Blue Tier, Bay of Fires and St Helens trails.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Been looking online and can't find much after the big opening day on the 22nd Nov. Who has ridden these ? Anyone done the Blue Tier to Bay Of Fires ?

Last edited:

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
A few friends did it a couple of days ago. Said it was well worthy. Top half, down right awesome. Bottom half, a bit meh, but still a thoroughly good outing. And the swim at the end was lovely, but freeeeezing.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've heard the same as above.

I think some people expected it to be a lot less pedaling than it was, but there isn't enormous amounts of elevation between the top of the hill and the beach

ozzybmx

Exactly what I read, top half awesome, last 20km.... average.

The full run Strava segment is saying anything between 550vm-950vm for the runs down it, 550m is probably Garmins with their smoothing and 950m Iphone, so its obviously somewhere in between.... probably around 700vm going on my Garmins underestimation of climbing.

https://www.strava.com/segments/22325377?filter=overall

ozzybmx

Quite a bit of fire road linking it all too
Its probably like anything these days, so much of a rush to get it open, still future works planned.

BODC were super keen to have some of the Derby pie, it would have been #1 priority to get the 40km trail down the mountain.

I read there was one fire road section that was getting replaced by a trail in the future, I didn't know there was several sections of it.

teK--

Eats Squid
We had the chance to ride the second half before the official launch, but declined as we wanted to wait to ride the whole thing. Sounds like it was a good decision.

ozzybmx

We had the chance to ride the second half before the official launch, but declined as we wanted to wait to ride the whole thing. Sounds like it was a good decision.
Maybe the chance to ride the first half would have been a better deal :)

Seen some photos of a group from SA who did it Saturday, everyone had seriously dust marked faces... a couple of wet days and a few riders over it will sort that out though.

I suppose its direct competition is Blue Tier-Atlas and there's a fair bit of climbing involved with that run, the only sweetener is you get to finish Atlas with some Derby goodness like Trouty, Black Dragon, Deadly Bugga ect... I'm sure it will get there eventually, it all takes time.

Are the St Helens trails open and available for personal shuttles ?

ozzybmx

Not here to claim the smarter title that's on offer :rolleyes:

First pic is the shuttle route from Blue Tier to Terrys Hill road, looks pretty straight forward, basically straight up and down by the looks of it.

Second pic is the first 12.6km to the meeting point on Terrys Hill road.

Great idea BTW.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Are the St Helens trails open and available for personal shuttles ?
The St Helens trails are open very dry and dusty was the report from my bro who rode some today, they also self shuttled which I'm sure you'll be happy to hear ozzy. His pick was old salty dog at this stage but I don't think there are any real tech trails open down there yet they are to come in stage 2.

ozzybmx

The St Helens trails are open very dry and dusty was the report from my bro who rode some today, they also self shuttled which I'm sure you'll be happy to hear ozzy. His pick was old salty dog at this stage but I don't think there are any real tech trails open down there yet they are to come in stage 2.
Cheers rstim. I've been doing a bit of Strava trolling on the rides around St Helens and the BOFT, everyone is commenting... dry, dusty, more climbing than we thought... cant expect Derby manicure trails immediately.

Looks like Loila Tier road does both Salty Dog and See Ya Later, is See Ya Later open ?

PJO

in me vL comy
We we're at St. Helens on Sat and Sun. Overall the trails are good, only about 25 out of the 66km are open. Green trails, which my 6 and 7 year old boys enjoyed, and blue trails only so far. We rode all the trails except seeya later. The major difference to Derby is the soil type and vegetation, it's very more sandy and sparse. Grip levels are lower.

To ride old salty dog and seeya later you have to shuttle at this stage, you could ride up in theory but it would be a 4km slog up a very steep fire trail. In the future there is supposed to be a climbing trail, and a couple of black runs, you can see plenty of construction work going on. I spoke to a few peeps and the word is that lots more km of trail will be opening over the next 6 months.

We self-shuttled ourselves a couple of times, the road is narrow in a couple of spots but not rough, easily doable. Also a few mates got an uplift (I ran out of time), was $15 each.
Old salty dog was a fantastic track, lots of features to play on, but does have a pretty intense climb in the middle. I didn't get to ride it but others from our riding mob rated seeya later said it had hardly any climbing.

The one big downside at the moment is the dust, it is powdery and chalky, and a couple of inches deep in sections. It is was so bad you couldn't ride behind anyone and it's extremely fine and got through everything, so I think I'll be doing some suspension servicing over the next week. Hopefully it will bed down with some rain, after speaking to the locals they are desperate for rain it is unusually dry there at the moment. My concern is that the soil type may be such that it remains dusty.

Also there was an air of expectation from the locals, all the business owners kept asking if the trails were any good, I think the council has been talking it up quite a bit.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It seems as though the St Helens area is targeting the families, where Derby is not a family friendly place (For non-riding family members)

nathanm

Eats Squid
am keen to ride it and hope to get up there soon.

For terrorists coming down to ride, St Helens has always been a popular tourist location for Tassie locals and has a lot to do around the area. There's some good surf beaches, excellent fishing and plenty to do off the bike. My pick is always Pyengana for the cheese and waterfalls close by.
Coles Bay/Wineglass Bay isn't too far away and there's a heap of touristy things to do. Unlike Derby which is MTB nirvana and not much else, I imagine St Helens trails will just compliment everything else to do in the area.
Personally I hope they do have a lot of green/beginner trails as it would be the perfect opportunity to take the kids for a few days.