Black Dogs and mental shit in general

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Newy. BB. Same same.
Pretty much identical! Between the pollution pouring down stream from the hunter valley and local industry, the constant dredging, the heavy ship traffic, commercial over fishing, and recreational over fishing...the fishing here is great. A good healthy waterway free of the pressures of man!

Years later I'm pretty sure the riding around Byron isn't for me any way.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Don't over think it man. Nepotism is one of the defining features of the public service, especially in places like Hobart (and Newcastle) where the workforce is very static. Opportunities like these are highly sought after and there's always conga line of suckholes waiting. New blood is rarely brought in for more than insignificant non ongoing positions, and its to the detriment of all Australians. Factor in that this role sounds like a fucking exciting one and you'd need to have the prime minister as a referee to get a look in.

i once dreamt of moving to Byron bay, being a public servant, and spending all my spare time land based game fishing. A perfect job opportunity came up in the court system there and I called the contact officer to discuss. I could tell I was pushing shit uphill from the moment we started talking, he just gave no fucks about me getting the job...until I told him my last name. It turned out he had worked with my father a long time ago and felt that he owed my father a favour and emphatically encouraged me to apply, giving me lots of useful application info and so on. Anyway pussy is one hell of a drug and I never did get that application in. I guess I'll always wonder what it would have been like to live on byron bay.

thats the kind of poor decision making that your up against. It isn't a moving target either. There just isn't a target.
Yep... I actually worked there for 6 months about 10 years ago now, a temp gig covering someone who was down south for 6 months.

They were all super nice, and it wasn’t anything they specifically said - but it was made super clear that I was temporary and getting comfortable was not a good idea. Was a bit rough seeing the fresh out of uni grad helped to apply for jobs while I wasn’t, but I’ve since seen that grads are a protected species in the APS so don’t take that personally (killing off grad programs would be the single best thing you could do for the public service...).

I did get to live in Hobart for a while, it’s when I decided it was home and that’s not changed since. I’ll find something down there eventually.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
You’d have to deal with the yuppiest of yuppies in byron though.
I know that now, but I also dot think many of those quality people are into huddling on a tiny rock shelf for days on end pretending they are going to catch a really big fish.

And he hippies too. Not sure which is worse? Both suck balls pretty hard.

(killing off grad programs would be the single best thing you could do for the public service...)
I disagree about that. They have been a good way to bring fresh and educated minds into the public service. Unfortunately they just reinforce and etrench nepotism. From my experience it is a year of teaching the importance of networking and building those networks, rather than building workplace skills and diversity.

moorey

call me Mia
Also, well done on seeing a professional who actually cares (not always present I've found in many cases).
Reckon it helps if you’ve got a long standing relationship with your doc, which is pretty rare these days.
I’ve had mine for over 20 years, he remembers everything about me, and touches base on past issues that I’m not even there to see him about.
On the rare times I couldn’t get to see him and had to roll the dice at one of the mega medical centers, I left wondering why I bothered. Can’t imagine trying to get a proper diagnosis and support from them.

Haakon

I know that now, but I also dot think many of those quality people are into huddling on a tiny rock shelf for days on end pretending they are going to catch a really big fish.

And he hippies too. Not sure which is worse? Both suck balls pretty hard.

I disagree about that. They have been a good way to bring fresh and educated minds into the public service. Unfortunately they just reinforce and etrench nepotism. From my experience it is a year of teaching the importance of networking and building those networks, rather than building workplace skills and diversity.
You can bring in fresh and educated minds with skills and experience and not have to spend a year training them. And by hiring for the skills needed for the actual job instead of a thousand interchangeable drones, you get actual knowledge bases happening that might make it less easy to outsource everything.

Maybe a small grad program like the big corporates, but id still rather see people start at the start like everyone else and work their way up. The perks and advantages and free kicks grads get over and about people with already proven skills and performance is bloody gross and massively detrimental to the quality of the public service.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Has anyone found any useful podcasts for motivation?

I’m on a downward spiral this year due to not being able to ride (or do much else) and could do with something to help get me going.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Has anyone found any useful podcasts for motivation?

I’m on a downward spiral this year due to not being able to ride (or do much else) and could do with something to help get me going.
That really sucks man. This is a bit left field but try out Naval Ravikant. He's a successful entrepreneur that has a really solid outlook on life. Normally I'd rather lick a hot iron than listen to an entrepreneur podcast but there's an interview of him with Joe Rogan where a) Rogan actually shuts up and b) Ravikant just offers some really nice insight on life like don't stress about where you are in life, don't compare yourself to everyone else, recognise where your life is good and embrace that etc. etc. and just does it in a relatable, non-condescending way.

There's heaps of Ravikant interviews out there (one with Tim Ferris that talks more about business crap) but if you like the Rogan interview you'll like his other stuff.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You like a story - as in invented
or an actual ' motivational 'podcast

I find its good to lose yourself in the moment of a story - like riding in the bush but with a different soundtrack

* if you want motivational - listen to some of Richard Fidlers old 'conversations ' - they do a Melbourne version , but thats not the interesting part .
Everyone has a story , not just famous / celebrity / actors types .
So its interesting to sometimes listen to someones story , how did they come to here ? what made them change ? would they change ?

It can also put in perspective that , one /for the most part as a society we are soooooo lucky , walk in someone else's shoes , hug your family and enjoy the small things that make you happy .

My only life advice is , if you are not happy , take /make steps to change , life is short , hard and occasionally heartbreaking . So make the most of good times - there will be downs , but embrace the ups and this will help with the downs .

easy to say , harder to do - i accept this and words on the internet do not make it easier to outrun your black dog , train him and you to see the signs and accept that not every day is treats and sleeps in the park .

ps , i can recommend some good stories to listen to also !

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
That really sucks man. This is a bit left field but try out Naval Ravikant. He's a successful entrepreneur that has a really solid outlook on life. Normally I'd rather lick a hot iron than listen to an entrepreneur podcast but there's an interview of him with Joe Rogan where a) Rogan actually shuts up and b) Ravikant just offers some really nice insight on life like don't stress about where you are in life, don't compare yourself to everyone else, recognise where your life is good and embrace that etc. etc. and just does it in a relatable, non-condescending way.

There's heaps of Ravikant interviews out there (one with Tim Ferris that talks more about business crap) but if you like the Rogan interview you'll like his other stuff.
Sounds good, I’ll check it out. I’ve found the Goggins interviews with Rogan good in the past for motivation, so this is probably up may alley.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
You like a story - as in invented
or an actual ' motivational 'podcast

I find its good to lose yourself in the moment of a story - like riding in the bush but with a different soundtrack

* if you want motivational - listen to some of Richard Fidlers old 'conversations ' - they do a Melbourne version , but thats not the interesting part .
Everyone has a story , not just famous / celebrity / actors types .
So its interesting to sometimes listen to someones story , how did they come to here ? what made them change ? would they change ?

It can also put in perspective that , one /for the most part as a society we are soooooo lucky , walk in someone else's shoes , hug your family and enjoy the small things that make you happy .

My only life advice is , if you are not happy , take /make steps to change , life is short , hard and occasionally heartbreaking . So make the most of good times - there will be downs , but embrace the ups and this will help with the downs .

easy to say , harder to do - i accept this and words on the internet do not make it easier to outrun your black dog , train him and you to see the signs and accept that not every day is treats and sleeps in the park .

ps , i can recommend some good stories to listen to also !
Thanks. Listening to people tell there stories is more what I’m after now that I think about it.

The advice on making changes is exactly what I battle with. Certainly feel trapped by life’s responsibilities at the moment.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks. Listening to people tell there stories is more what I’m after now that I think about it.

The advice on making changes is exactly what I battle with. Certainly feel trapped by life’s responsibilities at the moment.
I like listening to stories to lose myself in another world at times.

Outside podcast often has good stories
Into the Wilderness is another one I enjoy, but that's a little more wildlife orientated

Neither will help you make decisions, but both might let your mind wander from whatever it is that has you/me feeling trapped

Jpez

Down on the left!
I have a Black dog attached to me and it comes and goes on a regular basis. I have a grab bag of learned tools to fall back on to get me through it and also to get out of it. But it always seems to come back regardless.
But one thing I’ve found that is very useful and simple and can be practiced by anyone regardless of their issues is mindfulness.
I find that when the black dog comes I get very anxious, insular and angry. Ive found just doing specific mindfulness breathing exercises a couple of times a day can really help. It slows down all the noise in my head and brings me back to ground a bit. Bit like a reset.
Easy and worth a try.
Edit. And yoga. Great for the body but also for the mind.

Last edited:

Haakon

Ive found just doing specific mindfulness breathing exercises a couple of times a day can really help. It slows down all the noise in my head and brings me back to ground a bit. Bit like a reset.
I suspect this is why i like the roadie when im feeling like that - its rhythm, of body and breathing and done in a way that forces my mind to focus on it.