Blatant profiteering in trading section

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
The story begins here in NUTTRs garage sale thread, a nice bargain SLX crankset is listed. A number of people express a wish to buy the cranks in the thread. ChopSticks PMs and arranges to buy the cranks. For $30 I understand (someone else will remember the exact price).

The same cranks then appear for sale on ebay for $68 + $14 postage. The seller has the username Chopstickslee.

Now what ChopSticks is doing is not illegal, but in my opinion it is a slap in the face to all the rotorburners who trade with each other fairly, and in most cases extremely generously. I would like to suggest a change to the trading rules that makes this kind of behaviour explicitly not allowed, with infractions resulting in revocation of trading rights.

If I have stepped over a line by starting this thread mods, I am very happy to delete it, but everything written above is a matter of record in other threads.

If the ebay seller is not the same ChopSticks from here, I will gladly issue a grovelling apology.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
He's also the most expensive seller on here, so I wouldn't sell to him anyway - karma and all that.

The rules have already recently changed and the main reason was this person (the selling for a mate clause) it seems. Dirty dingo.

moorey

call me Mia
My mind boggles at either:
1. The stupidity of resisting so soon under same name
or
2. The deliberate 'fuck you' to other burners.

:noidea:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Sadly predictable and not the intended use of the trading section.

We'll get back to you on this.

Minlak

custom titis
Seriously why bother? You may feel better for voicing your opinions but he is too busy winning to care. So you ban him he will just start a new account and do the same as he is winning. I am not one for staying silent normally but you are all just wasting your time.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Seriously why bother? You may feel better for voicing your opinions but he is too busy winning to care. So you ban him he will just start a new account and do the same as he is winning. I am not one for staying silent normally but you are all just wasting your time.
IN my opinion he shouldn't be banned, but have his trading rights revoked. If he starts a new account with same IP(s), it will be obvious to site admins. And if new account engages in the same behaviour, same consequences.

You are right, impossible to totally eradicate, but it is certainly worth trying. In my opinion.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I've been selling used stuff on here for over a decade I'd guess.
I always try to get top dollar as that's what I most likely paid. Never have a profited and only very rarely have I got what I was asking for it.
It's a long bow. Most people are making money off others as work, selling stuff to people that they don't need. It's the main reason this world is fucked. If Chops is making money, he's probably very likely to be making a great deal less per hour than anyone else. Dirty yes, but are you in retail? I think it's lame too, it's great we're all trying to help a brother out when selling on here and fighting the corporate greed machine. I just think this thread should be suffice for Chops to realize he's burning burners with his actions.

Last edited:

mymasseur

Likes Dirt
I've been selling used stuff on here for over a decade I'd guess.
I always try to get top dollar as that's what I most likely paid. Never have a profited and only very rarely have I got what I was asking for it.
It's a long bow. Most people are making money off others selling shit they don't need. It's the main reason this world is fucked. If Chops is making money, he's probably very likely to be making a great deal less per hour than anyone else. Dirty yes, but are you in retail? I think it's lame too, it's great we're all trying to help a brother out when selling and fighting the corporate greed machine. I just think this thread should be suffice for Chops to realize he's burning burners with his actions.
Yeah, think you would be wasting time. new accounts here, if not here on FB or ebay, whatever. Not cool I guess, but yeah this thread should help to notify people like me as i had no idea. Guess I'll be careful of that dude now!

scblack

Leucocholic
Who could be fucked going through all that effort:
  • buying the cranks
  • picking up the cranks - or having them posted
  • listing them on ebay
  • checking up on ebay queries
  • making sure cash is rec'd from ebay/paypal
  • posting them to the buyer

Who would do that for a ~$38 profit?

I have a fucking life and have better things to do with my time.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
If people bring stuff on to RB and sell it at whatever price that is fine, no probs with that. Edit* to be honest I don't even mind that he is selling stuff that belongs to other people for a few bucks on the side. That Chops is making those sales his own now and that others don't sell their mate's bikes is fine by me.

However if people are undermining sales on RB by contacting the seller and offering more and then flipping that item for a profit that is unacceptable.

This website is a community of sorts, the owner of the website doesn't even make any real measurable profit from its existence. To have a person using the website for their own profit at a cost to the community is unacceptable. The intended use of the website is being perverted and the owner of the website is fully within his/her rights to curb that behaviour.

If Chops is smart he will simply cease this this kind of greedy and selfish behaviour himself without waiting for us to act.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
I personally don't care if chuntstick makes a dollar here and there from a sale. But cutting burners out of a sale, friends even, then flaunting it, and immediately trying to resell elsewhere (and via pm), makes you a shit bloke.
Chops will continue to do it whether reprimanded or if trading access revoked, but hopefully people go into trading with him with eyes wide open.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Who could be fucked going through all that effort:
  • buying the cranks
  • picking up the cranks - or having them posted
  • listing them on ebay
  • checking up on ebay queries
  • making sure cash is rec'd from ebay/paypal
  • posting them to the buyer

Who would do that for a ~$38 profit?

I have a fucking life and have better things to do with my time.
$38 buys a lot of purple anno.......

Status
Not open for further replies.