Bikepacking

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any recommendations as to a map strategy? I have been looking at an overnighter through St Albans north of sydney, but it seems like I would need 3-4 maps (at ~$10 each) minimum for a one night trip. I imagine that a longer trip would require a lot more maps.

So are people purchasing $100-200 worth of maps for the multi day trips or are there better options? I know that the BNT has a book/guide which would largely do away with the need for the maps.

Are GPS units an option? I have had a bit of a look and the ones with full topo maps seem quite expensive, and I would expect the ones which only give references would still require some mapping.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Can anyone recommend any one-nighters in the blue mountains area? Also where I can get a hold of one of the BNT guidebook??? Sorry if I seem annoyingly naive
Depends on the length. I'd say have a look at the six foot track and plan from there though. Plenty of options west of mt Vic and around Lithgow. BNT guidebooks can be bough via the BNT Association site

http://www.nationaltrail.com.au/

So are people purchasing $100-200 worth of maps for the multi day trips or are there better options? I know that the BNT has a book/guide which would largely do away with the need for the maps.
the complete digital NSW set is $250. Take your laptop to work and print out what you need at the scale you need on a fancy colour printer ;) One tip I was given was even if you do buy the paper versions, get them colour photocopied so you don't trash your origionals out on the trail.

otherwise yes, you buy lots of maps. GPS can be fine, but having a map spread out in front of you is handy for planning, and having something on paper is handy when your GPS dies/goes flat/whatever...

...unless you have a photographic memory ;)

You can mess around with different scale maps. This can be both good in that you have less maps, and bad in that the larger scale maps often lack timely updates (can anyone say 1960?) and detail which can sometimes be frustratingly important. If you're going through a State Forrest with lots of trails/roads, get the 1:25K's IMHO

Cheers
Spoonie

WildWassa

Banned
Having to purchase maps comes with the territory or without the maps, one is severely hamstrung on the Great Divide.

Here are a few types of maps that can enhance the topos or a GPS.

The new BNT Guide Books are A5 and have a lot of detail. From an overall strip map in each book to detailed coloured topos describing each day's travelling and route. Guide books of the BNT in Victoria are still the old editions ... mudmaps.

The NSW State Forests maps are very good for planning because they give you the big picture of what remains as our public lands in NSW. They show the existing Crown Land separate to National Parks. Maps are $8- $11.00 each. Long distance travellers still have the right to roadside camp on Crown Land, Australia wide, not just in those road-side rest areas. NSW Forestry Maps cover 16 forestry regions.

NSW State Forest maps from the Qld Border to the Barrington Tops and Alice the cat.

Crown Land is easily found being yellow. The Travelling Stock Routes are the ribbons of yellow.

The TSRs both Routes and the Reserves are shown in purple in the BNT Guide Books.

The unformed roads on the TSRs are some of the best off-road MTB'ing going. Mountain bikers are not excluded from TSRs. If a TSR is in a National Park Wilderness region, riders have the right to be on them.

NSW Dept of Primary Industry also sells a weighty master work called the 'Long Paddock, A directory of Travelling Stock Routes and Reserves in NSW'. The reserves are numbered region by region and the extant stock route are lined in green. The atlas/directory is $38.00 before postage. Postage is about $10.

In all Livestock Health and Pest Authority regions (LHPA) in NSW except for the Northern Rivers LHPA Region, camping on the TSRs is free to touring cyclists. In the Northern Rivers LHPA Region it is now $25 a day to camp, unfortunately. That means there are about 3,500 camping sites that are rarely used or even known about except by graziers and drovers.

Every TSR (both Routes and Reserves) is listed and numbered and their water availability and source is given. Whether the water is from rivers, streams, dams, bores, mills, troughs and hand pumps or when there's no reliable water at all. If you can afford a quality water filter, like one in the MSR filter range or a Steripen (certaily not my choice after several reports about failures), water is more available than one first thinks.

The National Library of Oz has a digital map collection of historic maps, if you like old coach roads.

Warren.

PS, there are 65 x 1:25,000 topos that cover the BNT in NSW, making the electronic map package 'Memory Map' most affordable just for the BNT.

Last edited:

WildWassa

Banned
A shot of a bone-dry Lake George from the BNT. Shot taken from the Lake George Escarpment before the spring rains came.

Warren.

Last edited:

struggles

Likes Dirt
You guys have me got me keen to do some touring now.

Will have to pack a bit lighter than my previous 2 wheeled touring though:)

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wow, great detail on the variety of mapwork and camping options available Wildwassa. Thanks.

And Struggles, that kind of touring is in my mind for a few years time, once I can save some more and convince the minister of finance of the need for a moto.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
And Struggles, that kind of touring is in my mind for a few years time, once I can save some more and convince the minister of finance of the need for a moto.
yeah I agree...

Not to sidetrack the thread at all, but I have a couple of mates with DRZ400's tricked up for long distance stuff. Some of the stuff they've done (crossing the simpson dessert in a day) is epic, and in much the same vein as why I like the MTB stuff...

...another world, another set of opportunities!

Plus it makes for scoping routes for the mountain bikes much easier I'd reckon ;)

Cheers
Spoonie

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Already got a few logged on the GPS that I am keen to do on the pushie.
yeah... I should get my learners at least and give it a crack. I really want to spend some time around Lithgow/Sunny corner. I could do it on the mountain bike over a lot of weekends or on a moto in less....

Only really helps in State Forest though given lack of access through national parks.

Cheers
Spoonie

schwing

Likes Dirt
possible multi dayer or cut into bits overnighters

following on a suggestion for a route from Ourimbah and inspired by spoonie- I started looking for trails. Now it may be a bit boring for some and there may be some single track options to be explored. I only have looked via google maps so far but think I may have a route sorted from Cessnock to Woy Woy. It's not complete I know, but feel there is some possibilities here.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?client=firefox-a&hl=en&mid=1295582109

link doesn't seem to work for me on testing so sorry - basically cessnock head south thru heaton/ awaba state forests to watagans and olney (perhaps a diversion thru lemontree). Ourimbah and then Wyong OR, an option to hook up to moonee moonee creek as per http://nobmob.com/node/827/map, then onto Woy Woy via Brisbane Water national park.

Last edited:

QZ13

Likes Dirt
Hey schwing

Are you asking for info or telling us about what you've found.

spoons routes need a TT bike if that's what you're after.

pi11wizard should have some files of stuff that will blow your hair back in other ways or pm me and we may be able to sort a guided tour

schwing

Likes Dirt
just trying to contribute what I've found - and am hoping to do by the end of March - I think my bike would be suitable. To me . TT means time trial - what does TT mean in this case?

It would make way more sense if the dam link would work.

( sorry an old bloke here still struggling with IMHO and LOL a little)

QZ13

Likes Dirt
TT means time trial - what does TT mean in this case?
That's it, Spoon is president of the aero bar fancier union & co. ;)

If that's what floats your boat, happy days, but if you want something a little more exciting than fire trail, just yell out.

schwing

Likes Dirt
will be yelling out once out of the dog house with the powers that she..... er....be.

unfotunately hard to line up than a 3/4 day out at the moment, so am living somewhat vicariously thru these forums. Head down and ass up with work and renos and the leash shall be lengthened!

(my wifes ace really, we're all a little time poor)

DaGonz

Eats Squid
It would make way more sense if the dam link would work.
Use bikemap.net

That's it, Spoon is president of the aero bar fancier union & co. ;)

If that's what floats your boat, happy days, but if you want something a little more exciting than fire trail, just yell out.
I think 13's being unfair to me here ;) but yeah that route through the watagans (or at least the route I had planned till it rained like the 2nd coming) was pretty, but really just satsifying my goal of "as much dirt as possible" based on what maps I had. Quite litterally reasonably groomed fire and dirt roads.

13 & pillwizard are locals and I think have an unfair advantage. I'm hoping I can get up there with them (and/or others) and get something more interesting but still mappable/shareable without concern for land management issues. I'm not sure all 13's routes, while I'm sure are seriously tops, fit that :/

Cheers
Spoonie

QZ13

Likes Dirt
The routes are fine Spoon.

The only reason I don't advertise them is I don't have the technology and quite honestly I don't want the technology.

ebuk's Spot done a good job of tracking us on the last Pie Eater but there is no way you could use the data to follow our exact route. pi11wizards gps has been on a couple of times too, but it looks as though that wouldn't get you down the route precisely either.

so *shrug*

you kids just have to come up here, ride your bikes and take some notes