Bike Related Deaths

Enigma

Cannon Fodder
I remember when Garry Payne crashed on Mitchell Pass, I used to go do some of the single tracks around Knapsack gully and burl down that road and was too young and naive to think it could ever happen to me, I took my younger bro down there one day in 1998 he was on his Mongoose BMX, he lost it into the guard rail, completely faarked him up, he was in hospital for weeks and basically he wheel barrowed the road surface, then hit guard rail head on at speed, scary thing was he had a habit of not wearing his stack hat but for some reason I forced him to wear it if he wanted to come, lucky I did... Not long after another bloke came off and died, I think he was actually a doctor or something?

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some guy died at the gaotfarm ages ago, Yeh for anyone living in Perth and knows the goatfarm. He hucked of the massive quarry closest to the new tracks and landed to flat and was impaled by his bike in two different places or somthing. yep his bike snapped and stabbed him twice :(
I think this is an urban myth. Never heard of anyone dying at the Goatfarm,

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep ive heard the goatfarm one it was a moto rider though didnt see the edge and went off

sikpuppyonglory

Likes Dirt
a guy had died after riding the infamous mammoth mountain doing the kamakazi run in the late 80's early 90's..

internal bleeding & internal injuries were the cause of this man's death, god rest his soul, he at least died doing what he loved. :(

intenselife

Likes Dirt
a guy had died after riding the infamous mammoth mountain doing the kamakazi run in the late 80's early 90's..

internal bleeding & internal injuries were the cause of this man's death, god rest his soul, he at least died doing what he loved. :(
There's footage of him just after the crash talking just before he died on the video Kamikaze-10 year anniversary. sad

Mr Peabody

Likes Dirt
is there an actual annual toll for cyclists killed on the road like they have the national road toll or do they include them in the road toll as its considered a road accident as generally a motor vehicle is involved ??

MTB11R

Likes Dirt
There were 45,554 recorded road crashes in New South Wales during 2005. Of these, 19,859 were casualty crashes. There were 508 persons killed and 25,209 injured.

Four of the thirteen pedal cyclists killed and at least 21% of those injured failed to wear a helmet.

Twenty-three per cent of all drivers and motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were young persons aged 17-
25, but this age group accounted for only 15% per cent of licence holders.

Info from RTA's 2005 Road traffic crashes in New South Wales
Statistical Statement: year ended 31 December 2005. This is NSW only.

2006 data not complete yet. Year to date as of November 2006 is 7 cyclist dead.

Last edited:

pylet_thekid

Likes Dirt
is there an actual annual toll for cyclists killed on the road like they have the national road toll or do they include them in the road toll as its considered a road accident as generally a motor vehicle is involved ??
I've been seeing adds recently give statistics about bike injuries(trying to get people to wear helmets)i think it was 8 deaths a year.Lots of serious injuries(brain damage and stuff).Has anyone else senn it?

waddell

Pro Rider
I could be wrong, but wasn't there a female dh rider who died at the same event that Johnny Waddell had his crash at a couple of years ago? I think she might have been Japanese, but I can't remember the details
Hi Zac,
A Japanese female died at DH race, i competed at Snow Summit (Big Bear, California). The comp was either 'Gotta Thunder' or some other Southern Californian race.
Cheers mate

waddell

Pro Rider
Some guy died at the gaotfarm ages ago, Yeh for anyone living in Perth and knows the goatfarm. He hucked of the massive quarry closest to the new tracks and landed to flat and was impaled by his bike in two different places or somthing. yep his bike snapped and stabbed him twice :(
☹

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Slightly left of centre but one poor bastard died riding in the French Alps when he was mistaken for game and a hunter shot him. Talk about fucking random.

Ranndom shit.

John U

MTB Precision
A rider died in what I understand was a head on crash with another rider out my way 3 or 4 weeks ago (Eastern Melbourne). Anyone else hear of this?

Have always wondered what the outcome of a head on with another rider on the Eastern Freeway bike path would be like. Especially after near misses.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Youies had one, had a friend go on buller years back, parents friend had one. Not as uncommon as youd think. Mostly heart failure or neck/spine.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
A rider died in what I understand was a head on crash with another rider out my way 3 or 4 weeks ago (Eastern Melbourne). Anyone else hear of this?

Have always wondered what the outcome of a head on with another rider on the Eastern Freeway bike path would be like. Especially after near misses.
I was told third hand rider was on a new eBike and had a head on with a tree at Silvan mid week riding solo. How did this not make the media?