BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

notb4dinner

Likes Dirt
Have all those new features made it into the standard production models now Moorey? Have been waiting for the fold flat and rope attachments before ordering mine.

moorey

call me Mia
Have all those new features made it into the standard production models now Moorey? Have been waiting for the fold flat and rope attachments before ordering mine.
All standard on new models aside from tilting option AFAIK. Rope straps are the shiz. Under 10 seconds to load a bike and it ain’t ever falling out. It’s still a small operation, and there was a bit of a wait on the new racks waiting on patents etc, but well worth giving Mitch a call if you have any questions or want anything customized.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

Was just reading this thread, has anything changed regarding the rules on carriers and legalities of certain designs?
Pretty sure I’ll be grabbing a rack from Currie as soon as I can get a look at it courtesy of the local rep, but just want a bit more info.

I’ll be mounting it to either a Passat wagon or transporter van.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moorey

call me Mia
Mitch is working on lights at the moment. He includes a number plate holder that attaches to wheels (I’ve never used mine...shhh)

I know every state is different, but I’ve never been questioned by the local constabulary, and do many of freeway miles every year with the bikes on the back. Can’t comment on how you will go where you are with that vehicle.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green

Was just reading this thread, has anything changed regarding the rules on carriers and legalities of certain designs?
Pretty sure I’ll be grabbing a rack from Currie as soon as I can get a look at it courtesy of the local rep, but just want a bit more info.

I’ll be mounting it to either a Passat wagon or transporter van.

In Victoria, it's 60% of the wheelbase. You'd be hard pressed for any police to get their tape measure out roadside though... Any of the vertical racks are going to be all good.

Binaural

Eats Squid
I am all legal now (except for a printed aux number plate, natch). Shame you can't sticky a post within a thread with a compilation of compliance requirements. Thanks for your help y'all, I eventually got towbars4u in Sydney to do mine for a reasonable price and good quality. Went for a Yakima rack, and while it doubles as a benchpress it is really fast to get bikes on and off.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I am all legal now (except for a printed aux number plate, natch). Shame you can't sticky a post within a thread with a compilation of compliance requirements. Thanks for your help y'all, I eventually got towbars4u in Sydney to do mine for a reasonable price and good quality. Went for a Yakima rack, and while it doubles as a benchpress it is really fast to get bikes on and off.
Was this to install a square hitch?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
At risk of starting a bunch of shit about 4WDs again, I'm going the roofrack route now (have ordered the bars).

Looking at Yakima High Road - any experiences or better options around?

LPG

likes thicc birds
At risk of starting a bunch of shit about 4WDs again, I'm going the roofrack route now (have ordered the bars).

Is this to go on a Toyota Prius or your Dodge Ram?

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I ended up with the Thule UpRide because it was cheaper (price included lock barrels) and I could get it keyed alike with my other Thule rack for convenience.

If not for those I would definitely have bought the Yakima just off how many positive reviews it has. Looks like the mechanism is a bit easier to use and the design is more aerodynamic for less wind noise when it's not in use.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Tried to read through this thread but snoozed at the 4x4 debate...

I've got a limited budget (max ~$500) and need something that can take up to 4 bikes, from 20" up. Anyone got any suggestions at the affordable end?

Not too fussed on style but it needs to play nice with a Pajero and it's rear mounted spare.

I'm shitting myself every time I put a riding mates Pole Stamina on my current rack (below) and watch it jiggling away in the rear mirror.

Last edited: