Blackbutt Reserve Shellharbour

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey all, happy NY Have any Wollongong locals ridden Blackbutt reserve recently? Just wondering what the trail conditions are atm. I rode there 12 months ago and it was very overgrown with lantana.

Cheers
C

Ivan

Eats Squid
It is fairly overgrown but rideable Wear a long sleeve jersey to avoid a few cuts.

I ride there on Tuesday.

Last edited:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Ivan,

Have you been to Blackbutt lately? How are the trails looking after all the rain? I imagine the Lantana would be going nuts? Going t o my parents place over Easter and wondering whether to bother taking the bikes.

Cheers
C

Ivan

Eats Squid
Hey Ivan,

Have you been to Blackbutt lately? How are the trails looking after all the rain? I imagine the Lantana would be going nuts? Going t o my parents place over Easter and wondering whether to bother taking the bikes.

Cheers
C

I haven't been on the bike for a while due to a neck injury, but I imagine there will be plenty of lantana, its going nuts everywhere.

The peeps on this facebook group may have better info. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1377799315878068/

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Its still drying but really boggy in a lot of sections . Todays rain won`t help . Some trail maintenance is happening over the weekend .

LPG

likes thicc birds
I'll be moving and will be living within a minute or 2 from Blackbutt reserve. Would be happy to get involved in a bit of the maintenance of the track and of course a ride. I'll only be there in September (I'll be riding the Colorado trail amongst other things in the meantime) but I'm excited to be living a quick pedal from a fun track.

Would be nice to meet up with some local riders/trail fairies if anyone wants to send me a PM.

MarioM

Likes Dirt
I'll be moving and will be living within a minute or 2 from Blackbutt reserve. Would be happy to get involved in a bit of the maintenance of the track and of course a ride. I'll only be there in September (I'll be riding the Colorado trail amongst other things in the meantime) but I'm excited to be living a quick pedal from a fun track.

Would be nice to meet up with some local riders/trail fairies if anyone wants to send me a PM.
Welcome to the area LPG . Trails are running nicely . Some are overgrown but I reckon this just gives it a more natural feel rather than groomed . Just note that while these trails have been there for over 20 years they are not MTB specific . Depending on the time of day you will come across walkers and we always give them right of way here . The council does not mind us riding here just as long as new trails are not built .

There are regular Tuesday night rides too that get anywhere between 5 and 20 riders - all are welcome . For me the beauty of this place is that you can ride and not see anyone for your entire ride .

LPG

likes thicc birds
Welcome to the area LPG. Trails are running nicely. Some are overgrown but I reckon this just gives it a more natural feel rather than groomed . Just note that while these trails have been there for over 20 years they are not MTB specific. Depending on the time of day you will come across walkers and we always give them right of way here . The council does not mind us riding here just as long as new trails are not built .

There are regular Tuesday night rides too that get anywhere between 5 and 20 riders - all are welcome. For me the beauty of this place is that you can ride and not see anyone for your entire ride .
Thanks Mario, I'll have to get along to the Tuesday night ride once I'm actually there.

I went for a ride there last Saturday. The tracks I was on were good and I enjoyed exploring what I did find find. Being new new to me and a bit overgrown I kept the speed down a bit but I can see some spots that would be a lot of fun with more speed. I understand that the tracks are multi use, part of the reason I wanted to be near the reserve was so I had a nice spot to walk the dogs where there is a bit of peace and quiet.

Look forward to meeting you there sometime.