Bike Transport (Van)

gradg

Likes Bikes
Hey guys,

I've got a Volkswagen Multivan and have been thinking, ever since I got it, of the right way of transporting bikes in the back.

I'd like to be able to leave the wheels on and have the back bench seat still inside, slid all the way up with enough room for people to sit in the back... ideally.

I've got a 29er, 26 and a roadie and would like something I can take at least 2 bikes in.

I've been thinking of using the attachment on the back of the bench seat that usually takes the cargo-cover for some form of rack that rests on the ground for support.

Wondering if anyone has a similar vehicle that has come up with a great way of transporting their bikes. I'd rather do it once and do it right than go through a bunch of crappy ways to do it.

Not my vehicle, but some images to help.

multivan-2009-boot.jpg

This seat slides a LOT further forward.

The 29er is still being built so I'm yet to try to fit it in as I normally do with the 26 and roadie.

Just looking for ideas I guess.

Dwain

Squid
This will all come down to how easy you would like to load the bikes and your budget.

The cheapest solution would be moto tie downs with solid eye bolts installed on those tracks. This would be quite time consuming but it will be cheap.

I would look into using the arm off Thule's side arm (ba594xt) and install that to a crossbar that is attached to the track.

Either way it is important to secure your bikes so in the event of an accident the don't dislodge.

Most roof rack shops should be able to show you what the best method is and would be able to supply the parts to you.

gradg

Likes Bikes
I went in to my local roof rack joint and they showed me options that involved a thule bar that runs across the back and is fork mount. The 29er is a through axle so i'd need a different mount again.

Budget I'm not TERRIBLY worried about (not that the pockets are that deep) but I'm happy to do something right if it costs a little more.

The arm is a good idea but I can't justify buying 2 racks (over $600) when I can't get a piece made to anchor in to the rails.

The can already has 4 anchor points to use for straps which I've used in the past, but is time consuming and there's so many ways to do it. Just looking for ideas for something simple but effective.

SOTTA

Likes Dirt
if you can live with taking the wheels off, google a product called Delta Bike Hitch Pro. They are QR mounts that can be bolted into the back of a van/ute. For the 29er, Gripsport and another company called Hurricane make adaptors for 15mm front axles.

This is the system I use in the back of my ute to stand 2 bikes up, if I felt like it I could easily do 3. The system works great and didn't cost the world either. Keeps the bikes nice and secure and its simple. I use the gripsport 15mm adaptor for my bike. Only other things to get are some high tensile bolts and nuts.

Dwain

Squid
Why not look into some of the cheaper frame holding roof top bike holders. These are usually around $150 each and will have a quick release clamp that will attach to the frame.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Gradg...you need to source the mounts for the seat rails. Then fit them to a length of 50x50 square tube. Fit your fork hitches (and get a 15QR adapter from Gripsport) to the bar. Job's done.

You may find that you can get suitable mounts on the aftermarket from one of the vehicle fitout suppliers like Ovesco...

But if you want to leave the wheels on...then ditch the fork hitches and use two loops of bent steel rod instead welded into a flat bottomed V on the bar. Wedge the front wheel in and secure with length of Velcro.

Don't mount of the back of the seat or the cargo cover mount. Neither will cope with the load and forces for very long...

gradg

Likes Bikes
Why not look into some of the cheaper frame holding roof top bike holders. These are usually around $150 each and will have a quick release clamp that will attach to the frame.
The two bikes I own are both carbon frames. The guys I ride with either have carbon frames or will be getting carbon frames, I'd prefer not to use something that clamps onto the downtube if I can avoid it.

Gradg...you need to source the mounts for the seat rails. Then fit them to a length of 50x50 square tube. Fit your fork hitches (and get a 15QR adapter from Gripsport) to the bar. Job's done.

You may find that you can get suitable mounts on the aftermarket from one of the vehicle fitout suppliers like Ovesco...

But if you want to leave the wheels on...then ditch the fork hitches and use two loops of bent steel rod instead welded into a flat bottomed V on the bar. Wedge the front wheel in and secure with length of Velcro.

Don't mount of the back of the seat or the cargo cover mount. Neither will cope with the load and forces for very long...
I looked a while back for a mounting adaptor for the rails and found nothing. I've had another search and come up with a place in germany that makes them to suit the VW. I'll be able to use a couple of these to mount something that looks respectable in the back of the van.

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. and thank GOD for google translate.

*thad*

Likes Bikes
the moto market has wheel "clamps" that are made for this situation. you roll the bike in to the clamp, it shuts then put a tie down to hold the other end. works a treat however im waiting to see my mates van with these fitted to see if i can adapt/replicate for a mtb wheel.

crazyjose

Likes Dirt
Bike transport

I had a Vito (which I regret selling) but I had a two seater rear seat and I was able to fit in the delta bike rack that can carry up to three bikes and you simply wind out the end to lock it into the rear cabin. you take out the front wheel and put the forks into the rack. it worked well, on bike beside the seats and one in-between.