Bikes insured with RACV Contents

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
So it turns out I've been riding a completely uninsured bike for the last three weeks.

Since mid 2015 I've (supposedly) had my road bike insured as an away from home item listed on our contents insurance. No problems there.

Fast forward to last month when I added my shiny new hardtail to the cover.

Skip forward again to today and ring RACV to find out why they haven't deducted the premium to be the told the policy has been Null and void for three weeks and subsequently cancelled as I have failed to provide a valuation certificate for either bike.

So not only are my bikes not covered, the ENTIRE CONTENTS of my house has been at risk too.

At no time either over the phone with the first bike, or in person with the second, or in any correspondence whatsoever, has there been any mention of needing a valuation certificate.

If you are using RACV please check the fine print.

safreek

Sound like a pack of cundz, I hear Suncorp is good with bikes. Don't know if it is fact though.
Any company that will cancel your whole h&c insurance over a bike arnt worth doing business with anyway.
Good luck in your search for a real insurance company

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
YOUI are good. No need to specify on accidental damage or loss portable cover for individual items up to $15K

teK--

Eats Squid
Cycle Cover Gold I found provided the best cover and with the least amount of onerous conditions for bikes. e.g. you can leave it out the front of the milkbar unlocked and they will cover you if stolen. Also covers damage whilst in use for when you case that 20 footer even if you're in a race. Must be on same policy as a home contents policy though.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Cycle Cover Gold I found provided the best cover and with the least amount of onerous conditions for bikes. e.g. you can leave it out the front of the milkbar unlocked and they will cover you if stolen. Also covers damage whilst in use for when you case that 20 footer even if you're in a race. Must be on same policy as a home contents policy though.
I've gone with these guys the last few years for contents insurance + my bikes.... do be aware though that their underwriter changed their conditions a year ago... now the minimum excess on each claim is $1000 *per bike*.

teK--

Eats Squid
I've gone with these guys the last few years for contents insurance + my bikes.... do be aware though that their underwriter changed their conditions a year ago... now the minimum excess on each claim is $1000 *per bike*.
I asked CCG earlier and they said $1000 per bicycle claim. That amount doesn't seem cumulative.:

"We advise that your insurer, CGU, have increased their basic excess across their portfolio. As a result, the basic excess on your policy has increased from $500 to $550. In addition, we advise that from the abovementioned renewal date there will also be an imposed excess of $1,000 for each and every bicycle claim and not as listed elsewhere on the schedule."

And

"In relation to the excess, any claim that involves a bike would have a $1,000 excess so in the event of a fire which destroyed some of your contents that includes a bike $1,000 is payable if it doesn’t include a bike then it would be $550"

safreek

I asked CCG earlier and they said $1000 per bicycle claim. That amount doesn't seem cumulative.:

"We advise that your insurer, CGU, have increased their basic excess across their portfolio. As a result, the basic excess on your policy has increased from $500 to $550. In addition, we advise that from the abovementioned renewal date there will also be an imposed excess of $1,000 for each and every bicycle claim and not as listed elsewhere on the schedule."

And

"In relation to the excess, any claim that involves a bike would have a $1,000 excess so in the event of a fire which destroyed some of your contents that includes a bike $1,000 is payable if it doesn’t include a bike then it would be $550"
More thieves

kbekus

Likes Dirt
hrm, thanks teK--... I'm still suspicious and would like clarification on their wording... if indeed a fire that consumed all your bikes was a single claim then a single $1000 excess I could live with.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
I looked at Youi for full comprehensive car insurance and they were bloody expensive.
Probably depends on where you are. For me they were more competitive than the rest, when you factored in you didn't need RACQ roadside assist anymore. When you have house and car with them it gets cheaper too.