BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Two kinds of people, those who have run into things with bikes on the roof, and those that are yet to.
That's where non-labour assisted garage doors come in.

Drive up to door, get out, open. Walk back to car - oh shit bikes are still on it. Remove them.

Despite the risk of trees etc. I still prefer roof mounted to on the back - tailgaters hovering near my pride and joy make me anxious and angery.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale

Drive up to door, get out, open. Walk back to car - oh shit bikes are still on it. Remove them.

Despite the risk of trees etc. I still prefer roof mounted to on the back - tailgaters hovering near my pride and joy make me anxious and angery.
Definitely glad the bikes weren't on the back of mine the other day.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal

+1, I have an auto door, but when I put the bike on the roof in the drive I plonk one of these ($20 from Bunnings) in the centre of the garage so it's the first thing I see on return when the door rolls up.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
When I had roof racks I did the same but used my floor pump which was generally used just before loading up anyway.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Obviously the garage door isn't the only risk with roof racks, a mate of mine had his son's bike on the roof, forgot and drove into an under cover carpark.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I used to be quite paranoid with bikes on the roof.

Never hit anything thankfully, but one time I checked the roof from in the car, realised my bike wasn’t there and proceeded to reverse over my bike which was on the ground behind the car. That was a monumental fuck up on my behalf

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
Don't hate me but I have ordered an ebike so my roof mounted Thule 951 won't work anymore. I already have a Shingleback carrier but need something when carrying just the ebike for solo missions and given the $ already spent don't want to brake the bank.
In the past people have spoken highly of the cycling deal platform racks similar to this Venzo 2 bike platform carrier. Anyone got an opinion on how it would go set up for one bike carrying a 24kg ebike? Perhaps taking the battery out to improve my confidence in this cheaper rack?
Sorry silly question, but why don’t you just use the shingleback when you go alone?

Switch

huskier headed gent
Sorry silly question, but why don’t you just use the shingleback when you go alone?
Shingle back is used as storage in the shed for all the bikes as its a 5 bike rack. Unloading all the bikes, dragging the rack from the shed to the garage and fitting it on (as it won't fit on a vehicle when in the garage) every week will be a pain in the arse. A smaller singe rack that can live in the garage will just be an easier option to quickly install each time I head out.
Definitely a first world problem of getting separate racks to suit certain scenarios.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Any recommendations for a good tailgate pad?

I'm looking at either this -

or this -

mainly because of the brands and they look good but does anyone have experience with one that's worked well? Seems to be a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to the small details that could affect paintwork for the ute or the bike.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Any recommendations for a good tailgate pad?
Mate had the Dakine one, it was fine afaik. The Yakima one looks pretty baller though. I think the main thing is that you get one with tie-downs for the bikes, or at the very least the built up sides to stop the bikes from bouncing off the pad onto the hard tailgate edge.

HamboCairns

Mate had the Dakine one, it was fine afaik. The Yakima one looks pretty baller though. I think the main thing is that you get one with tie-downs for the bikes, or at the very least the built up sides to stop the bikes from bouncing off the pad onto the hard tailgate edge.
It's those small details that seem to be missing from a lot of reviews.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Two kinds of people, those who have run into things with bikes on the roof, and those that are yet to.
Height for access to load your bike, having to heft a bike up that high and secure it is fun. Mate of mine managed to drive his fork dropout into the roof of his car as he was parked on a slope and slipped slightly. I don't recommend the fork mount ones to anyone.

Having said that, I'm in the latter category and the Yakima racks I have make it easy to load the bikes, although I don't have a 4WD.
For me it was that on the roof seems a silly place to put them in general. Ok for local use I guess, but any long trips the fuel suck and noise is unacceptable. Platform rack puts them in the car’s slip stream as it were - not only protected from bugs and rocks, but just in an all round more convenient and sensible place.

It’s literally a 5 second job to put the hitch rack on, longer to plug in the lights. And when it’s not on there I don’t have noisy roof racks still on it.

HamboCairns

I was close to pulling the trigger on the Yakima pad but I've read a number of claims that the Velcro loops stop working effectively after a short while.

I'm leaning towards the Dakine or Race Face.

Scotty675

Cable thief
I was close to pulling the trigger on the Yakima pad but I've read a number of claims that the Velcro loops stop working effectively after a short while.

I'm leaning towards the Dakine or Race Face.
I’d throw Thule in the mix. I’m happy with mine. I got sick of waiting for the race face to come back in stock. After reading reviews the race face quality may have dropped though