BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

SDA

Likes Dirt
What do people use to attach a number plate to their bike rack?

I have a Saris Superclamp EX 2 and have zip tied the number plate to it, but if feels a bit flimsy.

I've thought about maybe direct screwing it to the main cross bar, or maybe some u-bolts of some sort to clamp it to it.

Any suggestions? Thanks

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
I just used the slots. The actually plate weights SFA so there's no load bearing issue with top bit of the slot.

Reactions: SDA

takai

Eats Squid
In the market for a new bike carrier. 50mm square hitch so that both the ute and the Kluger can use it. Requirements:
  • 4 bikes, preferably in a 2+2 configuration but 4 permanent is ok
  • Fold down to access tailgate
  • Minimal footprint when not in use (i.e. fold up)
  • Adjustable size from 16" kids bikes through to the 29er
What is there in this sort of range? The ISI/Grip hoop racks often don't fit kids bikes, nor do the vertical racks well. The platform style fit the kids bikes but have a terrible footprint.

moorey

call me Mia
I reckon Mitch. at Single Trail would happily customise a rack to take a kids bike if an upright suited your needs in every other way.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Roadie mate of mine is slowly being converted to the dark side, and wanted advice on a new rack for his new Mits Challenger suv thing. Gave him the spiel on what's around type wise and then jokingly sent him the ISI link and said here's the money no object option haha.

So he goes and buys one immediately. Its a nice rack....

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I have a towbar rack, but no towbar. Should I get a towbar or go for a roof rack setup on a Fiesta? Its 1.7 metres wide.

moorey

call me Mia
I don’t imagine a Fiesta could take a tow kit and rack with the required carrying capacity. Could be wrong.

takai

Eats Squid
How do the upright racks cope with skinny tyres? Would also be used for carting the CX and commuter bikes from time to time.

Petero

Likes Dirt
In the market for a new bike carrier. 50mm square hitch so that both the ute and the Kluger can use it. Requirements:
  • 4 bikes, preferably in a 2+2 configuration but 4 permanent is ok
  • Fold down to access tailgate
  • Minimal footprint when not in use (i.e. fold up)
  • Adjustable size from 16" kids bikes through to the 29er
What is there in this sort of range? The ISI/Grip hoop racks often don't fit kids bikes, nor do the vertical racks well. The platform style fit the kids bikes but have a terrible footprint.
I have the Thule T2 Pro XT Hitch Carrier which works great in terms of mounting bikes, lifting, lowering and storing (I haven't used the +2 add on though).... but is pricey - the 2+2 option will set you back around $1.5k.. The classic version is slightly cheaper though.

takai

Eats Squid
I have the Thule T2 Pro XT Hitch Carrier which works great in terms of mounting bikes, lifting, lowering and storing (I haven't used the +2 add on though).... but is pricey - the 2+2 option will set you back around $1.5k.. The classic version is slightly cheaper though.
Yeah, all of these options are $1200-1800ish. Big range but buy once.
Single Trail x6 : $1879
Thule T2: $849+499
ISI: $1250
Gripsport: $1200

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I have a towbar rack, but no towbar. Should I get a towbar or go for a roof rack setup on a Fiesta? Its 1.7 metres wide.
I had a towbar and two bike rack on the Clio ;) Towbars for this size of car are not that much different and take the weight of a rack and two mountain bikes just fine.

Contrary to popular opinion, you don't need a giant fucking 4WD to carry bikes around...

euro style if you have the clamp on type rack.

Oz style for more conventional attachments.

Piece of piss to fit.

Last edited:

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Contrary to popular opinion, you don't need a giant fucking 4WD to carry bikes around...
It's amazing how life changes when you've got a bit of spare change. It wasn't long ago when we bouht along our own roof carriers and fit 4 bicycles on a little holden barina with 4 fully grown blokes heading for buller. Did the same with snow gear on a 2 door honda civic (guy had a car pass and we were tight asses ok).

Nowadays won't bat an eyelid for $700 for a decent carrier because it does something a bit better of saves a few minutes setting it up in the morning. When I was searching I soon figured out that it was easier to just spend an extra 15 minutes walking around lysterfield carpark to see what everyone else had and get real life experience how they load and unload their bikes and the pros and cons of each.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
This rack is as easy a setup as it gets... Drop onto the ball, pull down the handle and lock. Plug in the lights... Bike lifted on and ratchet hook pushed down - done.

Bikes stuck out a little on each side on the Clio here, but not beyond mirror width. Better on the Alfa.

Last edited:

Haakon

Keeps on digging
It's amazing how life changes when you've got a bit of spare change. It wasn't long ago when we bouht along our own roof carriers and fit 4 bicycles on a little holden barina with 4 fully grown blokes heading for buller. Did the same with snow gear on a 2 door honda civic (guy had a car pass and we were tight asses ok).

Nowadays won't bat an eyelid for $700 for a decent carrier because it does something a bit better of saves a few minutes setting it up in the morning. When I was searching I soon figured out that it was easier to just spend an extra 15 minutes walking around lysterfield carpark to see what everyone else had and get real life experience how they load and unload their bikes and the pros and cons of each.
Decent carrier, sure. $WD, no not really but whatever floats your boat. The Clio/Fiesta (or even the Alfa) is a better two person and their bikes and gear car. More people just requires a bigger car, not a 4WD.

moorey

call me Mia
Decent carrier, sure. $WD, no not really but whatever floats your boat. The Clio/Fiesta (or even the Alfa) is a better two person and their bikes and gear car. More people just requires a bigger car, not a 4WD.
Sorry, who asserted you need a big four-wheel-drive? Is it to carry the chip on your shoulder? In that case, you may.