vehicle means that the current hitch mount won’t fit any more so I’ll need to buy a new pivot base and main beam. I’m also considering carrying 4 bikes which means more parts. It’s all going to come to the price of a new rack which is pretty disappointing for something that was meant to be a lifetime product.
I’ll most likely sell it and buy one of the new gripsport 4 bike carriers.

Advice would be if you do buy one, don’t listen to their recommendation for the correct parts for your vehicle. Get the parts with extra clearance from day one and save yourself the expense later (or just get the gripsport)

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
I love my ISI rack, but buying a new vehicle means that the current hitch mount won’t fit any more
Joe_MTB why not take advantage of the BuyBack program? It’s detailed at the bottom of this web page here: http://www.isi-carriers.com/features.html

My thoughts have always been to configure equipment that is perfect for the current demands but with a degree of flexibility for the future – a mindset that has served us well over just over four decades of adventure travel. A product that has versatility in design allows the operator to add and swap stuff as the demands evolve over time and regardless of the car. Drive anywhere with the bikes below the roof, above the tow bar, within the sides and of course be able to get into the back.

If I draw a parallel from the cycling world, instead of a shed full of bicycles…..it’s like having a bicycle that you can add and swap stuff to convert between a time trail racer to an XC whippet, a 6” AM weapon, stout downhill rig and even a fat tyre tandem – but without compromise.

Anyway, please let me know if we can assist Joe_MTB. Happy to configure a BuyBack swap for you and you can specify whatever you like.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Does anyone in australia distribute the US made 1UP bike racks...if not can someone make me a copy lol...

PS: check out this dudes utube channel (BKXC) for some awesome ride vids of trails around the world including his aussie visit...

https://youtu.be/YHV7LffwMZU

RichJS

Likes Dirt
bike racks that mount OK to Rhino Rack HD roof bars?

I have Rhino Rack HD crossbars on my roof. They're quite tall - 47mm I think.

I've had Rhino Rack Barracuda bike racks on there for a few years (installed with the HD fit kit), but tyres wider than maybe 57mm just won't fit into the front scoop and that's starting to become an issue.

Anyone got these racks and put Thule, Yakima, etc racks on the HD bars OK? Knowing there's options other than Rhino Rack / Mont Blanc would be nice.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
Joe_MTB why not take advantage of the BuyBack program? It’s detailed at the bottom of this web page here: http://www.isi-carriers.com/features.html

My thoughts have always been to configure equipment that is perfect for the current demands but with a degree of flexibility for the future – a mindset that has served us well over just over four decades of adventure travel. A product that has versatility in design allows the operator to add and swap stuff as the demands evolve over time and regardless of the car. Drive anywhere with the bikes below the roof, above the tow bar, within the sides and of course be able to get into the back.

If I draw a parallel from the cycling world, instead of a shed full of bicycles…..it’s like having a bicycle that you can add and swap stuff to convert between a time trail racer to an XC whippet, a 6” AM weapon, stout downhill rig and even a fat tyre tandem – but without compromise.

Anyway, please let me know if we can assist Joe_MTB. Happy to configure a BuyBack swap for you and you can specify whatever you like.
I hadn’t realised you did that - I’ll be in touch once I’ve sorted what I need

notime

Likes Dirt
Has anyone ever carried a bike vertically on the back of a van or similar?

I have a transit van that has a beat up right rear door so no big deal to bolt on a few bits of roof rack channel and some eye bolts for extra theft security.

I'm thinking a rack system like what's on the back of the Thredbo chairlifts where the bike just hangs. I like the idea of being able to access the rear of the van without tow hitch mounted racks and number plate relocation's etc.

I have a Thule 594 Sidearm on my sons Subaru I was going to try first up, might be a little tricky holding the bike in place while I pull the arm up but I can't see why it wouldn't do the job?

Through axle fork mount would work but I think it would be difficult to reach up especially with 2 bikes offset on the same right side door.

Any other examples or ideas? google images doesn't bring much, didn't think it was such a bad idea myself but maybe it is.

reefer

Cannon Fodder
Hi All,
Just purchased a Santa Cruz HighTower 29 and need to carry it on the back of my triton TRAY ute. I was thinking of mounting (bolting) a roof rack style holder to the tray. Maybe a thule or rhino so i dont have to remove anything. Has anyone done this?
Cheers