BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

moorey

call me Mia
Triggered, lol. Fucking buzz words for internet insults, reminds me of those blokes who rip off their shirts in street fights and yell "come at me bro"
Simple, I asked for advice on budget bike racks. Crudley kindly provided not only some helpful advice on my current rack but some pics to help me fix it. Oddjob had a suggestion. But you simply saw I'd posted something and decided to take a cheap-shot.

What you could have done is simply said which model you bought and urge me to stay clear of it.

However I did send Buzzrack a "Karen" email like you've suggested before and they've replied several times with technical drawings and a really helpful video to fix my rack up so they'll get all my money from now on, for some really bang on customer service.
TLDR

nathanm

Eats Squid
"Irony" -
    • a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result.

Like getting called out for using buzzwords then using a buzzword to counter their point.

I always like "cool story bro" or "do you even lift"

moorey

call me Mia
"Irony" -
    • a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often wryly amusing as a result.
Like getting called out for using buzzwords then using a buzzword to counter their point.

I always like "cool story bro" or "do you even lift"
Oh man, you so woke. :D
Edit. Your use of Karen isn’t lost on me though.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
That is good news. I'm sure you get it sorted. I didn't expect mine to end up in pieces either but it looked worse that what it is.
It will break again eventually but is easy enough to fix after you have done it the first time. A tiny dab of blue loctite on the screw and axle bolt thingy IMHO is wise move too.

I'll pick up the jersey next time I see you :)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
@Haakon rates the Cyclingdeal ones.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Its lasted well for many years. @moorey wouldnt like it because I have it attached to a ball clamper, buts its a bloody good one I bought from Germany. Super nifty and strong.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I am picturing the Orange in a matching monza red now.
How matchy matchy would that be and also be 10km'h faster overall.

How do you get away with unmatching number plates on the bike rack and the car in the ACT?
You will get dragged behind a bullwagon and beaten up with government issue nightsticks if you dared do that over the border.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I am picturing the Orange in a matching monza red now.
How matchy matchy would that be and also be 10km'h faster overall.

How do you get away with unmatching number plates on the bike rack and the car in the ACT?
You will get dragged behind a bullwagon and beaten up with government issue nightsticks if you dared do that over the border.
I keep meaning to fix that numberplate... It matched the Reno that was totalled in the hail, and running the plate still comes back to me. But its canberra, there are no police here as far as I can tell!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
I keep meaning to fix that numberplate... It matched the Reno that was totalled in the hail, and running the plate still comes back to me. But its canberra, there are no police here as far as I can tell!
I have grumbled to the evil state of license plates that I should either have:
  1. A unique bike rack license plate as they do with trailers that can be bolted onto either car.
  2. A sharp discount on the second plate with 007 Aston Martin-esque revolving license plate thingy to show the correct one.

russthedog

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep, there's a fair force with bikes bouncing around. I cringe seeing some flimsier brands wobbling around, and resorting to ratchet straps and braces to hold them together. If it was mine, even in the last pic, I'd attach the top of that rack to the trailer, if it isn't already.
Up the front on the drawbar is a better option.
Hey all, this thread is a treasure trove for me - first time commenter! Ive got a question that I was hoping to get feedback from someone who has first hand experience. I am a long term Grip rack user and love them, and have typically owned a ute for shuttles. Im about to get a 4WD (Prado) which cant shuttle like the ute, so i need to work out how Im going to do it. Im back in WA where most shuttle roads are rough gravel. Ill be shuttling some DH bikes and some enduro bikes - most of my bikes have a long wheelbase eg 1300-1350mm, and most are 29ers.

There seem to be two main options:
-4 bike tray style rack (eg Grip rack).
- 4-6 bike vertical hanging rack eg NSR / Shingleback etc.

Ive used both racks to some extent but would like peoples perspective on:
-Security of holding bikes
-Strength of rack ie breaking/ bending
-Risk of damage to hitch
-Ease of access to rear of car (optional for me, not mandatory)

Im not really too fussed about price, but if you have an opinion on it let me know

moorey

call me Mia
Hey all, this thread is a treasure trove for me - first time commenter! Ive got a question that I was hoping to get feedback from someone who has first hand experience. I am a long term Grip rack user and love them, and have typically owned a ute for shuttles. Im about to get a 4WD (Prado) which cant shuttle like the ute, so i need to work out how Im going to do it. Im back in WA where most shuttle roads are rough gravel. Ill be shuttling some DH bikes and some enduro bikes - most of my bikes have a long wheelbase eg 1300-1350mm, and most are 29ers.

There seem to be two main options:
-4 bike tray style rack (eg Grip rack).
- 4-6 bike vertical hanging rack eg NSR / Shingleback etc.

Ive used both racks to some extent but would like peoples perspective on:
-Security of holding bikes
-Strength of rack ie breaking/ bending
-Risk of damage to hitch
-Ease of access to rear of car (optional for me, not mandatory)

Im not really too fussed about price, but if you have an opinion on it let me know
Sent you a message (FB) with my2c.....as if I haven't said plenty already...

Petero

Likes Dirt
I have no first hand experience, but I would imagine that the vertical hanging rack would be better for shuttling due to improved frame to frame clearance and number of bikes that could be fitted on the one rack?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Recall on Singletrail racks.

Mine is in this but my rack has done probably 10,000km including a lap of Tassie fully loaded with 4 bike + an E-bike with no issues.

Good on Currie Engineering for standing by their product.

Single Trail Racks V1 and V2 Pivot - Voluntary Recall

Currie Engineering has determined that, due to a limited number of recent warranty claims, there is a tolerance and design fault in V1 and V2 tilting racks that can result in the locking mechanism failing when fully loaded.

There is the potential for damage to your bikes and transport safety concerns in the event of failure.

Please stop using your rack immediately and check for damage on the lock teeth mechanism.

Our commitment to you is to provide high-end, quality products that are a result of comprehensive testing and engineering for your safety and that of your bike(s).

Therefore, we are voluntarily recalling all V1 and V2 tilting racks (sold before March 30th 2021 ONLY) to replace the faulty part and preserve that commitment to you while ensuring the safety of all road users.

We will replace all affected V1 and V2 rack pivots with our upgraded and heavier duty V3 system, which sees an increase of 300% strength and an improved locking mechanism, free of charge.

All you need to do is unbolt the upright from the main pivot assembly and replace it with the new one when it arrives.

Eligibility

The affected racks are all versions from 2-6 Bikes fitted with the V1 and V2 pivot and were sold Australia wide before March 30th 2021 ONLY.

If you have the new V3 you do not need to take any action.

If you have an order processing with us or one of our retailers you will receive the V3 Pivot with your new rack soon.

Only V1 and V2 Pivots are affected and voluntarily being recalled.

moorey

call me Mia
Recall on Singletrail racks.

Mine is in this but my rack has done probably 10,000km including a lap of Tassie fully loaded with 4 bike + an E-bike with no issues.

Good on Currie Engineering for standing by their product.
Yep. Was talking to him a few weeks ago. Improvement rather than problem. Watch for the SpotX crew to pounce :D