Bikepacking

droctagon

Likes Dirt
Rear rack for Karate Monkey??

Am i offending the Green ginger wine mob by posting here? this kind of separatism could divide the bikepacking community....all seven of them ;)
So when i am looking at fitting a bike rack to my K Monkey, what issues will i encounter exactly? Does anyone have any racktastic suggestions? I will be using it for commuting, as well as future plans for fully loaded touring.
I like the look and price of the stock standard Topeak Super Tourist (Disc version), Its definately the right price but are they worthy?
Do i need customised fixtures for the KM?
Any help would be much appreciated.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Am i offending the Green ginger wine mob by posting here? this kind of separatism could divide the bikepacking community....all seven of them ;)
So when i am looking at fitting a bike rack to my K Monkey, what issues will i encounter exactly? Does anyone have any racktastic suggestions? I will be using it for commuting, as well as future plans for fully loaded touring.
I like the look and price of the stock standard Topeak Super Tourist (Disc version), Its definately the right price but are they worthy?
you'll need an adapter of some sort to mount the rack up at the seat tube. You can get seatpost clamps with rack mounts integrated - Electra make them. They're a good option. Otherwise, some strapping, beer, electrical tape and rack bolts can normally get you going as well.

The Topeak is a great rack.

- Joel

nexusfish

El Mariachi
Gday mate,
i used the topeak super touring disk rack on a 4000km ride through asia and it handled it no worries. but i would not go any further than that as my panniers were starting to wear through the aluminium tubing in places where the pannier clips attached.
i bumped into some germans who had ridden 20000km with some 9mm steel tube racks and were carring up to 60kgs at times, aside from a little rust, they looked brand new.

droctagon

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info guys, appreciated.
I think i'll check out a few different mounting options first. I know theres a few mentions of 'old man mountain' racks on different sites, but a little pricey.
more research needed me thinks???

DaGonz

Eats Squid
So, I've just completed my wee trip from Canberra to Newcastle. I wanted to do this partly for the challenge & holiday, and partly as a bit of a litmus test to see if I could potentially cut the mustard before spending big wads of cash to get my self across the pond to do TDR in 2012

I'll do a full write up on my blog shortly but basically I followed the BNT for a little bit before cutting through Wollemi National Park (wilderness) then on to the coast. Change my route a little on the last day because rain had meant masses of mud through the watagans and I thought I'd already trudged through enough for a "tour"

Garmin Plots here:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47443495
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47443481
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47443461
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47443449
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47443425
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47443412
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/47443403

And a couple tast tasty treat photos (just the tasty ones are on my facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=198541&id=678211757&l=b3a0032133)

Personally I think Australians as a whole undervalue how beautiful some parts of our country are, and we don't need to venture off over seas to see epic landscapes but anyway...

more to come ;) I'm still psyched out over how increadible it all was!!

Cheers
Spoonie

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Well done spoonie! How did that weight weenie sleeping bag go in snow country? Warm enough?
Are you still in Newie or are you home now?

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Well done spoonie! How did that weight weenie sleeping bag go in snow country? Warm enough?
Are you still in Newie or are you home now?
home now.

yeah sleeping bag was fine. One night I slept with my thermal, down vest on, and hoodie up but another night I was trying to figure out how to cool down without sleeping outside the bag! (which was too cold) In fact most of my gear worked ok lots of tweaks though I think, like getting a proper handelbar bag from carousel.

The tent proved a pain in the arse. Most nights I was able to find shelter outside the tent if I had a bivvy or tarp but finding a 2x2m space to put up the megalight wasn't as easy (or flexible) all the time.

Having to recharge the garmin every night was also annoying, and in fact got a bit wiggy at one point telling me it was 100% charged when it wasn't. I'll take a manual compass next time and probably get a cat eye enduro going again or similar where battery charging is less of an issue. Depending on temperature as it turned out and what it's level was, it took anywhere between 2 and 6 AA batteries to recharge my Edge 500. I worked out it didn't like the cold and took to putting the garmin + battery extender in my vest pocket at camp.

seems my spot didn't work so well when I was on the aero bars, and in thick trees among other things judging by the spot pages so might have to find a better place to put it than on my shoulder strap.

anyway... I'm sure I'll think of lots of things when I jot it all down properly...

Cheers
Spoonie

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
Having to recharge the garmin every night was also annoying
I have been thinking about this for some time when I can actually afford a Garmin. I am thinking that a Dyno Hub might be a neat solution. You can use the Dyno hub to charge some Nimh batteries as you ride during the day which you can then use to charge your Garmin as you sleep. You can also use the Dyno Hub to run lights if needed.

I will probably start playing with this next year once the whole '24 worlds' shenanigans is over.

ebuk

Likes Dirt
I have been thinking about this for some time when I can actually afford a Garmin. I am thinking that a Dyno Hub might be a neat solution. You can use the Dyno hub to charge some Nimh batteries as you ride during the day which you can then use to charge your Garmin as you sleep. You can also use the Dyno Hub to run lights if needed.

I will probably start playing with this next year once the whole '24 worlds' shenanigans is over.
Interesting solution with the added benefit of using a dyno light instead of ayups etc

mcdoned

Likes Dirt
Yeah, having seen how well hub dynamos work, seems like a good way to go - they drag heaps less than the average disk brake! The best seem to be Schmidt hubs - but I think Shimano and Sturmey make some cheaper ones too.

My only concern with hub dynamos would be creek crossings etc. Guess you have to man up and carry the bike across.

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
My only concern with hub dynamos would be creek crossings etc. Guess you have to man up and carry the bike across.
I hadn't thought about that at all...... I assume they are sealed units, the question is... how well?

I have a local dynamo hub guru who is itching to get me hooked on dynamo goodness and has access to some cheap but high quality hubs. They are no schmidt Son, but he is pretty impressed by them which is good enough for me. One day I will succumb.

Ash C

Cannon Fodder
Succumb to the power that is Kerry, I know i have been very very close to at times.

Mate of mine is doing the complete BNT next year and is seriously considering the dyno option, custom built from the local guru of course.

4 years ago his dyno was blowing most light systems out of the water at a 12 hours of darkness at Killi.....and he was riding 29 if thats of interest.

Slightly ahead of the curve??????

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
I dunno if they'd keep a garmin charged, but there are things you can get that have a little magnet inside, they rattle as you walk, and your movement is enough to keep them charged. They keep an iPod charged. Forget the brand though.