Blue Mountain Downhill Riders.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Knapsack Reserve Downhill Bike Plan goes to Council for final approval this Tuesday

Finally the plan for the Knapsack Reserve DH track goes to council for final approval this Tuesday night 13th March.

The plan has recently come back from an indepedant Commonwealth assessment on its environmental impact as not a problem. So we have a good chance of it being passed by the councillors however we need to lobby to show support for the plan.

Essentailly if people could write a short email to coucillors stating their support for the plan that would be great.

If anyone can turn up on the night at Council Chambers Katoomba at 7:30pm that would also be a great show of strength and interest.

Councillor email addresses can be found here

http://www.bmcc.nsw.gov.au/yourcouncil/councillors

or more easily in this post on BMORC.com where you just click on the link

http://bmorc.com/node/34608

If this gets approved its a great step forward for trails in the Blue Mountains and also has ramifications elsewhere.

Last edited:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Knapsack Reserve Build Day Saturday 11th August

BMORC and BMCC are having a build day at Knapsack reserve starting on the conversion of a section of trail into the beginning section of the DH.

Volunteers are needed and most welcome... full details here at BMORC.com

http://bmorc.com/node/36906

csrides

Likes Bikes
Knapsack Building

Does anybody know when the next build day on the knapsack downhill track is? Keen to get out there and help.

csrides

Likes Bikes
Alright guys, knapsack is built by dirt art and awaiting opening, theres some sick tracks going, whos riding? lets bring this back, too many people stopped riding when OBR closed, everyone come back!

Sam Forsythe

Cannon Fodder
New (kinda) rider from emu, used to ride 3 years ago when old Bathurst and chicken run where the business and farken was all over our school computers, getting back into the sport again but have no idea what is/isn't rideable or legal anymore. Chicken, obr, tramways? That new one I keep hearing about on glennrook to knapsack bridge? Fill me in...

Cheers, Sam

csrides

Likes Bikes
New (kinda) rider from emu, used to ride 3 years ago when old Bathurst and chicken run where the business and farken was all over our school computers, getting back into the sport again but have no idea what is/isn't rideable or legal anymore. Chicken, obr, tramways? That new one I keep hearing about on glennrook to knapsack bridge? Fill me in...

Cheers, Sam
Sick man, yeah chicken and tramways are running, chicken in super good condition, tramways not so much.... But yeah the knapsack downhill track runs down to the bridge, not sure when it will be open but its all finished, it runs off lovers walk on barnett st glenbrook. Will be great to see some more riders out this way!

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What we are all waiting for here is Council getting a sign off from IMBA and then council putting up temporary signage saying its riders only purely for safety reasons.

However there is still a lot of opposition from the Blue Mountains Conservation Society who are just making things difficult on small details, because, well I don't know what they want to happen really. Besides this there seems to be a really positive feeling from non-riders I have spoken to in the area and from Council themselves towards the trail being completed and what a resource it will be for the local riders

So please stay off the trail till it is officially open and advise anyone else you know of this too.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
I just cant wait for Knapsack to open! Rode it on the final build day (which was allowed just for that day) and it was rad.

OPEN UP GODDAMNIT

Last edited:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There is a delay for the opening because of concerns about how a few of the features will stand up over time. These are largely a result of the lousy soil in the area and the lack of rain of the last few months to bed stuff in.

So there are concerns from the other stakeholders (ie the conservationists) as they are watching like hawks, but IMBA are doing a signoff on the trail and have some concerns as does BMORC. We would all much rather be certain these sections are bullet proof so they don't fall apart when the trail is open requiring serious repairs. We would rather armour the sections and have them robust before tyres hit the trail.

So thanks for everyone staying off the trail until it can be opened... I know it is unbelievably frustrating but we are nearing the final stages.

Ride.Dirt.Wake.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still no definite word on opening. There's a bunch of berms that need work to hold up to even the first riders down the track.
Officially waiting on IMBA's word to open, unofficially still work to do.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Seems this thread has died, but I'll throw it in any ways...

Lithgow today anyone? Will be hitting up Pony Express with a mate, so feel free to join.

Oh, and just one more thing.

Open the fuck up Knapsack. I'm losing my shit!

Static 81

Likes Bikes
Still no definite word on opening. There's a bunch of berms that need work to hold up to even the first riders down the track.
Officially waiting on IMBA's word to open, unofficially still work to do.
Apparently she's open...
Can anyone confirm that this is the case?

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Was it Blackmans in Penrith that was spreading the word? If so I have no idea how they could have been so mislead, as they have direct contact with "the main dude" all the time if not perhaps regularly, being a customer/mtb'er and most certainly a big name in the local mtb scene.

Keen for this track to open... Got my dh skills back up to scratch after riding some proper 'dh' tracks over the weekend, after a very long time of shredding smooth, groomed freeride-ish tracks at Oxy. My riding has most certainly adapted to smooth trails and slope style.

My life story.