BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

goobags

Likes Dirt
To bring the weight issue back up, just check what the actual allowable ball weight is before considering. Our Mazda CX-9 which is longer and wider than a Prado is only good for 100kg ball weight. So 5 x 15kg bikes plus a rack is starting to push the limits. Then add the fact they’re hanging way back from the tow bar and it was be proper ass dragging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

takai

Eats Squid
20” but it’s a plus tyre so has a bit more meat.

It’s a little tricky to strap but still possible.

Guessing that is going to be a no go then for a 16" bike.

Also does anyone use a NS style rack on a camper trailer? Trying to work out a way of taking 5 bikes (including 3 kids bikes) and the camper.

moorey

call me Mia

Also does anyone use a NS style rack on a camper trailer? Trying to work out a way of taking 5 bikes (including 3 kids bikes) and the camper.
Attached a hitch to the back of our trailer. I don’t trust that hitch strength though, so I run straps to the trailer.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes

The best place is the trailer A-frame - particularly with vertical racks. What is the length from your ball to the trailer? We do more caravans than camper trailers, but the campers are easier to mount.

Attachments

takai

Eats Squid
Yeah, its a fairly short draw bar and already has the spare tyre and electrical box up front. Its only a 7x5 soft floor camper. But thinking about rigging it up to cantilever back over the trailer itself so it is at a 45* layback.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
Yeah, its a fairly short draw bar and already has the spare tyre and electrical box up front. Its only a 7x5 soft floor camper. But thinking about rigging it up to cantilever back over the trailer itself so it is at a 45* layback.
Do you have a picture of your trailer? A swing arm doesn’t need too much mounting room and will still allow access - these can be configured to sit over the body of the trailer but you start to get pretty tall.

rear mounts are generally a terrible idea for caravans as most don’t have the chassis rails all the way to the back, your trailer should have structural members to the back but it’s pretty unlikely you’d be able to use a u-bolt adapter hitch without drilling through the tray, a hitch welded on might be a better option. You would also need to remove the rack to set up camp which can be a pain or have a custom swing arm to get it past the setup. The other issue to be aware of is weight distribution, and how it effects your tow.
(FYI the Yakima hangover 6 is the lightest and cheapest for capacity vertical available in Australia, not too sure how it goes with the smaller bikes but also not sure you need the strength and added mass of the other brands on the market).

the other option would be for top and tailing on top of the trailer with fork mounts.

takai

Eats Squid
Do you have a picture of your trailer? A swing arm doesn’t need too much mounting room and will still allow access - these can be configured to sit over the body of the trailer but you start to get pretty tall.

rear mounts are generally a terrible idea for caravans as most don’t have the chassis rails all the way to the back, your trailer should have structural members to the back but it’s pretty unlikely you’d be able to use a u-bolt adapter hitch without drilling through the tray, a hitch welded on might be a better option. You would also need to remove the rack to set up camp which can be a pain or have a custom swing arm to get it past the setup. The other issue to be aware of is weight distribution, and how it effects your tow.
(FYI the Yakima hangover 6 is the lightest and cheapest for capacity vertical available in Australia, not too sure how it goes with the smaller bikes but also not sure you need the strength and added mass of the other brands on the market).

the other option would be for top and tailing on top of the trailer with fork mounts.
Its a reasonably crowded A frame:

These days it also has a hinged rack over the top of the tent to mount a roof pod for carrying bedding etc, so cant really do the top and tail fork or caddy mounts there.

The Yakima Hangover is certainly light, but doesnt work with road or CX bikes, so that is out.

I have considered moving the spare wheel to the side of the trailer and then reclaiming that space for a vertical NS type rack that can fit into a hitch sleeve for mounting on the trailer but still be able to be removed for general use around town. That will depend on whether or not there is enough clearance back to the car though, which I havent quite figured out yet.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
Any of the hooped verticals will work with roadies but you need to pad the hoop so you don’t damage your rims ($2 pool noodle from Bunnings works great).
Roughly judging by sight a vertical would need to sit above your box so would be quite high for loading - no pressure as I didn’t come on here to sell stuff but if you want to dm me I’ll flick you my email and we can work out if we can get something to work for you next week obligation free.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
For anyone running a single trail or shingle back style vertical racks. Have you had any issues with the plod regarding number plate or lights being obscured?
Solutions?

I have a bike rack number plate from RMS already but a few locals have copped fines for lights being blocked by bikes on rack.

moorey

call me Mia
For anyone running a single trail or shingle back style vertical racks. Have you had any issues with the plod regarding number plate or lights being obscured?
Solutions?

I have a bike rack number plate from RMS already but a few locals have copped fines for lights being blocked by bikes on rack.

I haven’t…and rack lives on ute. I’m pushing my luck though, as I always forget to even fit the number plate with bikes on.
I only carry 2-3 bike most of the time, and put them in the middle so as not to obscure lights or plate. But still….

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
Solutions?

Light bars are available from all the brands, also eBay or any marine store - just attach one to the rear wheels and plug into the trailer plug and you’re perfectly legal.