Bike Security/ Home storage

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Alright all,
So I've been meaning to do this for a while, but I need to properly secure my bikes.
We are currently lucky with where we live in a strata, with a number of older residents who are home during the day and the house has an alarm which I'm lucky that my son turns on when he leaves for school each day.... however I have a number of expensive bi-pedals that should be secured better than they are.
During the weekend we are home but one of the garage doors is normally open for various reasons. The bikes are all racked but not visible from outside. I have been meaning to get a couple of cameras which will probably happen over summer for the front/ back and garage interior for additional security but I should start with the basics.

Looking for suggestions for ground anchors/ chains/ and locks, I have a total of 7 bikes to secure, so probably four anchors/ chains/ locks.

Flow-Rider

Burner
There's really not a lot you can do because most crims carry bolt cutters or they come back with them. You can go to the effort of welding the nuts on the anchor bolts and using hardened chains but it will only slow them down, The best thing to do is keep the bikes out of peoples sight, out of sight out of mind. Try not to load and unload them where everyone can see them and make sure they're insured for what they're really worth.

Cameras are only good for knowing why it’s missing not stopping it from going missing. Get them added to your home and contents insurance as an “all risk” item and lock the garage door. There is no reason other than lack of planning or laziness to leave the garage door open for “various reasons”. Would you even lock the bikes up every time with chains and ground anchors?
I lock mine up always, it will always stop the unprepared opportunist thief but that's about it.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
There's really not a lot you can do because most crims carry bolt cutters or they came back with them. You can go to the effort of welding the nuts on the anchor bolts and using hardened chains but it will only slow them down
Thx, that's backing up what I've been reading. However over an 18mm chain can't be cut with bolt cutters and has to be attacked with a a power grinder for a fair while and given where I live..... that will have the nanas on the phone!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Thx, that's backing up what I've been reading. However over an 18mm chain can't be cut with bolt cutters and has to be attacked with a a power grinder for a fair while and given where I live..... that will have the nanas on the phone!
18mm diameter is a big chain but you can oxy cut it in seconds and then you'll need a lock which they'll be able to cut with the bolt cutters unless you build some sort of cover over it where they can't open the jaws of the bolt cutters wide enough to get around it. They can also use liquid nitrogen and a chisel to split the lock or chain.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Yeah, some of the initial reading I've been doing suggests that UK sources have been speccing up to 22mm but there appears to be x-over with motorbike security.
The aim is not to produce the ultimate setup (appears not to exist for two wheels, for home storage) but more the best setup within reason

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, some of the initial reading I've been doing suggests that UK sources have been speccing up to 22mm but there appears to be x-over with motorbike security.
The aim is not to produce the ultimate setup (appears not to exist for two wheels, for home storage) but more the best setup within reason
Xena alarm locks still rate up there, both preventative and detective, and cheap. Fix to looped cable and even cheaper. Course, I don't have one, I just repeat it in these threads.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Have you recently experienced a security breach? Or is this just a growing paranoia?
General sense of paranoia..... the son has friends coming over fairly regularly now and their bikes end up in the garage as well. I'm not so much worried by them as they don't know whats parked up (11 year olds). Its more their 22 year old second cousin thats looking for a quick buck for their next ice hit after they hear about the dude with the cool shiny bikes

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Paranoia breeds paranoia...

Could ou build a complicated metal frame up, similar to the way gates are constructed for national parks etc? Locks inside boxes, chain inside metal tube, and so on. Maybe a large bear living in the garage.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sell the good bikes and ride something crap that won't bring you tears when it goes missing :p

As mentioned above, you can only really protect from opportunistic scum. Are the bikes covered by your insurance?

We have our fleet of bikes in a laundry that has a decent door and dead lock but if you really wanted to get in and take them you could. We have an open garage/carport that we are thinking of enclosing. If we do I would probably look at some kind of bike cage set up for extra piece of mind.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have the Torc ground anchor with resin fixing kit sunk into my shed floor. 13mm chain (I think I have a 2m length) then I lock the bikes to the chain with various D-locks (including the massive Fahgettaboudit for most expensive bike).

From these guys: https://securityforbikes.com/index.php

Just keep in mind the 18mm chain is absolutely massive and really heavy - enough so that I'd be nervous of dropping it while locking bikes up and denting or cracking the frame. Even the 13mm chain is 3kg/meter, the 19mm chain is over 6kg/m! I'd not go over 16mm to be honest, even the 13mm is ridiculous.

Used a similar set-up when I was in a unit block except I had the bikes on the wall (which is safer as the chain is off the floor - harder to bolt cut).

Finally I have a Rottweiler (though she's getting on a bit :( and insurance

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Insurance. And dont leave them out. The end... Anything else just slows them down.

I only have one 20 year old Mongoose I'd cry if it got nicked (sentimental value only), otherwise I make sure they're insured for well over replacement to cover the mods etc. Beyond that you'll drive yourself nuts worrying about it.

I'm positive my feral ice addict neighbour knows I have flash bikes in the shed, cant be helped from a years of driving in and out with it on the bike rack, or coming home after work every (most. ok ok, some days...) day on the roadie. Cant be helped...

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I have the Torc ground anchor with resin fixing kit sunk into my shed floor. 13mm chain (I think I have a 2m length) then I lock the bikes to the chain with various D-locks (including the massive Fahgettaboudit for most expensive bike).

From these guys: https://securityforbikes.com/index.php

Just keep in mind the 18mm chain is absolutely massive and really heavy - enough so that I'd be nervous of dropping it while locking bikes up and denting or cracking the frame. Even the 13mm chain is 3kg/meter, the 19mm chain is over 6kg/m! I'd not go over 16mm to be honest, even the 13mm is ridiculous.

Used a similar set-up when I was in a unit block except I had the bikes on the wall (which is safer as the chain is off the floor - harder to bolt cut).

Finally I have a Rottweiler (though she's getting on a bit :( and insurance
Thx.
Good to know about the chain weights.
Do you have a picture of your setup you're happy to post or DM?
I found this to be a good source of info http://thebestbikelock.com/best-chain-lock/

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
General sense of paranoia..... the son has friends coming over fairly regularly now and their bikes end up in the garage as well. I'm not so much worried by them as they don't know whats parked up (11 year olds). Its more their 22 year old second cousin thats looking for a quick buck for their next ice hit after they hear about the dude with the cool shiny bikes
Usually how it goes isn't it. As said above, all security measures do is slow would-be-thieves down. Sure, ill-prepared opportunists are less likely to succeed if your bikes are secured well (although they may come back better prepared), but professionals with bolt cutters and battery powered angle grinders are going to make short work of most security measures. All you can do is buy time and force them to make a lot of noise so they stand a chance of being busted or spooked. Adequate insurance is the only real way to protect your investment from the professionals, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't secure your bikes.

To go back to your original question on ground anchors and chains, I'd suggest a good motorcycle ground anchor (like this example), some Pewag 1/2" security chain (galvanised version of Pewag 3012 chain originally used as snow chains on heavy machinery, case hardened to 62 HRC or better which is higher than the hardened steel jaws on a bolt cutter - only an angle grinder or freezing will get through it), and a pin lock that's up to the task. The smart thing to do would be to invest in several sets, so you're only locking one or two bikes with each, making it harder for the scumbags.

It is hard to come by locally - you can buy online but I'd imagine the freight costs would be exorbitant.

And do all the passive stuff too - don't leave bikes in plain sight, don't mention your mtb passion to strangers, educate the kids etc..

Travis22

Likes Dirt
3kg didnt sound right, i need to hit the gym i guess, id have estimated 10kg!

This is my short bike chain / lock i use on the bike if i leave it on the car/bike rack when on holidays etc.

Its 1m x 13mm 100 grade lifting chain.

Have made up a few different lengths for use at home. Made one out of 16mm 100 grade chain too but dont use it on the mtb’s, its too bloody heavy.

Travis.

Attachments

Last edited:

Binaural

Eats Squid
Add a recording motion camera with in there with a sign to that effect. Kogan et al sell these for about $100, and they stream the video to the web so they can't be destroyed. This will help deter the local opportunists who know they might be recognised. Will also make a theft claim relatively straightforward on insurance if the bikes are secured in some fashion.

Another question here - at home I lock bikes using an ordinary bike lock through the rear wheel and frame, but not to the wall. Useless or would it have at least some deterrent function?

Warp

Likes Dirt
I had a couple of my kid's bikes stolen from my 1st floor balcony. So yeah, keep them out of sight as main prevention measure. Once the fuggers are decided to steal from you, little will deter them. Out of sight, out of mind.
Another sucky aspect in all of this is that some burglars are minors and once caught, they are left back on the street with a slap on the wrist.