BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Binaural

Eats Squid
Has anyone installed their own towbar? I am trying to keep costs down at the moment, and I am looking at various kit options. Car is a 2016 Madza 6 sedan, for what it's worth. As far as I can see, the official towbar costs twice what a kit item does.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Has anyone installed their own towbar? I am trying to keep costs down at the moment, and I am looking at various kit options. Car is a 2016 Madza 6 sedan, for what it's worth. As far as I can see, the official towbar costs twice what a kit item does.
Yep, I've done plenty. Mazda 6 is common, I'm sure you'll find youtube how to videos. Bumper off, remove crash bar, replace towbar onto the same mounts is the short version.

Its pretty simple if youre basically handy with the tools. Bumper off is pretty straightforward and most cars will have the holes or captive nuts for the bar to bolt onto, some will need holes drilled.

Wiring is the fiddly bit. Most modern cars need a relay box, but for a common mainstream car like yours you'll probably find a plug and play wiring kit for them which makes life simple.

I drive european cars so I've found it way cheaper to buy them from germany and get sent than to buy locally from places that think a Renault or an Alfa is a "prestige" car and try to charge $800 for what I can have delivered from europe for $350... Mazda 6 is popular in the US, maybe worth checking there is local prices are silly.

moorey

call me Mia
No...but insurance and engineering compliance issues come to mind. It might be a totally legit thing, but I'd personally be looking into it first.

Binaural

Eats Squid
No...but insurance and engineering compliance issues come to mind. It might be a totally legit thing, but I'd personally be looking into it first.
It is not a vehicle modification in the structural sense that would require a certificate - it's a bolt on substructure connected to a standard fitting for a given load rating. I just checked and luckily this exact scenario is covered - no certificate required for light vehicles as long as it's installed per instructions.

Insurance-wise, from a bit of googling it seems that it's fine but that I should advise that I've fitted it so it's covered in the event of an accident.

@Haakon - thanks for the tips!