Bloody axle standards... for Lapierre

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Did a search on here, google and will probably need the psychic hotline as the Lapierre website is shit for basic informantion.

I didn't realise there is a number of different axle standards for 142x12.

Just bought a Lapierre X-flow 912 (because 26 is where the funs at), it didn't come with an axle, which I figured would not be a problem as I have a few lying around.

But (nothing wrong with starting a sentence with a conjunction), after trying a maxle and syntace / DT X12 off other bikes neither fits, thread / diameter is a wee bit too wide.

As far as I can make out it uses a shimano E-thru axle?

onlock

Likes Bikes
Possibly similar to giants? My 14 trance has a 142x12 rear but uses a 9mm axel? I dunno im new to this but would of thought the 142x12 would just use a 12mm axel. Can take pics if needed

mitchy_

Llama calmer
not exactly much help, but according to this the Shimano axle is M12x1.5
http://www.extralite.com/Products/Black Lock.htm

if you're able to source a bolt of the same pitch, you can at least confirm that will do the job before blowing a small fortune on what bike axles seem to cost. (it happens to be a common car wheel stud size...)

takai

Eats Squid
MWI, cant remember where you are in Melbs, but if you are in the South East then i have a Shimano E-thru i wont be using for a while.

acads

Likes Dirt
Possibly similar to giants? My 14 trance has a 142x12 rear but uses a 9mm axel? I dunno im new to this but would of thought the 142x12 would just use a 12mm axel. Can take pics if needed
onlock , Giant trance and anthem ( 2014/15 27.5 mdl) frames are able to run two different axle sizes due to replaceable inserts . 135x9 is the default size for the alloy bikes and 142x12 for the carbon models, that 12mm is axle is proprietary to Giant because they can be painful when they want to be .

OP , sorry for the offtopic.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
onlock , Giant trance and anthem ( 2014/15 27.5 mdl) frames are able to run two different axle sizes due to replaceable inserts . 135x9 is the default size for the alloy bikes and 142x12 for the carbon models....
No it's not, it's 135x10. 9mm is for front q/r axles.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Off topic. Is 142x9 a thing at all for a new trance?
I think the guy was confused. The quick release is longer I believe as it has to go through the same distance as a 142x12. The trance rear is convertible by removing a dropout one side and a different hanger the other. They sit inside the chainstays to reduce the spacing down to 135. Make any sense lol?

moorey

call me Mia
I think the guy was confused. The quick release is longer I believe as it has to go through the same distance as a 142x12. The trance rear is convertible by removing a dropout one side and a different hanger the other. They sit inside the chainstays to reduce the spacing down to 135. Make any sense lol?
Perfectly. I was in no place to tell him he was wrong, and no one else piped up. Good luck to him finding a buyer for his 142x9 QR wheels though.

MARKL

Eats Squid
I agree, no bitching about standards this year, embrace them all!

I look forward to the day when every manufacturer has his own set of standards for every component and nothing is interchangeable between brands or bikes. Fuck 27.5, I wanna see 26.4, 26.7,27.7, 28.9 (still Enduro coz it ain't 29). Come on more bottom bracket standards please, I don't think there are enough yet. Big shout out to Giant for overdrive 2 forks, I hope the other big boys do there own as well. More axle standards please to ensure that even if two manufacturers mistakenly offer the same wheel size the axles are incompatible. :thumb:

sammie_wood

Likes Bikes
I agree, no bitching about standards this year, embrace them all!

I look forward to the day when every manufacturer has his own set of standards for every component and nothing is interchangeable between brands or bikes. Fuck 27.5, I wanna see 26.4, 26.7,27.7, 28.9 (still Enduro coz it ain't 29). Come on more bottom bracket standards please, I don't think there are enough yet. Big shout out to Giant for overdrive 2 forks, I hope the other big boys do there own as well. More axle standards please to ensure that even if two manufacturers mistakenly offer the same wheel size the axles are incompatible. :thumb:
SHUSH YOU!!! they might actually do it....:frusty::mmph:

MARKL

Eats Squid
SHUSH YOU!!! they might actually do it....:frusty::mmph:
Relax, they don't pay any attention when we bitch about new standards, why would they pay any attention now?

Anyhow it doesn't matter as most hub manufacturers will simply make new end caps to suit...how this will achieve greater triangulation in the spokes is beyond me...

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Relax, they don't pay any attention when we bitch about new standards, why would they pay any attention now?

Anyhow it doesn't matter as most hub manufacturers will simply make new end caps to suit...how this will achieve greater triangulation in the spokes is beyond me...
the 148 rear hub and 15x110 front hub both sound like wider hub bodies, not just end caps to suit. therefore flanges (and disc mounts) are further out, thus not compatible.

MARKL

Eats Squid
the 148 rear hub and 15x110 front hub both sound like wider hub bodies, not just end caps to suit. therefore flanges (and disc mounts) are further out, thus not compatible.
Yeah, good point...except there are a hell of a lot of hubs that convert between 15mm (100) and 20mm (110) using end caps...

Reality is if it was super critical nobody would buy 150mm Hope hubs for downhill use (look at the brake side spoke flange it's in roughly the same place as a 135 version) and they are probably the most popular hub on this forum :noidea:

Not criticising the hub, they are a great hub, just an observation that even on downhill hubs, where it is probably most critical, flange width often is not optimised and nobody considers it. I have never heard anyone comment 'xxx hub, the flanges are a bit close together and it will give you a flexy wheel'

Reality is nobody shops for hubs based on flange width as there are so many factors that come into it.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Yeah, good point...except there are a hell of a lot of hubs that convert between 15mm (100) and 20mm (110) using end caps...

Reality is if it was super critical nobody would buy 150mm Hope hubs for downhill use (look at the brake side spoke flange it's in roughly the same place as a 135 version) and they are probably the most popular hub on this forum :noidea:

Not criticising the hub, they are a great hub, just an observation that even on downhill hubs, where it is probably most critical, flange width often is not optimised and nobody considers it. I have never heard anyone comment 'xxx hub, the flanges are a bit close together and it will give you a flexy wheel'

Reality is nobody shops for hubs based on flange width as there are so many factors that come into it.
that's because the 20x110 isn't wider across the hub shell/rotor mount. from the quick look i had, the 15x110 appears to be. i could be wrong though, just my understanding.

people wont shop for it, but bike manufacturers will certainly make it a selling point!