Bike Wish list

Bikes are rad but ...

• I only need 1

• in the spirit of the Yes vote ... my partner owns my balls so I only have 1 nut and 1 bike

• Frack the 1 ... n+n

• I dream of having an office wall with every frame I've ever owned hung up on it sitting behind me

• I <3 Poll

Results are only viewable after voting.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yeah, it's not because it's from Germany though; comes down to 8712.00.00 of the Tariff advice shows that Bicycles incur a 5% duty rate. GST will come on top of that (and here's hoping they calculate it properly and separately, and not breaking the law by taxing a tax).
I'm expecting another +15% on total bike cost, and I'll argue if they calculate the postage cost into it (because it's SIGNIFICANT money).
Starting to look plausible for a trip to the factory to collect.

Z

Zaf

Starting to look plausible for a trip to the factory to collect.
You'll pay the 19% VAT and then unless you own it for 12months prior, you'll get 5% duty when you bring it back into country.
That said, €400 in postage and associated insurance is a fair bit of wiggle room to play with alone, and then. I think you just need to get to a point where there's nothing else you actually want...at which point you just don't look at some of these figures, because it's secondary.

If you want a Nicolai, you've got to be IN the market for a Nicolai; gearbox Nicolai is just another story again.
The classic question:

If I had to have ONLY ONE bike, what would it be?
For me, my head flicked back right away to the Nicolai ION G16 GPI that I was eyeing off two years ago, and got quotes for...just wanted a 29er. I'll save the rest of that story for PYR, but that's the aim when I bought it, this is my "grab it if the house is on fire" item.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@Zaf there is also the brokers fee that comes for handling your gst and duty. It's a total cunt and your chances of arguing about it are slim as you don't (usually) get to deal directly with the customs department, just the impatient courier.

Z

Zaf

@Zaf there is also the brokers fee that comes for handling your gst and duty. It's a total cunt and your chances of arguing about it are slim as you don't (usually) get to deal directly with the customs department, just the impatient courier.
You pay it to get your item, then you petition the office afterwards.
Usually when you mention that you have been "taxed on a tax" they start to sweat a little, it doesn't piss the broker off, Ombudsman is on your side. Angle for the refund, not the immediate fix.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
You'll pay the 19% VAT and then unless you own it for 12months prior, you'll get 5% duty when you bring it back into country.
That said, €400 in postage and associated insurance is a fair bit of wiggle room to play with alone, and then. I think you just need to get to a point where there's nothing else you actually want...at which point you just don't look at some of these figures, because it's secondary.

If you want a Nicolai, you've got to be IN the market for a Nicolai; gearbox Nicolai is just another story again.
The classic question:

If I had to have ONLY ONE bike, what would it be?
For me, my head flicked back right away to the Nicolai ION G16 GPI that I was eyeing off two years ago, and got quotes for...just wanted a 29er. I'll save the rest of that story for PYR, but that's the aim when I bought it, this is my "grab it if the house is on fire" item.
Obviously you've spent a lot of time down this path pondering already. To the novice their are many options, to the expert just one.

I hope your significant other doesn't need saving in this house fire

Very theoretical this "if I had to have one bike" question.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Shit hey?! It looks so refined.
In any case EightyOneSpices haven't emailed back about it yet. I was asking fairly comprehensively about it though.

Anyway, there's a rumour that EXT have something new in the works for the MTB market this year. Maybe I hold and see what that ends up being.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk
Ext fork? I'm listening.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You pay it to get your item, then you petition the office afterwards.
Usually when you mention that you have been "taxed on a tax" they start to sweat a little, it doesn't piss the broker off, Ombudsman is on your side. Angle for the refund, not the immediate fix.
Is that how you have done it in the past?

I've only had to pay duty once. The broker (who was just the megacorp courier) was impatient and rude etc because they wanted their money. But they were also non-response and lazy. It was frustrating but no tax on tax as you fear.

Z

Zaf

Ext fork? I'm listening.
Yeah, wouldn't that be cool!?
I'm still thinking of that Intend BC Edge though, not to mention Cornelius has been great to deal with and absolute champ of a guy with some of his business practices. It's a lot of money, but it'd go to a good place.

Is that how you have done it in the past?

I've only had to pay duty once. The broker (who was just the megacorp courier) was impatient and rude etc because they wanted their money. But they were also non-response and lazy. It was frustrating but no tax on tax as you fear.
When I bought my SB66C they taxed the tax and the postage, tried arguing at first, just got the bike quickly in the end and dealt with it later. It's not a hard calculation, it's a paid job they're doing, they can get it right or deal with an Ombudsman and be reminded why it's better to just get it right.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
I'm still thinking of that Intend BC Edge though, not to mention Cornelius has been great to deal with and absolute champ of a guy with some of his business practices. It's a lot of money, but it'd go to a good place.

When I bought my SB66C they taxed the tax and the postage, tried arguing at first, just got the bike quickly in the end and dealt with it later. It's not a hard calculation, it's a paid job they're doing, they can get it right or deal with an Ombudsman and be reminded why it's better to just get it right.
Intend is all well and good, I'm just nervous around his lack of warranty information around the fork, maybe he has updated it though.. I am interested in his cranks and stem too. It'll be between Ingrid and them.

Reactions: Zaf

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Holy shit you have some rich taste in bike parts. You've literally gone from the most mainstream of mainstream in a Trek and a Specialized to the far edge of boutique.

I'm planning to do a bit of an experiment over the next year to see how much of a difference there is between most of the mainstream long travel single crown forks (fox36, DVO Diamond, Pike, Mattoc Pro irt, Xfusion vengeance hlr) and a fully tricked out Yari with Avalanche cartridge and SD components dvc. Naturally I expect the tricked out Yari to perform the best, but I'm interested to see how much better it is compared to the Xfusion which only set me back ~$300 and the Mattoc Pro which set me back $400 plus $80 for the irt kit. If you do get the Edge it would be good to meet up and do some kind of Rotorburn comparo.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Z

Zaf

Holy shit you have some rich taste in bike parts. You've literally gone from the most mainstream of mainstream in a Trek and a Specialized to the far edge of boutique.

I'm planning to do a bit of an experiment over the next year to see how much of a difference there is between most of the mainstream long travel single crown forks (fox36, DVO Diamond, Pike, Mattoc Pro irt, Xfusion vengeance hlr) and a fully tricked out Yari with Avalanche cartridge and SD components dvc. Naturally I expect the tricked out Yari to perform the best, but I'm interested to see how much better it is compared to the Xfusion which only set me back ~$300 and the Mattoc Pro which set me back $400 plus $80 for the irt kit. If you do get the Edge it would be good to meet up and do some kind of Rotorburn comparo.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
I'll be moving down to Newcastle at the end of the year. Also can throw the Durolux with CRConception custom damper into the mix as well!

Yeah, pretty mainstream bike choices. First bike was a Merida Matts TFS, then when I started MTB'ing (2012) I got a Fuel EX 9, then a Superfly, Yeti SB66, Yeti SB66c, Honzo, Honzo Ti, Stumpy 2014, then the warranty to Stumpy 2016, SB5, Slash, and finally the Nicolai.
None of these bikes have been cheap, and there is a lot to love about each of them.

I've had an interest in Nicolai for about two years, but just didn't go for it at the time. I think I've learned a lot since then, probably wouldn't have been the right time. The past three-four years have been really big for my riding skill improvement and just riding more and with faster and better riders than me; the guys that make you hit shit you otherwise wouldn't.

The G15 is kind of the culmination of the bikes I have enjoyed over those years.

Last edited by a moderator:

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My current fleet covers a fair few categories. I’d upgrade each to a premium model if funds allowed, but for now:
Remedy
Flat bar disc roadie commuter
Old school steel fixie
Vintage trek y-11 (my first ‘proper bike’) covered to SS
Big W fatty for beach holidays and cruising
Need to assemble vintage rigid MTB for camping/pub/shopping duties.
Dragster

Reactions: Zaf

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Vintage trek y-11 (my first ‘proper bike’) covered to SS
Big W fatty for beach holidays and cruising
We seem to have more in common than we realise......

Clearing that shed out today and realised all I'm missing to get it rolling again is a rear shock.

It was my first custom build

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We seem to have more in common than we realise......

Clearing that shed out today and realised all I'm missing to get it rolling again is a rear shock.

It was my first custom build
Love it. Def needs to be ridden. Mine’s a light duties bike now. 1st generation frame that was renowned for the shock mount failing.

Got a dragster too?