Bike selection: Scott Genius LT vs Giant Trance

Mamba

Cannon Fodder
Hi fellow MTbikers.

I a newbie to the forum so go easy on me!

I'm looking for a duallie for 'aggressive' trail riding. Something I can hit drops and steep chutes with but will still get me a decent pace up a hill.

I've been looking at the Scott Genius LT 20 in carbon, which is meant to be a good all round bike in a 26" wheel. I've also been looking at the Giant Trance X 29er 1 / X 29er 0.

I know these bikes are quite different, but I'm thinking the Scott has enough options for dialing in a ride and the Trance may be better value for money and still deliver a versatile but capable bike? I'm aiming to have a bike that I can ride harder and faster with time, something I will 'grow into' as my riding develops further and I'm worried the Trance may not offer enough travel / spec for where I aim to head.

Specs on bikes:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/c...product/review-giant-trance-x-29er-0-13-47001

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-scott-genius-20-10-35146

Any ideas?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
The Trance is an incredibly capable all-rounder for a 5" bike. By some funky trick of the Maestro system it has the feel of having a fair bit more travel available, so it takes decent hits, while not losing out on the small bump suppleness. The reasonably slack head angle ensures stable steering, while the tight rear end & not insane weight keep it agile and a great climber too.

The XT spec of the X 0 is a bombproofly reliable package. The only problem could be availability until the 2014 models come out around August.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get a Trance X, people are too conscious about bikes. there is not that much riding that the Trance X couldn't do,

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
I bought a Genius 740 a couple of weeks back, its an amazing frame, the spec could be better but it gets the job done, very, very well.

I found it beats you up a little if you are used to less efficient frames that wallow in their travel, so the Genius LT would hopefully fix that. The advantage to the LT is the fact that because it has the TwinLoc system it means you dont have to compromise with your sag levels, so you could run 30% sag and still be able to ride on flat singletrack without felling like you're on a DH bike because you can lock it in trail mode

Last edited:

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
We are all different what we may like and prefer , I was also looking at the Trance , and was caught in between sizes M - L ,

Ended up with the Trek Rumblefish 19 inch ,also a 5 inch travel 29er, for me it fitted , rode and handled much better .

adublu

Squid
How do you find going to a 29er from a 26er? Do you sit much higher and feel like your centre of gravity is too high?

Hugor

Likes Dirt
I find it hurts a bit more when I fall off.
I also notice the wind a bit more in open areas which is great in summer.
The downside of course is having to look for a rock or log all the time to get on or off the bike.
Shits me no end.

Joking mate.
COG is not affected due to geometry changes. Welcome to the forum!

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
How do you find going to a 29er from a 26er? Do you sit much higher and feel like your centre of gravity is too high?
Cog shouldn't change much, if at all. Bottom bracket heights are the same, which is where most of your weight should be, though on a 29er the bb centre is lower than the 26 when measured relative to the wheel hub. If the bb is the same height, then the seat height is also. That leaves the fork, which is indeed higher on a 29 er than a 26 er, therefore your arse and pedals are at the same height, but the bars are higher for the same stack etc, which is why you rarely see risers and lots of spacers on 29 ers

floody

Wheel size expert
On a properly designed 29er its a non issue.

On a Genius LT you sit way up high and feel like you're riding on stilts because really its just a jacked up XC bike with a few kilos of lead packed in, its short and steep and tall. Its a bike for alps rides with long traverses and climbs, where you need the big travel for the beating of being a stiff armed, sit down, euro-style rider on the hour long descents.

For Australia, get the Giant, or if you're shopping at an avantiplus, seriously consider a Coppermine.

Last edited:

Mamba

Cannon Fodder
Hey all

Thanks for the good advice so far. It seems like the Genius is a good bike if the pull shock does not play up and if you're needing / wanting more travel support as a 'lazier' rider.

@floody - I must admit the Genius was a little short but I kind of liked being over the bike a little more, it gave me more confidence but may have limited the ability to whip the tail end?

The Trance seems to be a mainstay bike though. The dropper post definitely makes a difference on the LT and the Trance. I can't imagine a serious trail bike without one.

Has anyone had any experience with the Trek Fuel EX 8?

floody

Wheel size expert
The pull shock will play up. Its a matter of when, not if.

My 135mm travel Torrent was pretty much faster everywhere up, down and across compared to the Genius LT, although the LT was a bit more comfortable (in terms of cushion) in fast rough stuff. Overall you'll be happier on a shorter travel, lighter bike I think.

Last edited:

Siggy

Likes Bikes
Scott LT vs Giant Trance

Hey,

biggest question is how much travel do you really need? What have you been riding up till now? Chances are the Trance (I've had an X0 for 5 years) will do everything you could ever want unless you're starting to hit jumps/drops well over 1m. The biggest thing I find it struggles on is continuous small/medium hits, the travel just doesn't soak it all up.

Having said that, I did decide to build up a 7 inch bike, with the thought I would use all it's potential. But the reality is I used the downhill capabilities of the bike but really wanted something that could get me back up more efficiently. So, if the extra travel is a must and you're real keen on the Genius go for it, otherwise the Trance is the go. I'd seriously look at a Specialized Stumpy or Stumpy Evo (150mm). Personally I recon the Evo or a Santa Cruz Nomad/ Yeti 575 is the way to go (or 29er equivalent also). You'll have all the travel you'll ever need and the climbing efficiency of shorter travel bikes.

I've spent the last few weeks testing 29er demo bikes and it's a fact they are faster hands down! If you want to go fast up and not much slower down, go the 29er. I couldn't tell the difference riding my 26 to the 29er as far as ehight/comfort goes. Maybe the Scott is a bit higher, not sure I haven't ridden one.

Good luck!

Siggy

Baino

Likes Bikes
Scott vs giant.

I just brought a genius 740 a couple weeks back and I must say so far so good, after getting of my fuel 9 into the genius I can feel a huge difference. Originally I wanted the trek remedy but it was abit pricey for me at the moment. The genius also seems pricey with the components it comes with however for an extra 300 I got upgraded to full xt drivetrain and you'll probably find most scott dealers are doing great prices ATM as there is a new model coming in October. Saying all this though I'm not very familiar with the giant range, just my two cents worth mate.