Rear derailleur - XTR Trail
Front shifter - XTR
Rear shifter - XTR
Cassette - XTR
Wheelset - Americian Classic All Mountain's
Tyres - F Maxxis Ignitor, Rear Maxxis Ikon
Tubes - Maxxis Fly Weights
Total weight - 11.9kgs

P6220425.jpgP6220421.jpgP6220420.jpgP6220419.jpgP6220424.jpgP6220423.jpgP6220422.jpg

Last edited:

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
Holy Sh1tballs... that is bling just a bit!

You've listed your FD, RD and pedals the wrong way around FYI (XT&XTR/trail).

TheBug

Likes Bikes and Dirt
More stopping power the better.
I guess I should've worded it better. Obviously the OP is comfortable with the Saint's power output and their feel otherwise he wouldn't be using them.
My question really was about whether he feels the weight penalty imposed by the Saint is worth the power they deliver on such a lightweight bike in hindsight.
The only reason I ask is that I'm thinking of doing a similar thing.

paulb

Likes Dirt
Got to admit I thought the same about the Saints being surprisingly heavy duty, especially with what looked small and light tyres (and the tubes rubbed it in).

And yes, I too have one on the way and have been trying to work out what size tyres a bike like that should have - thinking 2.2 rubber queens? 2.35 minion single plys? But would these be too big? So I was very interested in your choice of tyres. I presume your ignitor is a 2.35? The 5.7 seems to straddle big XC and AM - guessing this fits your light parts + saints build.

ac_DHer

Likes Dirt
Got to admit I thought the same about the Saints being surprisingly heavy duty, especially with what looked small and light tyres (and the tubes rubbed it in).

And yes, I too have one on the way and have been trying to work out what size tyres a bike like that should have - thinking 2.2 rubber queens? 2.35 minion single plys? But would these be too big? So I was very interested in your choice of tyres. I presume your ignitor is a 2.35? The 5.7 seems to straddle big XC and AM - guessing this fits your light parts + saints build.
Pretty much the whole intention of this build, was to put together the closest thing to the perfect alrounder possible. The trails i ride at the moment aren't anything crazy, hence my current tyre choice. In January next year i'm heading to NZ for 3 weeks for a AM/FR/DH tour of sorts, hence the fork choice and choice of Saint's over XTR. When it comes down to it they only weigh 70 grams more than XTR anyway.

To much power with these brakes isn't really a issue, as they modulate very well. But yeah bigger tyre's will be on the way soon. (2.3 Specialized Purgatory im thinking)

Last edited:

faith_rider

Likes Dirt
Oh my....very very nice!

You've got the same idea as a build I'm about to do - specing it up more towards aggressive AM. Except I'm looking at a green frame and X0 gear ;) I also had the same idea about colouring 2 of the cables (except in green) - I think it works really well!

What size is the frame? How do you find the Fox 34's? The Fox 32's were my only niggle on the Mach 5.7 - didn't feel like a match for the aggro and speed the bike is capable of on the way down. I like the idea of a slightly slacker head angle as well by going to 160mm.

Haven't been able to stop thinking about the Mach 5.7 since I test rode one. Looking forward to joining the club soon!

paulb

Likes Dirt
Thanks ac_DHer, hope it didn't seem like a cross examination. Just waiting for mine to arrive and over-researching tyres etc while I wait.

posty26

Likes Bikes
What he said!

Oh my....very very nice!

What size is the frame? How do you find the Fox 34's? The Fox 32's were my only niggle on the Mach 5.7 - didn't feel like a match for the aggro and speed the bike is capable of on the way down. I like the idea of a slightly slacker head angle as well by going to 160mm.

Haven't been able to stop thinking about the Mach 5.7 since I test rode one. Looking forward to joining the club soon!
Nice Build!

In similar position at the moment having test ridden a large 5.7 recently and considering dropping the coin on a carbon. What are your thoughts on the Talas 34/160 and head angle. The tester I rode had a 150/120 travel adjustable revelation which I felt was necessary to drop the front on climbs and even flatter, tighter stuff.