Black Screen of Death. Nokia N95.

Smooth King

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all.
Well iv been Googling and Searching about ways to fix my Nokia N95 8gb that suddenly stopped working the other day.
I was out riding yesterday (as stupid as it sounds dew to the rain) and had my phone put in my bag.
I pulled it out late afternoon at home to check it and noticed my phone had turned off.
Now the weird thing is it still works. Sound, lights but the Screen stays black completely. There could possibly be moisture in the screen but iv left it out to dry and even tried the 'Dry Rice' trick to dry it out.
Iv heard this 'Black Screen Of Death' to do with N95's but hoping thats not the case..
Has anyone got any idea's or has had this problem before ?
Any tips or straight up answers would be sweet.

Thanks.
Calo

mountain_bike man

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had this problem with mine a few months ago. Luckily it was covered by warranty and took around 2 weeks for it to get fixed. Worked for a while after that but ended up lagging constantly and developing allot of other problems. Moved on and got the e71, couldnt be happier.
Hopefully yours is still within warranty.

murrum

Banned
Same problem, different phone. 0.5hr in the freeezer, and she was back in action.
Occasionally the screen would work when battery was nicely charged and it was cold. So I put 2 and 2 together.
Still doesnt work all the time - but a trip to the freezer gets her going again.

Smooth King

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Same problem, different phone. 0.5hr in the freeezer, and she was back in action.
Occasionally the screen would work when battery was nicely charged and it was cold. So I put 2 and 2 together.
Still doesnt work all the time - but a trip to the freezer gets her going again.
Yeh it was my Brothers. Under 3* Cap so should still have warrenty..
I'll try the Freezer idea. Hopefully it works..

Maurice.

Banned
Dude, mega coinidence, happend to my mates phone today at school, has no clue what happend, any advice from this thread would be greatly appreciated.

Joy

Likes Dirt
Ugh, 6 months left to go on my contract for my N95 8g. Hopefully this won't happen...Although I keep getting an error telling me to insert my sim card

Smooth King

Likes Bikes and Dirt
keep in mind that condensation and water damage are not covered by warrenty.
Yeh iv kept that under advisement.
Tried the Freezer thing and hasnt worked yet. Leaving it to dry out for a while...
Not really sure what to do. Need my phone but :mad:

Matt H

Eats Squid
I've heard of this happening. Apparently it can be caused by a wire that connects the screen breaking. Costly to fix if it's out of warranty.

sam705

Likes Dirt
My brothers N95 blacked out, so much you could only faintly see the screen if it was shon into the sun.
It was pretty bet up so he bought an iPhone.

jimmy_22

Likes Dirt
my n95 blcked out completely, they claimed it was moisture damage which means i cant get it fixed under warnty or insurance, flm

J()nny

Likes Bikes
Ugh, 6 months left to go on my contract for my N95 8g. Hopefully this won't happen...Although I keep getting an error telling me to insert my sim card

This has started happening to mine as of about two weeks ago. Tonight when it happened I switched it on and off as per usual and it put the phone into some offline mode, cant msg, make or receive calls etc. Also had an error saying the sim card registration failed. Time for a trip to the Telstra shop I'm thinking.

Joy

Likes Dirt
This has started happening to mine as of about two weeks ago. Tonight when it happened I switched it on and off as per usual and it put the phone into some offline mode, cant msg, make or receive calls etc. Also had an error saying the sim card registration failed. Time for a trip to the Telstra shop I'm thinking.
Seems to be a recurring thing then...

So annoying when I set an early morning alarm and it doesn't go off because the "sim card is disconnected". It doesn't even make a warning beep or anything. Sometimes I won't notice for like an hour

J()nny

Likes Bikes
So annoying when I set an early morning alarm and it doesn't go off...
Yeah that's the worst I know. I'll head into the Telstra shop tomorrow and see what they say. With my luck It'll be totally destroyed and out of warranty haha. I'll let you know how it goes.

Smooth King

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You put it in a ziploc bag first yeah?
Sure did mate..
The moisture slip that is nere the Simcard is still White so hasnt had any water damage. My brother claimed he had it before me and took it back to shop for warrenty.
Ill give it a crack, see if it can be repaired. Also have been told it could be a Virus in a file that has been sent to me. Need to clear the phone, reboot it and try again. As a mate had same problem with this.
See how it goes :cool: