BMX Olympian kick starts Mountain Bike season

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
BMX Olympian Luke Madill (Penrith) is on track winning the first round of the Red Ass National Four Cross at Sydney Olympic Park today The 28 year national champion took the win away from last season’s overall leader, Leigh Darrell from Canberra. Madill admitted he has his sights set on an international career in mountain biking.

“I’m just looking at getting to all of the World Cup rounds this year,” Madill stated. " Today was great. I always wanted to race it internationally and it's a change from BMX."

The stage was set in the final with Madill leading into the first corner with Darrell matching his every move. Third was Victoria's David Habicht (Sebastopol) while Sydney's Alex Lloyd (St Clair) claimed fourth.

The women’s national champion, Caroline Buchanan from Canberra secured her first win of the national series. After winning the World Cup round in Canberra recently the 17 year old looked confident all day. A return to racing from top Australian rider, Sarsha Huntington (Redland) from Brisbane made a top field but Huntington was outdone in the second straight by Shannon Jobson (Blaxland) and Danielle Beecroft (Londonderry). Jobson and Beecroft finished in second and third place respectively.

Graham Mudd (Woodberry) won the Under 19 men’s while Taylor Barnes (Oakville) took out the women’s category.

Round two in the national series continues tomorrow at the Monster Mountain Cross track at Sydney Olympic Park. Racing starts at 12 noon.

Sharon Payne
Media Manager
Mountain Bike Australia

molzy13

Likes Dirt
yeah Dave Habicht. what a pinner. i didnt even know he did 4x. good to see him doing well and making it to the finals!:)

GTkonaHORSE

Likes Bikes
Look out world another aussie pinner on the world cup
Is going to be an awsome WC next year the way Madill rode yesterday (hitting corners hard enough he was exploding his front tyre) Gravey may not have it all his own way.
Fark we have some talent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!