BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

takai

Eats Squid
After this last trip we need a new bike rack, having the kids bikes in the boot just isn’t working anymore.

I’ve been using an older non adjustable hoop style 2 bike rack for the adult bikes and then popping the kids bikes in the boot. Now need a 4 bike rack.

Have a 50mm square hitch, so no issues there. But the one sticking point we seem to keep having is the kids bikes often aren’t tall or long enough to secure properly in the ISI type hoops.

Wife would love a fold down rack too so she can get access to the boot without unmounting it all.

No 4WD stuff at this stage (just a Kluger) but long term compatibility is welcome.

Thinking ISI after looking at the Yakimas at Pushys, but still haven’t seen an ISI in the flesh, and not being able to quickly convert it to a 2 bike carrier is a bit annoying.

Could also weld up a vertical rack, but not sure how the pivot would go, and not sure if I want the bikes higher than the roofline.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Interested in this rack, would you give us a write up when you get it?
Certainly ! I have spoke with the main 3 makers of these racks, SingleTrail, SpotX and Shingleback, trying to work out which one to go for, the bloke that owns Curries even took a rack to his local Toyota dealer to make sure my tailgate would miss the rack pivot, its an absolute work of art. He needed to make the hole in the tongue sit back an additional 25mm to guarantee it would miss, so my small delay is for the custom sized hitch getting made and electroplated.

The fact that the whole rack is electroplated is another good point, powdercoat chips and rust comes through, making them look shabby.

A couple of new mods, SingleTrail has added a second locking mechanism that need pressed in before the sliding lock will move up so its now double locked. The wheel hoops are now different to allow the wheel bungy to be attached easier (also a simpler design).... and the hitch stabilizer is something else.... you turn a bolt on the front of the rack and an internal wedge pushes out into the tongue, locking the rack, eliminating any shake. No dodgy U-bolts on this one.

http://instagr.am/p/BusMkw4lEmU/
Rack locking device. http://instagr.am/p/BuPciAUFrvu/

Have a look on his Instagram page for the latest updates on his racks. There's a few videos on there of how some of the smarts on his racks work.

https://www.instagram.com/singletrailracks/

Currie is also the only one of the 3 who offer free shipping, which wont be a deal breaker when selecting what rack suits you the best, but it saves $120-$150 being added to the price.

Last edited:
Reactions: PJO

takai

Eats Squid
See post on previous page https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/in...s-asked-and-answered-here.291955/post-3251900

I have an older ISI 2 bike rack and made up an extension to fit the 3rd & 4th bike, not sure how the new ones will accommodate that extension being slid into them.

Ordered a Curries Engineering Single trail 5UP rack, should be ready to ship this week.
That ISI setup does look good. Any closeups of it?

Wonder if i could reuse this cheapy CyclingDeal one for the extra two bikes, as with it being a lighter build it actually accommodates smaller bikes.

PJO

in me vL comy
Certainly ! I have spoke with the main 3 makers of these racks, SingleTrail, SpotX and Shingleback, trying to work out which one to go for, the bloke that owns Curries even took a rack to his local Toyota dealer to make sure my tailgate would miss the rack pivot, its an absolute work of art. He needed to make the hole in the tongue sit back an additional 25mm to guarantee it would miss, so my small delay is for the custom sized hitch getting made and electroplated.

The fact that the whole rack is electroplated is another good point, powdercoat chips and rust comes through, making them look shabby.

View attachment 354565

A couple of new mods, SingleTrail has added a second locking mechanism that need pressed in before the sliding lock will move up so its now double locked. The wheel hoops are now different to allow the wheel bungy to be attached easier (also a simpler design).... and the hitch stabilizer is something else.... you turn a bolt on the front of the rack and an internal wedge pushes out into the tongue, locking the rack, eliminating any shake. No dodgy U-bolts on this one.

http://instagr.am/p/BusMkw4lEmU/
Rack locking device. http://instagr.am/p/BuPciAUFrvu/

Have a look on his Instagram page for the latest updates on his racks. There's a few videos on there of how some of the smarts on his racks work.

https://www.instagram.com/singletrailracks/

Currie is also the only one of the 3 who offer free shipping, which wont be a deal breaker when selecting what rack suits you the best, but it saves $120-$150 being added to the price.
Thanks for the write up @ozzybmx !!

I have been chatting and looking into the same three: Currie(SingleTrail), SpotX and Shingleback.
I like the engineering on the SingleTrail but my issue is the width and weight of the 5 bikerack, it seems to be wider than the other two and heavier. This is based on Mitch's email quoting a loaded width of 2m and unloaded weight of 32kg.
Shingleback 5bike (from website) is loaded width of 1.7m and unloaded weight of 27kg
SpotX Pigdog (from email) is loaded width of 1.8m and unloaded weight of 29-30kg.

Can you confirm the width and weight?

I have a mate who has the Shingleback 5 bike rack and we borrowed it to see if it fits. My missus has trouble getting it on the car due to the weight and unwieldiness, was thinking of cutting the mast and putting a join in so that it can be done in two pieces.

Pretty sure Shingleback is free shipping (or add $30 for insurance), SpotX charges $140 to Hobart.

ozzybmx

Did you get your new rack @ozzybmx ?
Later this week, it was at the electroplaters early last week and was assembled Friday. The delay has been because of the custom tongue length being 25mm longer than usual, as it not just a case of drilling a new hole because of the internal stabilizer mechanism.

He took his test rack to his local Toyota dealer and tried it on the same vehicle as mine, to make sure when the rear tailgate could open without touching the pivot assembly. This was an absolute must for me... all my bike spares and tools are in the drawer system in the back of my car and they cant open unless the tailgate is fully down. I didn't want to be pulling off the rack everytime I needed some lube or an Allen key.

Andy_Ryder

Likes Bikes
Thule Proride 591, twin pack. Been awesome, had a few long distance trips with two bikes on it sitting at 110km/h without issue. Just make sure to remember they are on the roof when driving under things ;) I nearly took my carport down one time and remembered at the last second and locked the brakes up... bike missed the roof by about 10 cm's lol

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Moving to rear mount finally. A few questions for the brains trust:
  1. Is it true you can't leave bike carriers on your car when not transporting a bike? Kind of defeats the purpose for shorter trips - which for me is all I get nowadays with a newborn.
  2. What are the rules with number plates etc. Do I need a light board or have to mount the plates in a specific way? (zipties?). I have no idea about rules but can't see how a lot of the cheaper racks would be compliant without rear lights etc.
  3. Can I trust a towball mount? (No but they seem best value and easiest to install compared to hitch.

Last edited:

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Moving to rear mount finally. A few questions for the brains trust:
  1. Is it true you can't leave bike carriers on your car when not transporting a bike? Kind of defeats the purpose for shorter trips - which for me is all I get nowadays with a newborn.
  2. What are the rules with number plates etc. Do I need a light board or have to mount the plates in a specific way? (zipties?). I have no idea about rules but can't see how a lot of the cheaper racks would be compliant without rear lights etc.
  3. Can I trust a towball mount? (No but they seem best value and easiest to install compared to hitch.
In Vic, doesn't matter how the plate is mounted, as long as it's on and horizontal.

With lights, they're not meant to be obscured by the bike or rack. If they are, you'll need a light board or similar attached to the rack.

It used to be illegal to leave a rack on without a bike on it, but not anymore, so you're all good there...

And this is all assuming the cops actually care enough to pull you over, or you give them enough shit to actually fine you. :D To be honest, you'd be unlucky, but it does happen...

ozzybmx

I would easily have 100,000km+ with an ISI rack on both car and caravan, also on the misso's car with never an issue, though always have a small bike plate displayed.

Even with 4 bikes on the ISI, I still dont have a light board and never had any hassles.

I have a mate though who got a fine for a hitch mounted cheap rack with the bar that goes straight up, it was right in the middle and blocked the full view of his car number plate. This was without the bike on it, driving to work.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
With lights, they're not meant to be obscured by the bike or rack. If they are, you'll need a light board or similar attached to the rack.
That's basically all rear mounted racks. But a lot of the hitch mount racks don't have light boards (or number plate mounts) while the tow ball ones all seem to.