BikeYoke Revive reduce travel?

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Just wondering if anyone has done it and can shed a light so as to whether it works (well or not)?

Been scrolling through mtbr forum and this guy seems to have successfully reduced his wife's dropper by 18mm: https://forums.mtbr.com/components/bikeyoke-revive-1033134-5.html#post14059493

Been thinking of doing it myself as i need my existing 160mm BikeYoke to be 10mm shorter to fit my Commencal Meta AM. Shame if I have to sell it as I really like the dropper (better than OneUp).

Then again BikeYoke just released a Divine dropper with adjustable travel done via 5mm spacers (https://www.pinkbike.com/news/new-f...troke-dropper-post-and-suspension-saddle.html). I wonder if the spacer will work for Revive?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I could print up a spacer if you let me know the dimensions you want. I've got a Revive myself that I'd like to reduce 5mm but haven't had time to open up the post and confirm the dimensions yet.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I could print up a spacer if you let me know the dimensions you want. I've got a Revive myself that I'd like to reduce 5mm but haven't had time to open up the post and confirm the dimensions yet.
Thanks mate. I think the rod diameter is 8mm, but that’s just according to internet posts. I’ll open up the post when life is less busy in the coming weeks and let u know. Pretty sure u can print the same spacer for yourself.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
That's what I was thinking but I'm also being a bit lazy. My post is currently in use and I've just been manually moving it to around the right pedalling height each time because I didn't want to take it off, measure it, put it back on, print the spacer and then disassemble and reassemble it again. If you've got a post that's not in use and can confirm the ID and OD I can print one and test it on mine before I print one for you and it will save a bit of double handling.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I haven't got a post that is not in use unfortunately. Thus I've done the laziest yet acceptable way of obtaining the ID and OD by emailing the bikeyoke folks. They're really no bullshit secretive company (love this) and shared the following measurement:

Your spacer would need to have an inner diameter of 8mm and an outer diameter of not more than 10.5mm, because oil needs to pass between the spacer OD and the inner tube ID.
Also, the link that @Oddjob put up said
My quick measures seem to tell me that a spacer with an 10.75mm OD, 8.05mm ID, and a length of the desired change should work perfectly fine
Sounds like the spacer ID=8mm OD=10.5mm should suffice.

Last edited:

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I'll give it a shot but those dimensions will result in a wall thickness of 1.25mm which is close to the minimum for my printer so it might be tricky to get it right.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
might worth a trip to bunnings to see if there's alloy rod that fit the spec? regardless let me know how u go.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
actually, i found an alloy rod lying around at home with ~10mm OD and ~7.7mm ID (give or take as vernier caliper is not 100% accurate). I can try it and if it works cut few mm off and send it to u @cokeonspecialtwodollars if u want?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
First couple of prototypes need some fine tuning on tolerance but aside from that it looks good. My post is probably due a service anyway so will strip it down next week and try out the printed spacer.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
Had some spare time this arvo and decided to work on the dropper.
I happen to have an alloy tube with 8mm ID and 10mm OD (yes by chance). Bought it from Bunnings for some other project.
Cut 12mm of it to use as a spacer.

Well, it works. My dropper is now 148mm (of the original 160mm).

The biggest challenge were:
  1. Making sure the spacer fit snugly. The original tube has to be cut vertically at one side so it can be slid down the shaft without scratching it
  2. Finding something to open up the spacer while sliding it down.
  3. Putting the piston back in without spilling too much oil. Well u need to insert the inner rod in and press it down while installing the piston back in
My advice is to consult the bike yoke video on how to service the lower to first expose the shaft where u install the spacer, then the cartridge service video to undo the shaft and reinstall it.

Some photos attached.

Attachments

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
I recently found a puddle of oil on the ground underneath the BB of my bike the day after a ride and logically the only things that it could be from were the rear shock or dropper post. A visual inspection of the shock didn't show anything untoward, so I swapped out the post until I had time to inspect it.

Stripped the post today and found that the threaded part that holds the internal piston assembly together had unwound itself past the sealing o-ring, it's unlikely that my 3D printed spacer was the cause however I did also find that it had pretty much been crushed into oblivion. I've printed a new spacer from a stronger carbon fibre material and will see how that goes however I suspect I'll be in the market for some Bunnings aluminium tube in the near future.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I recently found a puddle of oil on the ground underneath the BB of my bike the day after a ride and logically the only things that it could be from were the rear shock or dropper post. A visual inspection of the shock didn't show anything untoward, so I swapped out the post until I had time to inspect it.

Stripped the post today and found that the threaded part that holds the internal piston assembly together had unwound itself past the sealing o-ring, it's unlikely that my 3D printed spacer was the cause however I did also find that it had pretty much been crushed into oblivion. I've printed a new spacer from a stronger carbon fibre material and will see how that goes however I suspect I'll be in the market for some Bunnings aluminium tube in the near future.
Do u think the oil caused the spacer to disintegrate? How long have the spacer been in there?