Body weight exercises to improve climbing and endurance?

slowmick

38-39"
Agreee is @ozzybmx. Did the Overland track in the first week of February - spanner water everywhere. Friends did it on boxing day and got thigh deep snow in places.

We used to camp at the Cathedral Ranges once Spring arrived. Jumping in the river cleared up your hangover pretty quickly.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Agreee is @ozzybmx. Did the Overland track in the first week of February - spanner water everywhere. Friends did it on boxing day and got thigh deep snow in places.
Beginning of Jan 2017, 28° in Hobart, drove across the Central Highlands to Cradle, it had 2" snow at the lakes. Got to Cradle and built a snowman at Marions lookout.
Tassie is different world.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I've walked the Overland 4 times, once in 5 days, once in 6, once in 7 and once over 10 days (with a lot of photography).

The 5 day walk was the only one done in summer (all others in the middle of winter), and it snowed and rained 4 of the 5 days. The other day was well over 30 degrees:oops:. I'll never walk it in anything other than winter again, it is much easier carrying gear for cold weather only.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hey all,

My wife is looking to buy some resistance bands and from what I've seen, these can be pretty effective for strengthening the back and legs etc.

Anyone here had positive results from using them?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Hey all,

My wife is looking to buy some resistance bands and from what I've seen, these can be pretty effective for strengthening the back and legs etc.

Anyone here had positive results from using them?
Yes. They are great, though a little dull, so long as you maintain good form. Get the full range of colours to expand the range of exercises you can perform, and allow for progression.

You are still better off forgetting about them and getting a TRX.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

HamboCairns

Yes. They are great, though a little dull, so long as you maintain good form. Get the full range of colours to expand the range of exercises you can perform, and allow for progression.

You are still better off forgetting about them and getting a TRX.

What's better about trx?

Neither of us like going to the gym so anything is an improvement for us!

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
What's better about trx?

Neither of us like going to the gym so anything is an improvement for us!
Far more versatile. You can exercise any muscle, and you have near infinite progression potential. YouTube TRX exercises for a few ideas. I's Y's T's front and rear are my fave. Progression of squats are really good too. We expect to see you showing off your pistol squat prowess at the trail head soon.

HamboCairns

Far more versatile. You can exercise any muscle, and you have near infinite progression potential. YouTube TRX exercises for a few ideas. I's Y's T's front and rear are my fave. Progression of squats are really good too. We expect to see you showing off your pistol squat prowess at the trail head soon.

I'll definitely check it out!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

I suffer from running out of steam when doing climbing or pinch climbs, my thigh muscles feel fatigued and I have to stop for a while.

Any ideas on exercises or Youtube routines that don't rely on a gym or weights that I can follow to improve this?
with the time you have in your week, what's going to give you the best time to fitness gain? Then we need to think about the specificity of the exercise and how that should match the target you're looking for. So time in the gym vs time on the bike?

Bike wins as you can break down the target you're after through specific routines.

problem with mtb is we don't have enough longer sustained controlled efforts, so road bike is the most effective in building your endurance fitness base, power, strength etc. that translates very well off road as long as you have the skill set for dirt riding.

your thigh muscles are fatiguing, that means stronger thighs right?, nope it don't. that means poor technique, as you're not using the largest muscle in your body, gluteus maximus effectively.

you build your arse muscle by stressing it over a period of time and that's what the road bike will give you as you can do longer efforts at a level where you train your body to recruit that muscle group for power instead of relying on your quads.

example, watch Cadel, he uses quads specific initially in the big ring, he then settles into a rhythm using gluts to power himself through

HamboCairns

with the time you have in your week, what's going to give you the best time to fitness gain? Then we need to think about the specificity of the exercise and how that should match the target you're looking for. So time in the gym vs time on the bike?

Bike wins as you can break down the target you're after through specific routines.

problem with mtb is we don't have enough longer sustained controlled efforts, so road bike is the most effective in building your endurance fitness base, power, strength etc. that translates very well off road as long as you have the skill set for dirt riding.

your thigh muscles are fatiguing, that means stronger thighs right?, nope it don't. that means poor technique, as you're not using the largest muscle in your body, gluteus maximus effectively.

you build your arse muscle by stressing it over a period of time and that's what the road bike will give you as you can do longer efforts at a level where you train your body to recruit that muscle group for power instead of relying on your quads.

example, watch Cadel, he uses quads specific initially in the big ring, he then settles into a rhythm using gluts to power himself through

That's really handy to know. I don't have a road bike but I can certainly ride 15-20km to the Palm Cove and back!

HamboCairns

After an age of asking loads of questions but not being arsed about actually doing something about it, I've started doing kettlebells with a friend.

I'm starting off on a 12kg kettlebell and our routine is this -

20 x front swings
20 x goblin squats
10 x pushups
20 x shoulder presses
20 x lying down from behind the head and into your stomach things (there's probably a name for it!)

We did two rounds (he's capable of more than this, I'm not!). We'll do the same next week then see if we can ramp it up to 3x!

I'm hoping this improves my climbing, standing and cornering, as well as delaying stalling on repeated pinch climbs.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice work, I must admit I've been feeling heaps better on the bike lately after focusing extra exercise on core and also push-ups. But also overall upper body including shoulders, biceps etc.
Core for going uphill, push-ups for going down.

But again nothing is going to make you feel stronger riding uphill than conditioning the legs for going uphill.
Only way I've ever found a way of doing that is to ride more up hills lol.

Was feeling a little down in that department lately myself, so starting to focus on elevation again to get my mojo back. Starting last weekend.

Due to lockdown, options are limited. So to try and get back into it I knew of the steepest hills in my local area, so just smashed out as many of them as I could in 2 hours. Not the most exciting thing to do in your life, but my god does it make a difference to how you feel the next ride out and just gets better from there.

Off bike exercise is great, but will never make up for smashing out the hills on the bike. Even if just boring weekday rides through the local neighbourhood backstreets. Set your focus on the steepest hill and go for it as many times as you can.

HamboCairns

Nice work, I must admit I've been feeling heaps better on the bike lately after focusing extra exercise on core and also push-ups. But also overall upper body including shoulders, biceps etc.
Core for going uphill, push-ups for going down.

But again nothing is going to make you feel stronger riding uphill than conditioning the legs for going uphill.
Only way I've ever found a way of doing that is to ride more up hills lol.

Was feeling a little down in that department lately myself, so starting to focus on elevation again to get my mojo back. Starting last weekend.

Due to lockdown, options are limited. So to try and get back into it I knew of the steepest hills in my local area, so just smashed out as many of them as I could in 2 hours. Not the most exciting thing to do in your life, but my god does it make a difference to how you feel the next ride out and just gets better from there.

Off bike exercise is great, but will never make up for smashing out the hills on the bike. Even if just boring weekday rides through the local neighbourhood backstreets. Set your focus on the steepest hill and go for it as many times as you can.

View attachment 378797
I have several I can attack. Long slogs or short sharp hills?

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have several I can attack. Long slogs or short sharp hills?
Longest one was 2 half minutes, about 40m elevation.
I am spoiled as they are quite steep, average around 7% but push up to 10%. But if you don't have steep but still have the elevation, just push a bit harder for what you have. Mix it up between spinning high rpm and grinding a bit.

HamboCairns

Longest one was 2 half minutes, about 40m elevation.
I am spoiled as they are quite steep, average around 7% but push up to 10%. But if you don't have steep but still have the elevation, just push a bit harder for what you have. Mix it up between spinning high rpm and grinding a bit.
I can only grind when it comes to Hills!

HamboCairns

Two rounds of the following with an increase to the 15kg kettlebell, with a bonus 20 x front swings when I finished! Just need to hit the hills and get some climbing in the legs.

20 x front swings
20 x goblin squats
10 x pushups
10 x shoulder presses
20 x lying down and lifting the kb over your head and pulling elbows towards the sides