Bike Racks

richiev

Likes Bikes
OK, I am looking at getting a bike rack for my car but don't know what to get and/or which shops to look at in Melbourne. My car is a Holden Commodore VX Series II and my bike is a 2004 Norco Sasquatch.
What is better, a roof rack or a towbar rack?
cheers in advance.

dickyknee

Likes Dirt
get the tow bar rack i had one on my commodore and it was fine ,
i heard a story from local bike shop lady about a friend of hers who forgot about the bikes and drive the car with two bikes on roof under the carport at their house .did not do the roof or bikes much good .

towabar, i think you can get the rack that go on the toolbar and its got the design of sitting your crank in it like the shuttle trailers do, then u just tie the bike down and done, not too expensive either, and you dont have to take detours around low bridges either

XR51X

Likes Dirt
Are there any towbar mounted racks which will hold bikes with non-conventional frames (Duallies like 222's and stuff)??
Or do you need to have a roof-rack for them?

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you want a tuff one that won't wobble about and be scary when there is a DH bike on it then PM Grip and check his out. He does a two bike one that is made from ex army Leopard Tanks and is rated to 1.8 million tonnes. The bikes drop a crank in the slot just like an MTBA trailer.
And Yep, R51X, they'll take any shape bike. (maybe not Saint cranks tho)

richiev

Likes Bikes
cool, thanks for that iLikeBasS, browsing gripsport site now.
the single Towbar Carrier from gripsport looks like what i am after.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
cam-o said:
is rated to 1.8 million tonnes
Jeez I hate it when people aren't accurate.... it's actually 1.8002 tonnes

cam-o said:
(maybe not Saint cranks tho)
We are now doing holders for Saint and BMX cranks too. :lol:

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grip said:
cam-o said:
is rated to 1.8 million tonnes
Jeez I hate it when people aren't accurate.... it's actually 1.8002 tonnes

cam-o said:
(maybe not Saint cranks tho)
We are now doing holders for Saint and BMX cranks too. :lol:
Sorry mate, I was only able to exert 1.8 million when I was testing. I'll head to the gym today see if I can get that extra .002. Just call me Cartman BEEFCAKE.....BEEFCAAAAAKE :)

snow_rider

Likes Dirt
we have a towbar rack and you can get them from most bike shops it is metal with rubber straps that you can stech over your bike