BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I really don’t want to trawl through whole thread. Search didn’t bring up anything.
Wife wants an upright rack now. Anyone using the Yakima hangover? Not sure if I like that it attaches to the fork, rather than a wheel in a hoop.
Anyone got feedback based on experience?
View attachment 355948View attachment 355949
I've made a single bike vertical rack with a built in tool free anti wobble device.

The idea was to have something light, fast and easy to put on the car to save faffing round pulling wheels or attaching my multi bike rack when it's just me heading out for a quick spin.

I have made a couple more If anyone's interested in trying one. I'm in the Sutherland Shire, South side of Sydney. Welcome to come and borrow one for a week or so, let me know your thoughts or check them out on Instagram or Facebook QuickStickBikeRack.
View attachment 355838View attachment 355837View attachment 355839

evad

Likes Bikes
I really don’t want to trawl through whole thread. Search didn’t bring up anything.
Wife wants an upright rack now. Anyone using the Yakima hangover? Not sure if I like that it attaches to the fork, rather than a wheel in a hoop.
I saw this one on FB too if you’re looking for a budget option. I have no idea about the quality but it’s cheap.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
I havnt used this particular rack, but the north shore ones when overseas. I think they are way better then the wheel style rack, especially if you drive on rough roads, the wheel style (shingleback etc) the bikes can hit each other and for some bikes (smaller wheels) the wheel hoop can damage the fork legs.

This rack with a swing away would be great setup.

adding to this, minimum wheel size of 24" is a show stopper in my books. North shore racks are the go.

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I've been hunting for a 5 bike vertical rack for a little while now, missed a few used ones and I'm back to searching for the right thing new.

I've ruled out the Yakima one, Moorey pointed out that it mounts to the fork crown and I'm not ok with this either. Would much prefer it to grab the wheel.

Shingleback looks wicked, probably the frontrunner but at $1300 it's too big an investment to not chase up other options. Looks solid, reviews well, has a few add ons I can get if I need them.

Wild boar is the budget option so far at $1000. Doesn't look as solid as the shingleback to me though. Works a little different too in that the wheel mounts can be offset to make it easier to load/unload. Also looks semi modular, can get fatbike attachments and possibly add extra mounts if needed

And then there's the single trail rack, looks awesome and seems to have a bit more engineering involved around the pivot. But does more or less the same thing as the shingleback for a few dollars more, coming in at $1424.

Is there others out there I haven't seen yet? Has anyone got any of these and want to tell me what's excellent or bogus about them? Am I nuts for considering this when I have a trailer with a 5 bike rack on top of it?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Every race I go to, I see 10 brands I’ve never heard of.
I’ll take note this weekend.
We have a local company...did you see his display at MiniMuddies, @Plankosaurus?
I think they were around $1200.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Every race I go to, I see 10 brands I’ve never heard of.
I’ll take note this weekend.
We have a local company...did you see his display at MiniMuddies, @Plankosaurus?
I think they were around $1200.
Yeah, I remember that one, took a photo because I was in the 'convince wifey we need one' phase. Now I've convinced her, so I'm in the 'holy crap these are exxy, better get the right one!' phase.

I'll add spotx to the list. I like that they come wired up with lights and a number plate mount, less enthusiastic about the $1400 price tag though

moorey

call me Mia
SpotX are meant to be good.
https://www.spotxracks.com.au
Yeah, I remember that one, took a photo because I was in the 'convince wifey we need one' phase. Now I've convinced her, so I'm in the 'holy crap these are exxy, better get the right one!' phase.

I'll add spotx to the list. I like that they come wired up with lights and a number plate mount, less enthusiastic about the $1400 price tag though

Most are up around that without the extras.
There was a company on FB few months ago.
Pay $900 now, and in a few months we will deliver your rack.....yeah nah.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I need a fold down rack for four bikes, but being old school I'm not sold on a vertical rack. I'm assuming they keep more of the load closer to the vehicle?

moorey

call me Mia
I need a fold down rack for four bikes, but being old school I'm not sold on a vertical rack. I'm assuming they keep more of the load closer to the vehicle?
I love our Tilty 2+2, but I’ll be selling it soon for a vertical rack. I’ve barely used it, it’s a shame you are closer.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I already put some stuff up earlier in this thread. This is the Single Trail 5UP, Mitch who owns the fab company has just sent me the Single Trail Racks decals for it. I probably spent 30 mins of every ride telling people what it was and where it came from.

I went with this one due to the solid pivot and clever anti-wobble device. You can do chin up on this rack, its solid as ! Not the lightest but there is no movement when shuttling on dirt roads.

He will also work out custom mods for if needed, I had to have access to the back with the rack fitted, so he adjust the tongue by 25mm so my tailgate could be dropped without hitting the pivot and with the rack in tilt position 3, I can open both top and bottom fully. He took a rack down to his Toyota dealer and got the measurements for me. Great service and awesome rack.

Also worth factoring in to the price, free shipping from Single Trail.