Birthday suprise for the young bloke

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Finally built up a bike for my son. He’s been riding my daughter’s bike for the last few months and as of tomorrow he’ll have a new bike for his birthday... I purchased the frame off Plankosaurus and then stripped the blue paint off it, prepped it, etched it, primed it and painted it. I was pleasantly surprised as the paint came up way better than I expected. With 27.5 wheels its a little on the big side though he's growing pretty quickly..

The spec is prety high for a 9yr old as I'm still thinking of building up a DH/long travel bike for myself...

Frame - Small GT Chucker 2 (thanks Plankosaurus)
Rear shock - N/A
Front shock/fork - RS Sid xloc
Handlebars - Brand X 720mm 25mm riser (Will likely cut down to 680mm)
Stem - Brand X 40mm
Headset - Ride (thanks Plankosaurus)
Grips - Hope
Saddle - WTB
Seatpost - Black one
Front brake - M820 (180mm rotor)
Rear brake - M820 (180mm rotor)
Cranks - M820 with Hope 32T ring
Chainguide - N/A
Chain - HG 10sp
Pedals - DMR plastic ones
Front derailleur - N/A
Rear derailleur - M820 (Wide range adapter)
Front shifter - N/A
Rear shifter - M820
Cassette - Shimano 11-34
Front hub - Cheap wheel I had laying around
Rear hub - Merida cheapy (thanks Labcanary)
Front rim - As per hubs (was planning to remove the stickers though my son thinks it looks like a race car with the weird stickers...)
Rear rim - As per hubs
Spokes - A few

Nipples - A few
Tyres - Maxxis Crossmark and Merida (better tyres going on soon)
Tubes - As per hubs
Total weight - Haven’t weighed it...

Attachments

Last edited:

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Holy crap that came up good!

Nice one, never thought the old gt would get a new lease on life like that.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
You and @moorey can fight it out for "Dad of the Year" honours but that is awesome.

How tall is your 9 y/o? We gave Mr 8 (137ish cm) a 24" bike at Xmas and it's big for him.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
You and @moorey can fight it out for "Dad of the Year" honours but that is awesome.

How tall is your 9 y/o? We gave Mr 8 (137ish cm) a 24" bike at Xmas and it's big for him.
He's just over 150cm tall. This frame with 26" wheels is great. With 27.5 wheels it's a touch too big though once riding it's a perfect length. If he has to stop suddenly and forgets to lay the bike down, on an angle, he'll likely feel it:) I originally bought some 24" rims and was building them up but it all went pear shaped and when he jumped on his sisters 26er, it fit beautifully so there was no need for the 24" wheel building headache:)

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
He's pretty tall for his age then, with my wee fella it's a confidence thing and he also needs to do a slight lean when coming to a compete stop but it's 24+ so probably bigger than a normal 24" I reckon we'll skip 26".

Well done on that build and enjoy riding with Jr.