Blur TRc Rear Shock Upgrade

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Hey All,

I'm currently toying with the idea of upgrading the rear shock in my Blur TRc. Currently it's a Fox Float RP23 Kashima, 200x51 I believe. Replacement options I'm looking at currently are:

• RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 DebonAir
  • Cane Creek DBAir

Reading around it seems the RS is more suited, a bit simpler to tune and gets good reviews on the Blur. Any opinions on here?

Also, from my looking around it seems that the RS comes in a variety of 'tunes' for rebound & compression. Information on which one is suited is sketchy at best, but it looks like I'd be after an M/M tune? If that's the case, I can't seem to find one anywhere, plenty of L/L tune in 200x51 and M/M tune in 195x51. But that's just the internet, still got the LBS to try.

Cheers

will2

Likes Dirt
Have you spoken to NS Dynamics? They would be your best bet to buy and have a chat about the nerdy inner sanctum workings of suspension. They will know the right tune and shock for the bike plus factor in your preferences, very good customer assistance and generally relatively good prices. It might help if you know what you are aiming to achieve with the shock upgrade. Adjustability, Mid stroke support, suppleness etc...? Even if you tell them your current gripes with the suspension platform.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
i'll tell anyone who will listen that the Monarch is the better shock. i've converted a few people who have tried fox, cane creek and rockshox and all seem to agree.

any aftermarket Rockshox shock only comes as M/M tune now, but they have a wide tuning ability. the other tunes you're looking at must be new bike take offs.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
i'll tell anyone who will listen that the Monarch is the better shock. i've converted a few people who have tried fox, cane creek and rockshox and all seem to agree.

any aftermarket Rockshox shock only comes as M/M tune now, but they have a wide tuning ability. the other tunes you're looking at must be new bike take offs.
Oddly enough, the only tune I could find initially was L/L tune on CRC. I have been able to track down a medium tune on bike-discount.de (out of stock mind you).

Thanks for the feedback too. I've got in contact with Santa Cruz to see if they have any input. Failing that, I may get in contact with NS Dynamics as well and have a chat to them as Will2 suggests.

gregp

Likes Dirt
...but they have a wide tuning ability...
Mitchy, are you referring to tuning via external knobs or via toying with shim stacks?

Personally, I'm looking to switch from Fox to something that is fully user serviceable. I'll be happy if I can get the Monarch close to my current stock TRc Fox tune, and avoid prolonged bike down time and a $200 fee for each shock service.

gregp

Likes Dirt
I've got in contact with Santa Cruz to see if they have any input. Failing that, I may get in contact with NS Dynamics as well and have a chat to them as Will2 suggests.
Hi Jim, did you end up installing the monarch+ debonair on your TRc? What's the verdict? What did SC have to say?