Body Armour Recommendations

slowmick

38-39"
Looking for peoples experiences with body armour/pressure suits. i am looking at buying a pressure suit to wear to do the Alpine Gravity Enduro series. i mostly need protection for one of my shoulders and from what i can see only on line only pressure suits offer this sort of protection.

The only experience i have with pressure suits is the 661 i hired at whistler. As a hire one the mesh liner had lost most of it's elasticity and most of the buckles and straps were broken or stretched. i looked like a middle aged, overweight Dr Frankenfurter.

John U

MTB Precision
Hi Mick,
I have had a Dianese one for years. It has hip plates as well. It's not perfect but I reckon it's saved me one more than one occasion. One of the should plates has been cracked from a collision with a tree. I reckon that would've been a major shoulder injury for me if I wasn't wearing it.

The set up means I've got to take my shorts off to get it on. It looks a bit dorky compared to the newer gear but IDGAF. It has worked.

I think the hip plates are a good idea but most pressure suits don’t seem to come with them.

I think it might be about time to replace it. I have been considering a LEATT pressure suit and a neck brace. I’m guessing the neck brace will be overkill for the elevation series but the pressure suit can be worn with/without the brace. If I went down this track the suit is just a jacket. I would consider getting some shorts with hip protection.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have an old Dianese I've used on the moto for years. I usually ride with the back protector zipped off, it's just too bloody hot. Without it, it still offers the shoulder/elbow and roost plate and it's quite cooler than running the back protector and kidney belt. I know I should use the back protector but I find them quite hot and restrictive.

Nerdbox

Likes Dirt
I'm all for safety - as my gear has saved my ass more than once but a pressure suit for the alpine gravity series is unnecessary and will be a huge hindrance

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Where are you and how big are you?
I have a pressure suit ive worn about twice then its been in a box since cause i moved overseas and bought a second one there and brought it home. Id be happy to shift the first one for postage and the price of a six pack if i knew someone would use it.

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Hey Mick,

don't have feedback for pressure suits, but some for knee and elbow/forearm pads.

I bought a rockgardn flakjacket with knee/shin armour (in '09??). The knee/shins were crap for anything pedally, but the elbow/forearm sections were ok & stayed in place.

Got some fox launch shorty knee pads, also moved around on pedally trails. L/XL, but may have had wrong size or needed to trim elastic straps.

Currently wearing POC VPD 2.0 DH elbows, and POC VPD 2.0 knee pads. Great pads, they stay in place, have stacked a few times and no injuries, pads look fine also. They will get hot and sweaty, but better than smashed joints & reconstructive surgery, IMO :)

The stretch sleeve material on the POC pads was pretty snug to begin with, but has given a little over time, not much though. I have tree-trunk legs so I have the L/XL pads, and L/XL in elbow pads.

I'm curious about dainese trailskins. thinner pads, but ventilation very good, going by reviews.

slowmick

38-39"
Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I should go for full disclosure. Fell off the bike 6 weeks ago, dislocated my shoulder and fractured the humerus. Doctor said I can return to normal life at 8 weeks. Methinks that mountain bike riding, in particular the enduro races don't fall into most peoples definition of normal life. I have paid for my MTBA racing licence and the full enduro series and i'm too tight to not to go to the races (they are a shit load of fun too).
I assume i should not bang my shoulder on anything for a while. I have a bad history of clipping trees with my shoulders on tight trails and Ben likes to have a good selection of rock gardens. Even the shuttle ride could give me a good belt in the shoulder.

John U - thanks for the feedback - will look into what Dainese have for the larger man. Maybe you grab a new one in time for all the shuttles to start for the 2014/15 downhill season.
Nerdbox - I did the series last year and realise that a pressure suit isn't necessary but it seems the only way i can get some coverage for the top of my arm bone.
DCrofty - Thanks for the offer. I am around 6' 2" i think (a bit over 190 cm) and I've been sitting on the couch being a whingy of bastard for the last 6 weeks so i would be an XXL or if i am lucky and XL.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
G-Form

Good enough for T-Mo

We have a bunch of the G-Form compression shirts in as well ... shoulder pad is located on the "round" of the shoulder, and up the shoulder a little, but just shy of the Clavicle(s). The main aim here is to take some of the initial energy out of the point of impact and let you roll.

Alternatively ... look at this, presuming its one shoulder and not both

Tight arse alternative => If you or your partner are handy with the "Singer" then I have a bunch of impact foam "off cuts" you could use to fashion something similar to the above. Even has the ballastic cloth to let you slide a bit on impact * shrugs.
Cover postage and a case of black doctor (if you ever meet me) and its yours ... prolly enough for both shoulders if you want. PM

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I should go for full disclosure. Fell off the bike 6 weeks ago, dislocated my shoulder and fractured the humerus. Doctor said I can return to normal life at 8 weeks. Methinks that mountain bike riding, in particular the enduro races don't fall into most peoples definition of normal life. I have paid for my MTBA racing licence and the full enduro series and i'm too tight to not to go to the races (they are a shit load of fun too).
I assume i should not bang my shoulder on anything for a while. I have a bad history of clipping trees with my shoulders on tight trails and Ben likes to have a good selection of rock gardens. Even the shuttle ride could give me a good belt in the shoulder.

John U - thanks for the feedback - will look into what Dainese have for the larger man. Maybe you grab a new one in time for all the shuttles to start for the 2014/15 downhill season.
Nerdbox - I did the series last year and realise that a pressure suit isn't necessary but it seems the only way i can get some coverage for the top of my arm bone.
DCrofty - Thanks for the offer. I am around 6' 2" i think (a bit over 190 cm) and I've been sitting on the couch being a whingy of bastard for the last 6 weeks so i would be an XXL or if i am lucky and XL.
Bummer with the injury mate. I've done both shoulders a few times and my left humerous twice (2nd time needed a rod and bone graft). Be cautious with the humerous. I broke mine on the dirtbike the first time, then broke it again 3 months later in the same spot on the roadrace motorbike. Because of the way it broke in the same spot it didn't want to join hence the need for the op, graft and rod. It was feeling great and I had plenty of strength prior but bones may feel healed in 8 weeks but they are far from ready to crash on again. Particulary if you highside at Phillip Island.

slowmick

38-39"
wow - i can see how high siding at Phillip Island could damage a shoulder. Went for another session with the Osteo tonight. Told her i had entered the enduro series and ask how long she thought my rehab would take. She told me to sell the entry or write it off as i would not have full strength for at least 6 months. Gutted by this news but just can't bring myself to contact Ben. 6 months off would have me almost ready in time for the last round. keep holding out hope that it won't take taht long. started as 6 weeks from the doc at the hospital on the day i did it to essentially 8 months till i can bunny hop again. This sucks bad.