BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
The swing arm is going to be nearly the price of the rack... not sure on the exact price but it will be close.
I swear he said it was going to be a couple of hundred more for that option. its not an add on like the shingleback one, he removes the drop down and replaces it with the swing out so he can cut back the costs a little there. the fixed unit that he's making an option of is a couple of hundred less than the drop down too so that made sense to me.

@slider_phil - if you drop him a line im sure you'd be able to get a straight answer. he moved super quick on the new fastening system so i can only imagine the swing out is just about ready by now too.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I swear he said it was going to be a couple of hundred more for that option. its not an add on like the shingleback one, he removes the drop down and replaces it with the swing out so he can cut back the costs a little there. the fixed unit that he's making an option of is a couple of hundred less than the drop down too so that made sense to me.
Sweet ! I was going on the prices of the other rack manufacturers for the swing arm... I know Mitch has some options, he should be well priced too.

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
Are these vertical racks with bikes on within the legal load projection limits without the need for a flag? ~1.2m in qld for example.

ozzybmx

Are these vertical racks with bikes on within the legal load projection limits without the need for a flag? ~1.2m in qld for example.
1.2m ? My vehicle is 2.25m without anything. My missus is 2.12 and her antenna is 2.4, the rack fitted to both with 29er wheels are around 2.5-2.6m. Car parks in the city are 2.1ish.
1.2m is Lambo height.

clockworked

Like an orange
1.2m ? My vehicle is 2.25m without anything. My missus is 2.12 and her antenna is 2.4, the rack fitted to both with 29er wheels are around 2.5-2.6m. Car parks in the city are 2.1ish.
1.2m is Lambo height.
1.2m horizontally from the back of the car. Not vertically

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Very likely both types overhang behind the car will not be legal but if it is well done and lights and numberplate compliant then should be ok. I struggle to get my kayaks on the roofrack or on my box trailer within overhang limits. Had no comments so far and have been through several roadside checks. I have made a new rear roofrack kayaksupport which lets me get right up to the 160% wheelbase limit but it screws with my sensibilities seeing the front of the kayaks above the windscreen.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member

Dimensions for rigid vehicles
Total width and height: see limits under ‘All light vehicles’
Total length ‘L’: no more than 12.5m
Rear overhang 'R': no more than 3.7m or no more than 60% of 'W', whichever is less
Distance load can project from front ‘PH’: no more than 1.2m in front of headlights
Distance load can project from rear ‘PR’: no more than 1.2m without a flag

These are the rules for Queensland. Are other states the same?

ozzybmx

SA rules, flag required if rear projection is over 1.2m or is not conspicuous ? So a vertical bike rack wouldn't be considered conspicuous.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Odd hifi because those dimensions come out of NCOP. Lucky ewes.

Ozzy the 60% limit is maximum as per Q. So it depends how big your arse is.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yeah I have nothing... 2850mm wheelbase and 1170mm from the rear axle centre to the outside of the bumper, 60% of the wheelbase is 1710mm which means legally, I can only overhang 540mm :oops:
Yep, same issue with the Prado with bike rack or kayaks upstairs. Hopefully common sense will prevail if lights and plates are clear. I have an led taillight wired to run off the constant power supply for the kayaks on the roof or in the trailer.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt

Dimensions for rigid vehicles
Total width and height: see limits under ‘All light vehicles’
Total length ‘L’: no more than 12.5m
Rear overhang 'R': no more than 3.7m or no more than 60% of 'W', whichever is less
Distance load can project from front ‘PH’: no more than 1.2m in front of headlights
Distance load can project from rear ‘PR’: no more than 1.2m without a flag

These are the rules for Queensland. Are other states the same?
Great info. I was looking at the rear vertical racks but this now changes things up a bit for me. A trailer fixes all these problems but adds effort.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Question Time!

I have a Mazda CX5 and need to fit 4 bikes now that the boys are getting older. I am thinking I will get a towbar and 4 bike carrier but there seems to be a few different towbar mount types and so I am not sure which one to get. It would also be good to tow a trailer or small caravan with it too.

Anyone know what should I get?

ozzybmx

Mate, seen you post just after you posted it and thought you would have had some feedback by now.

Its hard to recommend a bike rack for anyone... considering I have just replaced my ISI with a SingleTrail rack.

But, going on you current vehicle I would probably buy a 4 x bike ISI. They are an awesome rack, bullet proof and good resale if you need something different in the future.
If you had a Ute or a 4WD, I would definitely go a SingleTrail rack... but way too big for a CX5.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
few different towbar mount types and so I am not sure which one to get. It would also be good to tow a trailer or small caravan with it too.
I can’t help you decide on a rack but would certainly recommend a 50mm hitch mount style over a ball mount for simplicity.

Have a think about access to your boot with bikes loaded ie swing open door, single raise up or tailgate style two part door?

moorey

call me Mia
Question Time!

I have a Mazda CX5 and need to fit 4 bikes now that the boys are getting older. I am thinking I will get a towbar and 4 bike carrier but there seems to be a few different towbar mount types and so I am not sure which one to get. It would also be good to tow a trailer or small caravan with it too.

Anyone know what should I get?
What @creaky said. Definitely get the 2” hitch. If nothing else, it gives you the option to swap between hitch and ball.
Ball mounted carriers for 4 bikes are generally pretty shite, and most good racks that I’ve seen don’t do a ball mount option.
I don’t think it’s a time to skimp. Spend a couple of hundred more if it means it loads easy, doesn’t damage bikes, doesn’t get in the way of doors, and is solid. Weight is a factor if wife and kids are having to fit it at all.