BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Yeah, the can be HEAVY ! My 2 bike grip rack is a beast. Wife couldn’t do that. I imagine that the ISI and other beefy steel options would be heavy also.

You’ve got a roof rack mount from memory @mas2 - if the family bikes are just beaters then maybe just leave yours on the roof and get a simple light rack for the beaters like the Jetback Jetrack?

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks @ozzybmx i will look into those ISI carriers. it would be good to have one that tilted out of the way if possible.

Thanks @creaky and @moorey thats what I was looking for regarding the mount type. For a 2” hitch I will need to cut the bumper but for a standard ball mount the Mazda one curves under the bumper so it looks like it will need to be cutout.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, the can be HEAVY ! My 2 bike grip rack is a beast. Wife couldn’t do that. I imagine that the ISI and other beefy steel options would be heavy also.

You’ve got a roof rack mount from memory @mas2 - if the family bikes are just beaters then maybe just leave yours on the roof and get a simple light rack for the beaters like the Jetback Jetrack?
Wow you have a good memory. Yep got 2 Thule prorides but they are on the swift but it has no towbar and I would rather get a towbar on the cx5.

moorey

call me Mia
Tow ball bike racks are the work of the devil. Had one for a little while on a previous car.
Wifey went and bought without consulting me.
Scared me driving around with 4 bikes on.

Goudgey

Likes Dirt
A couple of questions:

1) Has anyone been able to successfully transport a large enduro style bike with front wheel on on a bike carrier mounted on top of a ute tub hard lid and still been able to open the lid when the bike wasn't on the rack (ie, the carrier didn't foul the rear window)?

2) Can anyone recommend a quality front wheel off roof rack mounted bike carrier suitable for boost hub spacing without the need for a quick release adapter?

Cheers!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Tow ball bike racks are the work of the devil. Had one for a little while on a previous car.
Wifey went and bought without consulting me.
Scared me driving around with 4 bikes on.
I have a one bike limit on my tow ball rack. I've carried two drop bar gravel bikes once and it wasn't pretty. Now it has a hard 1 bike limit, if I'm going out with others and there is a slim chance I'll have to ferry a bike I'll take the extra 5 minutes and use the hitch rack.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Anyone have much experience with the racks that strap to a spare tyre? My spare swings out and boot swings up so attached to the wheel is the only thing o can think that will work without spending more than my bike is worth. Would be carrying one bike usually, sometimes two.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m interested in buying a vertical mount rack mostly to do shuttles. However, on the odd occasion I’d like to be able to put road bikes on it. Does anyone know if any odd these racks are suitable?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I’m interested in buying a vertical mount rack mostly to do shuttles. However, on the odd occasion I’d like to be able to put road bikes on it. Does anyone know if any odd these racks are suitable?
Yes, I have carried 2 x CX bikes on mine, they sit a little bit 'tilted to the right' due to the skinny tyres, so just fit them to the right of the rack (driver side) so they dont rub other bikes. Mine is a SingleTrail 5up but so see no reason the other shuttle racks would be any different.

When I was in Tassie in the New Year, my Singletrail rack was the only one I seen, probably a dozen Shinglebacks and over 50 Spot-X racks... everyone had them.

moorey

call me Mia
Mitch at Single trail racks (currie engineering) has a new model coming out in a few months. Looked at the 5 bike prototype today and ordered one on the spot.

Foot pedal for tilting.
New quick release rope replaces the 2 elastic loops.
Modified hoops that won’t touch spokes.

Didn’t think to take a pic. Begged him to get one finished for Buller this weekend and Nationals the week after, but not quite ready in time. The champ lent me a spare 4 bike model to tide me over. Such a champ. Can’t recommend him high enough.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Mitch at Single trail racks (currie engineering) has a new model coming out in a few months. Looked at the 5 bike prototype today and ordered one on the spot.

Foot pedal for tilting.
New quick release rope replaces the 2 elastic loops.
Modified hoops that won’t touch spokes.

Didn’t think to take a pic. Begged him to get one finished for Buller this weekend and Nationals the week after, but not quite ready in time. The champ lent me a spare 4 bike model to tide me over. Such a champ. Can’t recommend him high enough. View attachment 360751View attachment 360752
I've got one coming! Ordered mine in December and after talking to him on the phone about his plans for the new rack I was happy to wait for the new and improved version. Seems like a top guy always looking to improve his product.

moorey

call me Mia
I've got one coming! Ordered mine in December and after talking to him on the phone about his plans for the new rack I was happy to wait for the new and improved version. Seems like a top guy always looking to improve his product.
Absolutely. And all the time in the world to talk to you about what you need. His stuff is already fantastic, I reckon the new ones will be as good, or better than anything on the market.