BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They must have different rules in USAlia

This came up on my bookface feed this morning. This fella is in Utah.

View attachment 361238
Outback’s are 1.8m wide. The SC looks almost a whole wheel wider, so about 70cm, making it close to 2.5m long.
My XL Banshee Prime is just under 2m and is a touch wider than my Pajero Sport on a similar rack. The Paj is very close in width to an Outback.
Either the photo angle is off or SC’s are bloody loooong.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Any suggestions for a 2 (or 3) bike carrier?

Most of the time i'll only be transporting 1 bike, so something that's reasonably light and easy to put on the car would be ideal. My preference would be for something simple that either clamps onto the wheels or the hook style that rests on the top-tube. My current rack has the little clamps that hook onto the top tube which can be a bit of a pain when transporting bikes with different top-tube shapes etc.

I've seen the Venzo 2 bike carrier - Here - which looks resonably simple and the price is great.

I've also seen the RockyMounts WestSlope 2 - Here - Which looks like a much more sophisticated rack and the extra height would be a nice bonus, but it's also more than double the price

Haakon

Keeps on digging

Most of the time i'll only be transporting 1 bike, so something that's reasonably light and easy to put on the car would be ideal. My preference would be for something simple that either clamps onto the wheels or the hook style that rests on the top-tube. My current rack has the little clamps that hook onto the top tube which can be a bit of a pain when transporting bikes with different top-tube shapes etc.

I've seen the Venzo 2 bike carrier - Here - which looks resonably simple and the price is great.

I've also seen the RockyMounts WestSlope 2 - Here - Which looks like a much more sophisticated rack and the extra height would be a nice bonus, but it's also more than double the price
Ive been running this for years and it’s great. Out of stock at present though...

https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/...-mount-carrier-car/CB-640A?pgnum=2#tab-review

FigBo0T

Puts verniers on his headtube

What's lighter than helium?

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I picked up a Saris Freedom second hand for $150 and it's awesome. Check your local gumtree offerings.

rnovella

Likes Bikes
Howdy all,

Anyone with a currie engineering singletrail 5 rack able to tell me are you able to 'easily' tilt the rack down to the ground to get into the rear of your vehicle ? I appreciate that it will be quite heavy.

I'm looking at upgrading to a vertical rack (again from a grip 2+2 tilty),...also trying to keep myself focussed on a time in the future when I can get in a car with 4 other dudes and go riding again :(

moorey

call me Mia
Howdy all,

Anyone with a currie engineering singletrail 5 rack able to tell me are you able to 'easily' tilt the rack down to the ground to get into the rear of your vehicle ? I appreciate that it will be quite heavy.

I'm looking at upgrading to a vertical rack (again from a grip 2+2 tilty),...also trying to keep myself focussed on a time in the future when I can get in a car with 4 other dudes and go riding again :(
Getting mine soon. Lighter than the 2+2, btw.
Can’t confirm yet if you can tilt the Currie down far enough to access car with bikes fitted. Definitely can when empty. Give Mitch a call maybe if no one on here can confirm.

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Howdy all,

Definitely easy to fold down when empty. Even possible when loaded with bikes with 2x people.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking at the Gripsport tilty rack, what are the pro's and cons of the wheel hoops vs the 'tacos' ? mostly for 29er, 2.4" - 2.6" tyres