BMX Advice

BT180

Max Pfaff
Hey Bandits, looking for a BMX for my 7yo. The peeps up at the club suggested a Junior size. Now I know my MTB, but a bit lost with BMX. Have found a couple of contenders. First one better condition, 2 brakes and wider tyres. Listed as a race bike also, but doesn’t seem as extreme as the second. Second one cheaper, more used and more ‘racey’. But will it be harder to ride?
Wondering what the better buy would be for my boy who is just starting out.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
One piece cranks rock. Sort of..
The Hilbrick looks like the better racer but for general messing around those thinner sewn up racing wheels couldn't last too long.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
You’d be surprised how much those bikes can handle. Aluminium frame with decent design vs. budget steel frame. Just look at the cheap dropouts, unsealed bottom bracket (how can you? WON’T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!?).
The width is based off kid size. As kids get bigger, so do the tyres.

BT180

Max Pfaff
So that’s a resounding win for the Hillbrick. Was trying to work out where it was from, as I’d not heard of them. Seems a Sydney company?

Last edited:

Ultra Lord

So that’s a resounding win for the Hillbrick. Was trying to work out where it was from, as I’d not heard of them. Seems a Sydney company?
Yup. They have a very good history in race bmx. Seriously cool bike for a kid! And it comes with all the pads so it’s ready to go. Just pick up some pants, a jersey And a fullface for the little sender and he’s all set to channel his inner Graves and shred some bmx tracks!

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Random BMX photos from me.

Crisp Pro I stumbled across - could have sold this bike for $2000:

Factory Team Apollo I had as a teenager, only recent passed on by a mate of mine (we are talking 35 years here!):

Also worth a small fortune now...

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Paul Hilbrick has been building frames for years now. Mainly road focused I think but one of the few still at it.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Sweet little Hillbrick, now you just need to get a set of these so you can yell GET OFF THE BRAKES at the little fella every time he has the temerity to try to slow down.

If you ain't first you're last and all that.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If the young bloke is going to be racing, the Hillbrick is hands down the better bike; lighter, so more agile & easier to move, and has decent drivetrain bits. The Redline is a bit of a tank, better suited to park/trick style riding. Depending on what it's built for, the frame could be too long for him to ride comfortably; different models have different frame lengths depending on what they're intended for. Being a "junior" model, the Hillbrick is more likely be a winner in this department too.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Thanks Duck. I'm learning quickly that there isn't just a 'BMX' bike. Race, park, freestyle, etc all have their own characteristics. My boy has joined the local club, so will be racing. He can use his MTB for general mucking about on the streets....for now!

I've also noticed there's a dad's race series on 'cruiser' BMX bikes. I might have to start looking into those too!!

BT180

Max Pfaff
That looks sick in candy red! Have a feeling that will be way out of my budget though. But the good thing with BMX is it's about 1/10 the cost of MTB!

Ultra Lord

That looks sick in candy red! Have a feeling that will be way out of my budget though. But the good thing with BMX is it's about 1/10 the cost of MTB!
It’s only money. You’ll be fine

candy red with a 22” tt and you’ll be giggling!

I built a solid trails bmx up when I was 19/20, cost me $2500. Top end everything (no ti though). Still got it, and it’s still working (rough as though. I wasn’t kind to it)