Bomber Z1 coil upgrade thoughts

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Wondering if anyone has converted their fork to coil and what their thoughts are on the change long term with time to reflect.

The Z1 looks like it can take either the smashpot or the z1 coil with the push ACS not being compatible.
Anyone had experiences with z1 coil v smashpot? Is the smashpot worth the extra $150?

My experience with coil on the rear has been to go 1 rung up from what ever the highest figure the calculator or chart is reccomending. Is that the same experience people have had with forks?

Anything to consider aside from weight, i don't really care about weight as much because its going on an e-bike.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Haha - I have the bits to convert my Z1 to coil with the Marz kit & spring, but am now off the bike for 5 weeks or so... Can update once I'm back on the bike, but it won't be quite the back-to-back comparison I was hoping for.

@wkkie has a factory coil Z1 on one of his bikes though.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Like @beeb said, I've got the Z1 coil on the Zerode. I went with the heaviest spring and it takes a lot to get it to full travel.

If you're going down the Z1 factory coil conversion path I'd recommend that of you are in the lower quarter of the weight they recommend then go the lower weight spring, especially on an ebike.

I can't compare it to an air or a Vorsprung conversion, but the breakaway is good and it sits well in the mid and doesn't dive around.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Like @beeb said, I've got the Z1 coil on the Zerode. I went with the heaviest spring and it takes a lot to get it to full travel.

If you're going down the Z1 factory coil conversion path I'd recommend that of you are in the lower quarter of the weight they recommend then go the lower weight spring, especially on an ebike.

I can't compare it to an air or a Vorsprung conversion, but the breakaway is good and it sits well in the mid and doesn't dive around.
I'm 105kg so I'm thinking the x-firm spring will suit me well.

But would you mind elaborating if only briefly why you'd want a softer srping on an e-bike. It seems like manufacturers also think this way with their e-bike specific forks and I can't seem to understand why?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green

But would you mind elaborating if only briefly why you'd want a softer srping on an e-bike. It seems like manufacturers also think this way with their e-bike specific forks and I can't seem to understand why?
The softer spring will help with small bump and getting full travel more often.

They're not as good as I was thinking / expecting with the coil up front. This could be due to the lack of adjustability / fork functions, but I think a softer spring would help both those areas.

With the softer spring you'll get more movement in the compression, something that I don't think will be as much of an issue with the power of the ebike, but with that you'll have more active suspension and use more travel more of the time.

teK--

Eats Squid
Been running smashpot ony fox36 for over 8 months and don't regret it.

Advantage of smashpot over the z1 coil is you have option of springs in 5lb increments and also on the fly adjustable hydraulic bottom out system which works really really well.

Downside is it's a bit more fiddly to get it set up right with no noises.

With coil forks the difference with a great setup and one that feels average is getting the ideal spring weight for you. With the smashpot probably budget for 2 springs as its a bit of trial and error.

teK--

Eats Squid

Probably because efficiency is less of a priority when you have a motor that can help you plough through everything. That said, I think the suspension still needs to be firm enough for the chassis to be balanced front/rear and be composed. No point having forks and shock super plush with a motor, if the bike pitches and dives excessively.

beeb

Thinking about this now too. Any update on how it went/didnt? @gillyske @beeb
Still haven't done mine mate. Surgery recovery has been slower than expected, so riding isn't quite back on the agenda yet. Will probably still do the conversion in the next couple of weeks though, so will be able to offer comment on that side after it's done. Any (wothwhile) ride impressions might take a bit longer sorry.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Still haven't done mine mate. Surgery recovery has been slower than expected, so riding isn't quite back on the agenda yet. Will probably still do the conversion in the next couple of weeks though, so will be able to offer comment on that side after it's done. Any (wothwhile) ride impressions might take a bit longer sorry.
Thoughts now?

beeb

Thoughts now?
The conversion was easy enough (assuming you have the right tools/oils), but I've only ridden it around the backyard so far. It's more supple for sure, and support seems fine (plus the preload adjuster makes a decent difference if desired) but hard to say more than that without riding it on proper trails. Going to have to be patient if you're waiting on me as it'll probably be a week or two yet until I get the new bike finished (waiting on parts), and I'm going to be very out of condition when I get back out there so any comments will be with that caveat attached until I feel up to speed again...

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The conversion was easy enough (assuming you have the right tools/oils), but I've only ridden it around the backyard so far. It's more supple for sure, and support seems fine (plus the preload adjuster makes a decent difference if desired) but hard to say more than that without riding it on proper trails. Going to have to be patient if you're waiting on me as it'll probably be a week or two yet until I get the new bike finished (waiting on parts), and I'm going to be very out of condition when I get back out there so any comments will be with that caveat attached until I feel up to speed again...
Honestly you need to treat this more like a bike mag/website review and just tell me it’s the best thing you’ve ever done. This will then confirm my bias and after I do it I can agree and reinforce your bias and the mtb circle of justification will be complete.

beeb

Honestly you need to treat this more like a bike mag/website review and just tell me it’s the best thing you’ve ever done. This will then confirm my bias and after I do it I can agree and reinforce your bias and the mtb circle of justification will be complete.
Well it did feel pretty damn good, love the lack of stiction in the breakaway. Intrigued to see how the support/bottom-out resistance feels deep in the travel, but it should be fine I reckon.