BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

moorey

call me Mia
I thought the old ones were a thing of engineering beauty, it's a real shame he couldn't just make them stronger

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk
Yeah. I hoped to keep it for Felix to cuss around with, but I understand he doesn’t really want the old ones floating around if he has any concerns about them.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
@ozzybmx, he’s binning the old ones…literally. Assumed he’d mention it, but won’t be wanting the old one back.
He explained he wanted them back as he wanted them put out of use, as in not re-made into a back yard rack at a later date.

The original notice said he would send a return postage label and for the old one to be returned.

I got nothing about returning the old pivot ?

betadine

Likes Bikes
Just about made my mind up on the Single Trail 6 bike rack. My only reservation is about the weight. How do people find getting it on and off the tow bar. Is it an easy one person job?

Cheers

B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

Just about made my mind up on the Single Trail 6 bike rack. My only reservation is about the weight. How do people find getting it on and off the tow bar. Is it an easy one person job?
I wouldn't say it was easy but can be done.

Probably 50% of the time I do the on/off myself.

Had an idea the last time I took it off, to try putting it on next time fully tilted back, which means no supporting the top while lining the 50mm square hitch up.

moorey

call me Mia
I won’t lie, not light, but manageable. I’ll take heavier and stable with a slight fitting inconvenience any day*

*mine rarely comes off ute, and back is rooted, but manageable myself.

betadine

Likes Bikes
I wouldn't say it was easy but can be done.

Probably 50% of the time I do the on/off myself.

Had an idea the last time I took it off, to try putting it on next time fully tilted back, which means no supporting the top while lining the 50mm square hitch up.
Good to know. I thought laying it down might be the go. Hopefully most of the time I won’t be doing it on my own.

betadine

Likes Bikes
I won’t lie, not light, but manageable. I’ll take heavier and stable with a slight fitting inconvenience any day*

*mine rarely comes off ute, and back is rooted, but manageable myself.
Agree with you on that. Stability is critical.

My back is in good shape but overall I’m closer to Mr Burns that Mr Wonderful. I should have some help most of the time.

moorey

call me Mia

Cheers

B

BTW. We are raffling off a 5 bike model…Mitch would probably upgrade it if you won. Just sayin.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Forgot to say the 5 bike single trail rack turned up the other day after a bit of a wait. Great bit of kit but yeah pretty hefty. I can solo it with much huffing but no way the missus is going to be able to. A heap easier than putting 5 bikes on the roof of a 4x4 tho I can tell you.

moorey

call me Mia
Forgot to say the 5 bike single trail rack turned up the other day after a bit of a wait. Great bit of kit but yeah pretty hefty. I can solo it with much huffing but no way the missus is going to be able to. A heap easier than putting 5 bikes on the roof of a 4x4 tho I can tell you.
Yeah, I wouldn’t let wifey do mine….but watching short women and kids (ok, me too) get multiple bikes on a tall car roof? Hell no. Enjoy b

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Can you lock these single trail racks to the hitch and bikes onto the rack? Not "overnight in random carpark" sort of locked. Just "nip into maccas on the way home" type locked

ozzybmx

Can you lock these single trail racks to the hitch and bikes onto the rack? Not "overnight in random carpark" sort of locked. Just "nip into maccas on the way home" type locked
The hitch stabilizer will stop any random opportunist clown stealing it, but not if they know whats holding it in the hitch receiver.

I regularly strap all bikes to the rack by weaving a shrouded 5m cable through frames and wheels, wont stop someone with a set of bolt cutters but will stop the same opportunist meth-head grabbing a bike.

You could go with a heavier cable for more security. Mine is only plastic covered 6-8mm SS cable.

How do you all store your vertical racks?

I have a shingleback 5 bike rack and need to store it in the garage against a wall so the cars still fit in, so the trolley wont work as it will be too far of the wall?